LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#985300 - 02/11/18 07:09 PM Just WHERE did you come from?
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Anyone who's curious really should give this WDFW database a whirl. The first time I tried a few months back, I didn't get very far... but I've got some helpful hints for anyone else who's had difficulty.

https://data.wa.gov/Natural-Resources-Environment/WDFW-Coded-Wire-Tag-Fish-Recoveries/auvb-4rvk/data

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#985394 - 02/13/18 12:53 PM Re: Just WHERE did you come from? [Re: eyeFISH]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
According to the DNA results, I am:

35% West Europe
18% Great Britain
16% Scandinavian
9% Iberian Peninsula
9% Ireland/Scotland/Wales

Low Confidence Regions:

7% East Europe
3% South Europe
2% Caucasus
1% European Jewish

Migrations:

Lower Midwest and Virginia Settlers

So, now you know.

#985395 - 02/13/18 01:02 PM Re: Just WHERE did you come from? [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Surprised that no one else chimed in about the utility of this CWT database.

In times past, I've always taken the opportunity to fill out the creeler's card with my name and address so that I'd receive a courtesy letter informing me of just where the fish was hatched. It's the ONLY "cool" factor about getting checked in the first place. In 2017, the WDFW creel program got rid of the manually written cards (understandably so given the labor-intensive reply process and the fiscal burden of snail mail) and replaced them with this self-serve web-based application.

Seriously, did ANY one else even try it this year?

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#985404 - 02/13/18 02:35 PM Re: Just WHERE did you come from? [Re: eyeFISH]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Didn't know about it. Will look into it if we're fishing WA waters this year. I turn in snouts in BC and get nice reports with maps and data from DFO when a tagged fish is identified.

#985406 - 02/13/18 02:53 PM Re: Just WHERE did you come from? [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

One day while fishing with Katosan last summer, the checker's magic wand beeped not once BUT TWICE as we off-loaded our catch. With glee, the checker measured and cut the snouts off a plump tule and a skinny little dinker "coho". Once we got home to the cutting table, I was a bit mortified to discover the snoutless dink silver CLEARLY had BLACK gums and a few oval black spots in the upper lobe of the tail. That "coho" slipped past and was misidentified by two salmon guru's and the fish checker... OOPS!

So what was the verdict?

This CHROME butterball of an ocean tule came from the Big Creek hatchery on the lower Columbia.

And the dinker mis-ID'd "coho"?

That hatchery king was released from the San Joaquin net pens at Sherman Island (thanks JD Richey) after being hatched at the Mokelumne River Hatchery.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#985445 - 02/14/18 12:55 PM Re: Just WHERE did you come from? [Re: eyeFISH]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Surprised that no one else chimed in about the utility of this CWT database.

In times past, I've always taken the opportunity to fill out the creeler's card with my name and address so that I'd receive a courtesy letter informing me of just where the fish was hatched. It's the ONLY "cool" factor about getting checked in the first place. In 2017, the WDFW creel program got rid of the manually written cards (understandably so given the labor-intensive reply process and the fiscal burden of snail mail) and replaced them with this self-serve web-based application.

Seriously, did ANY one else even try it this year?

Is there a guide to using this database?

I’ve never been checked by a fish checker. I’ve seen them when launching but they were gone when I got back.

#985450 - 02/14/18 01:46 PM Re: Just WHERE did you come from? [Re: eyeFISH]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I see the checker VERY rarely. When I have seen them, they will “wand” my catch. I’ve had a few that had tags. I know I’ve had one (white king) from the Chehalis River in BC and one from the Cascade/Marblemount. I think I had one other from the Nooksack? There are all fish caught in the San Juans.

I’m always interested to find out where they are from. I didn’t realized they changed the system in 2017 but I suppose it saves some pennies on postage? Now if they could just modernize their license and catch record systems...

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |