THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#985635 - 02/17/18 07:28 AM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: Jake Dogfish]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
It's WDFW's best managed resource. We dig at night all the time. You can't dumb proof everything.

#985667 - 02/17/18 01:29 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
When I was involved with commercial management there were times when the fisherman had to make a decision. Do I fish in the storm or stay home. Some, unfortunately, died from going out. As an individual you have to decide whether or not conditions are safe for you.

With a limited resource we are fishing/clamming to a number. If numbers are left, more time is given.

There was another thought floated here that is of concern. Some view that the openings are for subsistence. Not that I eat what I catch but what I catch is what I have to eat. Recreational fisheries/hunts, at least in the populous states, are for recreation with the harvest being a benefit, especially with limited resources and an expanding human demand.

#985705 - 02/18/18 10:07 AM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: Jake Dogfish]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Jake Dogfish

I didnt make the assumptions. Your right no one knows. But two Women died on seperate beaches at the same time under nearly identical circumstances.
This is after WDFW and social media annoucements of planned night time clam digs. These announcements bring in people from all around.
What will happen at some point is we will lose the ability to have night time digs for safety reasons. Then we will have less opportunites.
This can be prevented by having reasonable seasons like everywhere else on the West Coast.

Do you really think that WDFW or someone else from the state is going to shut down night clamming because some folks don't use due caution when out in the real world at night? As pointed out above people make their own decisions as to whether or not to go out when the surf conditions (or marine conditions when boating) are marginal and thusly are either safe or not. It's their choice, not some hand holding state group. It has been pointed out that there are things you do to stay safe, the state advises people to use caution and not turn your back on waves. We've said clam in groups. Pay attention. What is it that you do not understand? Should we legislate against people who use due caution because of foolish people who pay with their lives?And where else on the West Coast do they have "Reasonable seasons" for razor clams that due not have night time digs? I'm having a harder and harder time figuring out where you are coming from, you seem to have a hard time in the darkness. Sounds like a personal issue, to me. Bob R

#985753 - 02/19/18 03:10 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
These Women lost there lives because they got turned around in the surf with lights in every direction.

Jake, that was an assumption. There was talk about a possible medical problem, and a big wave, and who all knows what else. We don't know for sure what happened and neither do you. Problem with most people is what they think happened soon become fact as far as they are concerned.

#985755 - 02/19/18 03:15 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Sad.

#986281 - 03/02/18 01:26 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: fish4brains]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Originally Posted By: fish4brains
It's WDFW's best managed resource. We dig at night all the time. You can't dumb proof everything.

That’s not saying much?

You certainly can’t dumb proof Wdfw. This announcement has been up for 3 days now without correction:

Razor clam digs approved March 2 and 3

Action: Opens Razor clam season

Effective date: 12:01 p.m. March 2 through 11:59 p.m. March 3, 2018

Digging is only allowed from: 12:01 a.m. through 11:59 a.m. each day.

Species affected: Razor clams

The specific low tides for this opener:

March 2, Friday - 6: 54 p.m.; -0.8 feet; Mocrocks

March 3, Saturday - 7: 34 p.m.; -0.3 feet; Mocrocks

Locations:

Mocrocks Beach, which extends from the Copalis River to the southern boundary of the Quinault Reservation near the Moclips River, including Iron Springs, Roosevelt Beach, Pacific Beach and Moclips.

Reason for action: Harvestable numbers of razor clams are available.

Information contact: Dan Ayres (360) 249-4628, Region 6 Montesano

Quote:

Sending folks out in the middle of the night with no chance at clams.

I have already seen posts on other non fishing sites asking if the digs are at night. Also there are the usual folks from Portland heading up with there shovels. Thanks to social media. Last year wdfw announced a dig, then closed it due to biotoxin. I know people that went anyway and had to toss there clams.
If the best way to manage our clam resources is by social media announced seasons then why not do that with all our non razor clam beaches?
Instead of several month to year round seasons we could have one day or weekend social media announced openers. Retired Folks in RVs could drive the whole circuit, hitting a new beach every weekend. Wipe every living thing off the beach and move on. This would flood our state parks and make things way easier for Wdfw to manage.
I am for the night time clam digs. Just not the current system of social media sending everyone to pound sand in the dark at the same spot at the same time. This will cause a end to night time clam digging, not just for the ocean but everywhere!
If we allow this to happen it will be our fault for saying “how high”? every time Wdfw asks us to jump.

#986293 - 03/02/18 03:18 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: Jake Dogfish]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

That’s not saying much?

You certainly can’t dumb proof Wdfw. This announcement has been up for 3 days now without correction:

Locations:

Mocrocks Beach, which extends from the Copalis River to the southern boundary of the Quinault Reservation near the Moclips River, including Iron Springs, Roosevelt Beach, Pacific Beach and Moclips.

Quote:

I have already seen posts on other non fishing sites asking if the digs are at night. Also there are the usual folks from Portland heading up with there shovels. Thanks to social media. Last year wdfw announced a dig, then closed it due to biotoxin. I know people that went anyway and had to toss there clams.
If the best way to manage our clam resources is by social media announced seasons then why not do that with all our non razor clam beaches?
Instead of several month to year round seasons we could have one day or weekend social media announced openers. Retired Folks in RVs could drive the whole circuit, hitting a new beach every weekend. Wipe every living thing off the beach and move on. This would flood our state parks and make things way easier for Wdfw to manage.
I am for the night time clam digs. Just not the current system of social media sending everyone to pound sand in the dark at the same spot at the same time. This will cause a end to night time clam digging, not just for the ocean but everywhere!
If we allow this to happen it will be our fault for saying “how high”? every time Wdfw asks us to jump.

If you had ever dug razor clams you would know that you can dig 2 hours before a low tide , usually we are limited out an hour in. This tide (Friday) means it will be light 'till 6:00 or so, at least an hour to dig. Your rant and logic are difficult to understand. The times posted are the times when tides are at their lowest. You think they should tell people different times to limit how much is harvested? I'm going to go dig clams now, have fun arguing about digging clams! Bob R

#986304 - 03/02/18 04:07 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
River Nutrients

If you read what was posted closely, and if we assume that is directly copied from WDFW, the OPENED digging from midnight to noon (AM is the morning) and the low tides are in the afternoon (PM).

I hope they simply screwed up the announcement and not the actual reg.

#986305 - 03/02/18 04:09 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: bob r]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: bob r

That’s not saying much?

Locations:

Quote:

If you had ever dug razor clams you would know that you can dig 2 hours before a low tide , usually we are limited out an hour in. This tide (Friday) means it will be light 'till 6:00 or so, at least an hour to dig. Your rant and logic are difficult to understand. The times posted are the times when tides are at their lowest. You think they should tell people different times to limit how much is harvested? I'm going to go dig clams now, have fun arguing about digging clams! Bob R

Can you read, bob?

#986306 - 03/02/18 04:12 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
River Nutrients

Just out of morbid curiosity I checked the WDFW announcement on their website. Yep, the allow digging in AM and the low tide is in the PM. So, all you folks out there tonight are in violation. Guess the agency needs money.

#986318 - 03/02/18 04:59 PM Re: Rough surf kills 2 women, clam digging [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
I just called Region 6....

They were not aware of the mistake........way it reads, could be lots of people digging tonight...

and then

could be lots of people digging in the morning.............

I just came home from Aberdeen......LOTS of vehicles heading West !!!!!

Hope LE is in a good mood..........

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (wolverine, steely slammer, 1 invisible), 980 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645365 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |