Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#985630 - 02/16/18 10:33 PM Department says Transparency, I say BS
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
There is some interesting inclusions in the latest WDFW News Release.

Pay close attention to the two paragraphs with the large font and bolded:

Plenary Meetings and Conference Calls.

Lorrain Loomis agreed to hold a plenary meeting as a method to increase transparency. Although Ron Warren agreed that the details of plenary meetings would be shared with the public before any such meetings were agreed to, once again, the department lied! I can tell you, what Lorraine proposed is the tribal representative giving us a lecture on the cultural value of salmon. It included absolutely nothing about increased transparency or open meetings.

Conference calls; Now we need to ask, just what is going to be "shared" with the stakeholders. We already found out with the RMP that the department WILL NOT release ANY INFORMATION that the tribes do not want them to release, so why should we "TRUST" the department to give us anything other than more BS.

How does the saying go? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

I don't know about you guys, but I see right through this BS! They are again trying to make it look like they are making things more transparent when in reality, they are just feeding us more BS in hope we let off the pressure!

Hey Ron, Brad and Commissioners, Why don't you just put a live video feed in these meetings like the Open Public Meeting Act tells you to, instead of extra meetings and calls. Saving money, time and potential law suits!

oh...that's right.....the tribes won't let you....

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

February 16, 2018

Public can participate in 2018 salmon season-setting process, rule simplification

OLYMPIA – State fishery managers have scheduled a variety of opportunities for the public to participate in setting salmon fishing seasons for 2018, beginning at the annual salmon forecast meeting Feb. 27.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) will present initial forecasts compiled by state and tribal biologists of the 2018 salmon returns at the meeting scheduled from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Lacey Community Center, 6729 Pacific Ave. S.E., Olympia.

That meeting is one of more than 20 scheduled at various locations around the state as part of each year's salmon negotiations. A list of the meetings scheduled in 2018 can be found online at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/

State fishery managers will be relying on input from anglers, commercial fishers and others interested in salmon as they work to develop this year's fisheries, said Ron Warren, head of WDFW's fish program.

Additionally, fishery managers plan to discuss with the public ways to simplify salmon-fishing regulations, said Warren. Over the last two years, WDFW has been working to simplify regulations after hearing from the public that the state's fishing rules are too complex.

"It's really important for us to hear what the public has to say about salmon fisheries," Warren said. "I encourage people to get involved and share their ideas on fishing opportunities and ways we can simplify the rules for anglers."

In addition to attending meetings, other ways the public can participate include:

Online comments: The public can provide comments on fisheries and rule simplification through an online commenting tool as salmon seasons are developed. The online tool will be available in the coming weeks on WDFW's website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/

Plenary session: This year, the co-managers have agreed to invite the public to an informal discussion, which is tentatively scheduled to follow a state-tribal negotiating session in early April. Meeting information will be posted on the website listed above.

Conference calls and daily briefings: During the final days of negotiations, state fish managers will hold multiple briefings each day with the public as well as conference calls with constituents who can't attend.
State salmon managers scheduled these opportunities under guidance from the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission, a citizen panel appointed by the governor that sets policy for WDFW. Commissioners have instructed WDFW staff to continue to work with their tribal co-managers to make the season-setting process as transparent as possibl
e.

The annual process of setting salmon fishing seasons is called "North of Falcon" and is held in conjunction with public meetings conducted by the Pacific Fishery Management Council (PFMC). The council is responsible for establishing fishing seasons in ocean water three to 200 miles off the Pacific coast.

The PFMC is expected to adopt final ocean fishing seasons and harvest levels at its April 6-11 meeting in Portland, Ore. The 2018 salmon fisheries package for Washington's inside waters is expected to be completed by the state and tribal co-managers during the PFMC's April meeting.

Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email (dolores.noyes@dfw.wa.gov). For more information, see http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/reasonable_request.html.

This message has been sent to the WDFW All Information mailing list.
Visit the WDFW News Release Archive at: http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/
To UNSUBSCRIBE from this mailing list: http://wdfw.wa.gov/lists/unsubscribe.html

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#985634 - 02/17/18 05:16 AM Re: Department says Transparency, I say BS [Re: Bay wolf]
Great Bender Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Hood Canal
Definition of the word CHARADE: "an act or a pretense put on to make something appear different than what it is..."

When sizing up the sum total of contradiction and deception typical of WDFW Fisheries Management in recent years, the only consistent element--that one "constant" in nearly every statement, decision or action-- is clearly defined above. Little matter what the focus, issue or locale may be, you can readily depend on the charade moving forward.

Jim Unsworth was forced to walk the plank, but his crew of staffers and counsel carries on with status quo...and persists in telling us it's something else...

Edited by Great Bender (02/17/18 05:18 AM)

#985649 - 02/17/18 11:17 AM Re: Department says Transparency, I say BS [Re: Bay wolf]
Capt. Quint Offline
Parr

Loc: Amity Is., NY
I have another definition for you- AGENT PROVOCATEUR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_provocateur

Imagine the tribes offering to have a public "hearing" and a bunch of noisy, rude NT fishermen show up and make their feelings known. "See?" say the tribes, "THIS is why we have to keep the meetings private! Loud NT folks disrupting our business."

If you decide to attend, keep it classy gents...

#985653 - 02/17/18 11:51 AM Re: Department says Transparency, I say BS [Re: Capt. Quint]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
Why not, then, merely provide a live feed telecast so that interested persons can watch the process? It seems crystal clear to those who have been espousing transparency regarding these secretive meetings that the telecasts would be the next best things to open meetings. It is so obvious that the banning of at least the live telecasts is not acceptable, that there is a necessity for secrecy among WDFW and the affected tribes. Why is that?

#985654 - 02/17/18 11:52 AM Re: Department says Transparency, I say BS [Re: Capt. Quint]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Originally Posted By: Capt. Quint
I have another definition for you- AGENT PROVOCATEUR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_provocateur

Imagine the tribes offering to have a public "hearing" and a bunch of noisy, rude NT fishermen show up and make their feelings known. "See?" say the tribes, "THIS is why we have to keep the meetings private! Loud NT folks disrupting our business."

If you decide to attend, keep it classy gents...

Thank you, I’m very happy to be an agent of change!

Exactly why we are NOT advocating to have the meetings “open” for the general public to sit in. We ARE wanting the proceedings to be aired on the public access channel, like the Commission meetings are, so ALL the stakeholders can see and hear first hand how our Co-managers are working hard to insure fair and equitable fisheries while keeping true conservation as the priority. After all, if everything is on the up and up, why not? Simply repeating “Because we don’t want to.” is getting old. There is NO legal basis to exclude public oversight, it is purely done to keep things out of the public’s eye.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#985658 - 02/17/18 12:29 PM Re: Department says Transparency, I say BS [Re: Bay wolf]
Great Bender Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Hood Canal
Strange this "provocateur" discussion should come up. I have it on very good authority that the provocation element during present Co-Manager sessions is a major hindrance to good faith bargaining and productive movement forward--and is a tactic used with great regularity by the tribal factions.

Picture delegations from 18 Tribal groups bearing down on a sparsely numbered WDFW contingent with loud shouting and profanity as their common tactic, voicing their displeasure, ultimatums and demands, rather than proposals and options.

Not being there, we can only speculate as to the true character of these contentious get-togethers...and who is actually being truthful and primarily concerned with working together to protect the resource.

Now, argue against the use of close circuit video coverage--and the credibility it would spontaneously create.

#985665 - 02/17/18 01:22 PM Re: Department says Transparency, I say BS [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
A problem with taping/showing the discussions is that there would proof of what was said. No record, no witnesses, no problem.

Hard to claim "We didn't say that" when the tape shows exactly that.

I also suspect that there are trades/lawsuit threats under Boldt II/etc. that don't relate directly to fish that are part of the discussion.

#985742 - 02/19/18 12:51 PM Re: Department says Transparency, I say BS [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
I also suspect that there are trades/lawsuit threats under Boldt II/etc. that don't relate directly to fish that are part of the discussion.

Extortion, threats and intimidation don't play well under the light of public scrutiny.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#985750 - 02/19/18 02:44 PM Re: Department says Transparency, I say BS [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
American Politics doesn't stand up well to the light of day. Tribes didn't write the rules but they learned how to play really fast and really well.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, 1 invisible), 979 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645357 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |