Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98513 - 10/26/00 10:15 PM we need helpful hints on back bouncing/salmon
BIG D Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: aloha, or u.s.
we looked on the search and found a little, but still need help with the best way to backbounce. Is it better to row the boat or anchor up when back bouncing or kwikfish fishing? We've had luck anchored up, but we hear it's better to row, also what's the best way to rig it-on a slider or a fixed setup? We usually use fixed-but any hints will help. On the Oregon coastal rivers their only about 4-12 ft deep. Any other hints or favorite methods will be appreciated thanks-BIG D AND BOBBER KING

------------------

#98514 - 10/26/00 11:16 PM Re: we need helpful hints on back bouncing/salmon
tyeeterror Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Humboldt Nation
big d
heres my 2 bits, i am not a guide or expert, but i have learned through trial and error. first on back bouncing bait, it depends on the size of fish in the river your in. the smaller rivers with fish up to 20 to 30 lbs i used 10 mainline and 12 lb leader with a double non sliding hook system. i use size one hooks with a bait loop. i put my roe on the upper hook along with a puff ball. my leaders are usually 4 to 5 feet long to a 3 way swivel. i tie a 8 inch dropper (8lb test) off the lower swivel and a half hitch to easily change wieghts. set up in the top of a run and start heavy with weights and lighten as needed. in clear water i like my baits at least 50 feet from the boat. i use g.loomis hs1021 rods. for big water and fish i use the same system with 15 to 20 mainline and 12-15 lb leader. i use g.loomis bbr864 rods for this. as far as anchoring or moving i would say if your catching fish anchored and not tying up a hole thats the way to go. usually its better to start at the top and slowly move down covering the whole run.
as far as kwickfish i use a 20lb mainline with a 5 foot 40 lb leader. i would allways use a sardine wrap if possible. there numerous posts on how to wrap sardines. the key to plugs is to fish them slow and try to cover the entire run. i tell the guys in my boat that once a fish hits to let him take a little drag and then clamp a finger down on the drag and nail em. by letting the fish take a little drag it allows the fish to turn down river and when you set the hook you have a better chance sticking one. i have seen it a bunch of times, guys getting slammed and raring back and coming up empty. anyways hope this helps
mike

#98515 - 10/26/00 11:42 PM Re: we need helpful hints on back bouncing/salmon
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: White Salmon, WA
Sounds like tyeeterror has a good system. I'll just add as for anchoring or easiing your boat down, that would depend on the size of the hole and whether you think it holds fish. If it's a small hole that's marginal you may just want to back through it a time or two. If it's a small hole that looks good, I'd probably anchor at the head if I could and back my line through it over and over. Cover as much side to side as you can.
In larger holes you may loose line control if you back your line down too far. Lots of line out may deaden the feel of grabs and may create a lot of belly that will make it tough to get a good hook set--especially in swirly chinookey holes. So it may be better to back the boat down for a longer controlled drift then row back up.
Good luck

#98516 - 10/27/00 12:11 PM Re: we need helpful hints on back bouncing/salmon
BIG D Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: aloha, or u.s.
Thanks for the reply guys we needed it. Usually it's just me and my brother in the boat so I anchor up so we can both fish, but that's pretty much how we were doing it, any other tips or hints will be appreciated too-- thanks
Big D

------------------

[This message has been edited by BIG D (edited 10-27-2000).]

#98517 - 10/29/00 10:31 AM Re: we need helpful hints on back bouncing/salmon
TSG Offline
Alevin

Loc: Kennewick WA USA
Just my two cents,,, Not alott of help if your rowing but, we found if you are useing a kicker motor when a person gets a strike we throtle the motor. We were having prob's with loosing fishing on the strike, when we started gassing it on a strike we havnt lost neer as many. We have ben back trolling, using a Mag Jetdiver and eggs on a sliding setup. some times were in water only 7 to 8feet. If your interested in eggs, check the past postes on eggcures.
Todd

#98518 - 10/29/00 04:16 PM Re: we need helpful hints on back bouncing/salmon
David Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Homer, Alaska
I went on a few charters in Mexico where they used the boat to set the hook, it's a pretty common practice down there I guess. It sure did wake us up the first time though, the water was getting rough and we were about outta time and all of the sudden the captain floored both the diesels and we took off full speed, meanwhile the mate was running down from the flying bridge, and one of the rods was screaming. We were too lost and confused for a second to figure out what was happening, and by the time we slowed down again it was off. We got a marlin on a different boat the next day and the captain did the same thing, ever since then I've always wanted to try it for salmon, guess someone already has:-)

#98519 - 11/02/00 12:42 AM Re: we need helpful hints on back bouncing/salmon
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
Stinkfoot had some good info in his post. I just wanted to add that if you can hold at the head of the hole, then do so, regardless of the size of the hole. You'll get multiple presentations and much more coverage from an anchored boat. Another thing, when bouncing and moving I feel that the line angle is important. Try to keep the bait bouncing just out in front of the boat at a 40-45 degree angle. If the boat starts overrunning the bait, then lighten up on the lead. Most of the time during fall a 3/4 to 2 ounce weight is all you'll need while moving.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |