Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#984959 - 02/05/18 09:11 AM Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Two women died Friday after rough surf swept them off the beach as they dug for clams.

A 70 year old was reported missing, in the Long beach area and a 61 was missing in the Tokeland area. Both bodies were found Saturday.

Please be vigilant.....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#985451 - 02/14/18 01:53 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
http://abcnews.go.com/US/clammers-disappear-die-separate-eerily-similar-drownings/story?id=52855434

Both died with limits heading back to the car. Totally tragic and avoidable!
When do we start a common sense approach to our shellfish “seasons”?
There is no need for these planned late at night digs, or derby style shrimp and crab openings.
Razor Clams should be open November-April. Only closures for health advisories, and lack of abundance’s on certain beaches.

Shrimp and Crab should be close to year round. You get X amount of days to crab, you register online before you go out. It’s that simple.

#985453 - 02/14/18 02:19 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: Jake Dogfish]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Jake Dogfish
http://abcnews.go.com/US/clammers-disappear-die-separate-eerily-similar-drownings/story?id=52855434

Both died with limits heading back to the car. Totally tragic and avoidable!
When do we start a common sense approach to our shellfish “seasons”?
There is no need for these planned late at night digs, or derby style shrimp and crab openings.
Razor Clams should be open November-April. Only closures for health advisories, and lack of abundance’s on certain beaches.

Shrimp and Crab should be close to year round. You get X amount of days to crab, you register online before you go out. It’s that simple.

This is a ridiculous post. Most minus tides occur after dark throughout most of the winter. Both of these deaths could have been avoided by a little common sense. DO NOT become separated from your "buddy". Do not clam alone. Do not turn your back on waves. What this has to do with shrimping and crabbing is beyond me. For one a totally different set of safety procedures is called for when boating. If you are complaining about shrimp and crab, why not start a different thread rather then just throwing crap into whatever thread you read? And I don't like the idea of limiting crab harvest to a certain limit of days. What if it's a bad day? Still gets counted against you? And I should register with the state prior to going out? That will be a cold day in hell!
Melanie was knocked down by an incoming wave years ago, pushed her right up the beach. As we do not get separated I was there for her. We laughed, but she uses more caution about waves these days. Be safe out there, we are. Bob R

#985454 - 02/14/18 02:43 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

There are plenty of daytime tides. These Women lost there lives because they got turned around in the surf with lights in every direction.
In a small group this would not happen. I don’t know why you would not want more opportunities to Clam?

For Crab and shrimp obviously I am talking about Puget Sound where we have limited seasons and punch cards for crab.
You probably don’t know about this since you are busy killing wild fish and starting flame wars on posting forums.

#985457 - 02/14/18 02:56 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: Jake Dogfish]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

There are plenty of daytime tides. These Women lost there lives because they got turned around in the surf with lights in every direction.
In a small group this would not happen. I don’t know why you would not want more opportunities to Clam?

For Crab and shrimp obviously I am talking about Puget Sound where we have limited seasons and punch cards for crab.
You probably don’t know about this since you are busy killing wild fish and starting flame wars on posting forums.

What a joke! Like we need more dates for clamming? You'ed have to be a pretty poor digger to need more dates. As far as "killing wild fish" just what are you basing this on? I don't fish for steelhead, and if you think that pointing out absurd ideas is "starting flame wars" with clowns like you it's shooting fish in a barrel. Having a "flame war" with you would be like picking a fight with a 5 year old. Your previous posts speak volumes along those lines. And I lived in the Puget Sound area for 25 years and crabbed quite a bit until the tribes wiped them out in the South Sound. I DO keep wild kings in the ocean, If you think we should throw them back to give more opportunities to the tribes, then YOU throw them back. If you don't want people to comment on stupid ideas then don't post them. And it's not like I see you at any state meetings we go to .Bob R

#985462 - 02/14/18 04:11 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Summer crabbing in Puget Sound begins 1 July and runs five days a week through Labor Day - not exactly a derby mentality unless one believes that crab can only be caught on the opening week (which may be closer to the truth than I want to acknowledge given the way it has been going).

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#985464 - 02/14/18 04:39 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: bob r]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: bob r

What a joke! Like we need more dates for clamming? You'ed have to be a pretty poor digger to need more dates. As far as "killing wild fish" just what are you basing this on? I don't fish for steelhead, and if you think that pointing out absurd ideas is "starting flame wars" with clowns like you it's shooting fish in a barrel. Having a "flame war" with you would be like picking a fight with a 5 year old. Your previous posts speak volumes along those lines. And I lived in the Puget Sound area for 25 years and crabbed quite a bit until the tribes wiped them out in the South Sound. I DO keep wild kings in the ocean, If you think we should throw them back to give more opportunities to the tribes, then YOU throw them back. If you don't want people to comment on stupid ideas then don't post them. And it's not like I see you at any state meetings we go to .Bob R

Wow! I like it! Way to get your dander up Bob.

#985469 - 02/14/18 05:08 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: RUNnGUN]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Wow! I like it! Way to get your dander up Bob. [/quote]

Yeah, well, I get pissed when other rec folks push ideas that curtail other fishermen's opportunities to harvest food. It's not like clams are in short supply, but open it to unlimited clamming is a sure way to screw over all of us. The digs are set by abundance, we even get extra days sometimes due to tribal folks being generous when they have a surplus. It's not always "us vs. them". We've lost more then enough opportunities as it is.
And Larry B. is spot on, "derby mentality" indeed ! Why limit crabbers by how many days they go out? If you don't catch legal crab why lose a day?
I never heard either of his suggestions proposed when input is asked for by the state, if either was suggested at the state level I'm sure LOTS of us would have responded in a negative manner.
Oh, and one more thing. I am sorry that two people lost their lives doing something that we enjoy greatly, BUT if their partner had not lost sight of them (don't get more then 10 ft. from your partner) they prob. would still be alive. A lesson for all, the sea is unforgiving. Bob R

Edited by bob r (02/14/18 05:12 PM)

#985480 - 02/14/18 09:06 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: bob r]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
there's a couple things that could have happened. followed the surf out too far, too old to move fast, rogue wave, got knocked over by wave and disoriented. my guess is rogue wave like the one at Pacific beach some years ago that went halfway up to where the cars were parked and took out many lanterns. we noticed it was coming in too much and quickly headed up the beach, it would have been thigh deep where we were digging had we not got out of there

#985494 - 02/15/18 07:26 AM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: Jake Dogfish]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
Jake should go back and read his attached news article again, he made some assumptions on the cause. There was mention of a "big wave" but no definitive cause for the accidents. I'm sure these deaths could have been prevented but no one know what happened including Jake

#985496 - 02/15/18 07:29 AM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
If you want to go back to the old days of long seasons it is really easy. Just reduce the catch per day so that instead of (say) 10 you get 100. Reduce the limit to 1/10 of what it is or reduce the daily effort to 1/10.

The fisheries are set to fish to a number. Just give ideas to hit that number with more days.

Wait, the answer is hatcheries. WDF did have, at one time, a Razor Clam hatchery. Get Brian Blake to sponsor a bill that would put one on every beach and we can fish all year. 'Cept maybe for that Domoic Acid thingy.

RC bios have told me, though, that much of or RC production of young comes from a relatively small area and turrets spread them up and down the coastline.

#985532 - 02/15/18 06:55 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

I'm always hearing about Homer Alaska and the razor clam digging.....the following article was interesting....

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska_new...19bb30f31a.html

Limit change from 60 clams to 25.......

#985537 - 02/15/18 07:25 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The limit on the east side Cook Inlet beaches was historically 60 a day and 180 in possession from the 1960's. Every diggable tide is open all year, but most of the traffic happens from May - Sept.

As numbers and sizes of clams at Clam Gulch started to decline, the state decided to reduce the limit to 45 a day with 90 in possession out of concern for frank wastage. Who the hell needs 180 clams per person anyway?

Oh how the locals HOWLED about taking food off Alaskan dinner plates! Within one board cycle, the limit was restored back to 60/120 despite dwindling numbers and size.

Then the bottom finally fell out, esp at Ninilchik.

The limit was reduced by emergency order to 25/25 in 2013.

By 2014 the entire population had utterly collapsed and clamming was completely CLOSED. It has remained closed ever since.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#985541 - 02/15/18 07:35 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Interesting how fish managers are so unwilling to consider the possibility of over-exploitation until the stock is virtually on death's door.

In the Motherland, we Ornamentals call this the foo king principle.

They are completely unable/unwilling to do the right thing until it's too foo king late! Same old story, just like salmon and steelhead

Interesting excerpt from an ADFG technical report as the issue was being brought forward to the Board of Fisheries back in 2010.

"A frequent response from diggers to the lack of clams or lack of large clams north of Ninilchik was a concern that the resource was overharvested and restrictions were needed. Although this response is understandable, examination of the fishery reveals that restrictions are unnecessary for conservation and would likely have little or no effect. "

J F C !

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#985547 - 02/15/18 07:58 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: Carcassman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
If you want to go back to the old days of long seasons it is really easy. Just reduce the catch per day so that instead of (say) 10 you get 100. Reduce the limit to 1/10 of what it is or reduce the daily effort to 1/10.

I was on the beach in the late 60's, granted the season was long...I'm not sure it ever closed????

What I remember was digging, mostly at night...and having VERY FEW other diggers.

If I had my way, out of Stators would be paying many times what they pay now for a license......I know its good for tourism but tough on the resource.

What many readers don't know....At one time, you could get a "commercial license" and dig as many as you wanted....wash tubs full, oh hell,,,,many don't know what a wash tub was....lmfao

#985557 - 02/15/18 08:59 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: Carcassman]
Bofus Offline
Eyed Egg

Originally Posted By: Carcassman

...Wait, the answer is hatcheries. WDF did have, at one time, a Razor Clam hatchery. Get Brian Blake to sponsor a bill that would put one on every beach and we can fish all year. 'Cept maybe for that Domoic Acid thingy.

RC bios have told me, though, that much of or RC production of young comes from a relatively small area and turrets spread them up and down the coastline.

FYI The hatchery was at the Willapa Bay Shellfish Lab (now called Willapa Bay Field Station) in Nahcotta. It started out as a pilot project (mid 1980's ) just to see if they could be reared in a hatchery environment. Once they found they could it morphed into an enhancement project. Biggest problem was they could never prove any of the clams they planted survived to make a contribution to the fishery. They tried various ways to mark with dyes, tetracycline, etc but didn't find anything effective.

At that same time they had a subtidal enhancement program that ran out of Montesano. They would collect clams just offshore in 20' of water or so. They towed a small sled with jets that would liquify the sand just enough to collect set clams ( 3/4 inch or smaller). They would get maybe 4-5 5 gallon buckets full of set clams a day and would then relay them for transplant to the research areas that were set up. Once again they couldn't prove it made any difference and both programs were defunded in 1988 or 1989.

#985559 - 02/15/18 09:14 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
Bofus Offline
Eyed Egg

[/quote]
What many readers don't know....At one time, you could get a "commercial license" and dig as many as you wanted....wash tubs full, oh hell,,,,many don't know what a wash tub was....lmfao [/quote]

There still is a commercial razor clam fishery which occurs only on the detached spits at the mouth of Willapa Bay. Been closed the past two years due to biotoxins but they might get a shot this year. Season used to start when the rec season ended but now usually starts April 1 and goes 8 weeks or so. Need a boat get there. Need a right of entry permit from DNR and a commercial license from WDFW. All landings have to go on fish receiving tickets. There is info and past fishery reports on the WDFW website if you are interested. Good diggers in good years can do a couple hundred pounds on a tide....average digger maybe 1/3 that.

Edited by Bofus (02/15/18 09:15 PM)

#985560 - 02/15/18 09:50 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I have a letter from IDFG where somebody had asked them how they managed trout. Note the acronyms. It was (kinda/sorta) tongue in cheek as more "real" information followed but it really does describe how management is accomplished.

1. Fish Until Community Collapses Under Pressure (FUCCUP)
2. Planning As Needed In Crisis (PANIC)
3. Synthesis in Nature (SIN) hatcheries......
4. Restore Ecosystem Production Emphasizing Native Trout (REPENT)

It's an endless cycle, FUCCUP, PANIC, SIN, and REPENT

#985562 - 02/15/18 11:23 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: Bofus]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Bofus
[/quote]
What many readers don't know....At one time, you could get a "commercial license" and dig as many as you wanted....wash tubs full, oh hell,,,,many don't know what a wash tub was....lmfao

There still is a commercial razor clam fishery which occurs only on the detached spits at the mouth of Willapa Bay. Been closed the past two years due to biotoxins but they might get a shot this year. Season used to start when the rec season ended but now usually starts April 1 and goes 8 weeks or so. Need a boat get there. Need a right of entry permit from DNR and a commercial license from WDFW. All landings have to go on fish receiving tickets. There is info and past fishery reports on the WDFW website if you are interested. Good diggers in good years can do a couple hundred pounds on a tide....average digger maybe 1/3 that. [/quote]

I know that the commercial crabbers have used commercial permits to dig razors for crab bait (!). Don't know if this is still done, but it was 10 years or so ago. Bob R

#985590 - 02/16/18 03:18 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: BW]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: BW
Jake should go back and read his attached news article again, he made some assumptions on the cause. There was mention of a "big wave" but no definitive cause for the accidents. I'm sure these deaths could have been prevented but no one know what happened including Jake

http://www.chinookobserver.com/co/local-news/20180206/two-die-in-rare-winter-drownings

Quote:
Both parties left lights on to make it easier to navigate back to their vehicles in the dark, Matlock said. But he noted that there were numerous boats not far from shore that also had lights on. It’s possible that one or both of the women became disoriented, he said.

I didnt make the assumptions. Your right no one knows. But two Women died on seperate beaches at the same time under nearly identical circumstances.
This is after WDFW and social media annoucements of planned night time clam digs. These announcements bring in people from all around.
What will happen at some point is we will lose the ability to have night time digs for safety reasons. Then we will have less opportunites.
This can be prevented by having reasonable seasons like everywhere else on the West Coast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |