Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#985734 - 02/19/18 08:44 AM SFR. Forks Coffee Shop
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
Kinda weird eating breakfast across the street this morning.

#985739 - 02/19/18 11:08 AM Re: SFR. Forks Coffee Shop [Re: Jaydee]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
I'm not certain about the reference that you made to the coffee shop, but is it closed? I'm referring to what was known as "Pay and Save" for many years. Last summer when my wife and I went there on one of our trips, I was curious as to why the parking lot was empty early in the evening. The answer was simple, after we ordered and sampled our dinner we found it to be terrible! Good gawd the food was awful. Don't know if the old place is closed now, but if our example of last summer was common, it should be. Sad to see an icon go down, and I will remember all the good meals and on the river sack lunches I had from there over the last 45 years.

#985743 - 02/19/18 01:22 PM Re: SFR. Forks Coffee Shop [Re: Jaydee]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

I bet you remember the "Vagabond. We were just telling some late 80's stories the other day about it. I was telling my son what I saw during 2 different early AM winter steelhead trip breakfasts there. Both guys so drunk we witnessed them face plant in their omelettes. On one buddy turned around and forcefully fist slammed his table bouncing utensils all over. The dude just raised his face out of the omelette w/ a smile and hot melted cheese hanging off the side of his face. Then, right back in the omelette he went. Pretty funny. Only in Forks!

#985745 - 02/19/18 01:56 PM Re: SFR. Forks Coffee Shop [Re: Jaydee]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
A moment of silence for Hungry Harry's. South north is for sale too. Rumors that Sully's was going away.

Not sure what I'd do if South north closed. Some of my favorite Chinese. (Say what you want...)

#985747 - 02/19/18 02:00 PM Re: SFR. Forks Coffee Shop [Re: Tug 3]
BrianM Offline
Fry

Yes, sadly, I was out in Forks a week ago and found the Pay-n-Save coffee shop to be closed. I, and I'm sure others, will miss the long tradition of pre-dawn breakfasts there with all the guides and their clients and the anticipation and intrigue of "who caught what yesterday" and "who's going where today." It was part of the allure and mystique of "the steelhead capital of the world."

#985821 - 02/20/18 06:00 PM Re: SFR. Forks Coffee Shop [Re: BrianM]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
Brian,

Thanks for clearing that up that it was the ol' Pay and Save (not the Vagabond). It was an icon from an older era. Russ Thomas was quite a guy.

#985826 - 02/20/18 08:08 PM Re: SFR. Forks Coffee Shop [Re: Jaydee]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Just like the good ol spots of our younger years are disappearing, so goes the wonderful times we had and shared fishing.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#985833 - 02/21/18 06:42 AM Re: SFR. Forks Coffee Shop [Re: Jaydee]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
I wonder how many people are like me who chose to never again set foot in Forks or fish it because of the Mayor's shortsighted advocacy for overturning the C&R rule?

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#985834 - 02/21/18 07:30 AM Re: SFR. Forks Coffee Shop [Re: Tug 3]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Tug 3
Brian,

Thanks for clearing that up that it was the ol' Pay and Save (not the Vagabond). It was an icon from an older era. Russ Thomas was quite a guy.

Never said the discussion wasn't about the Pay n Save. I remember that also. Just was recalling funny events at the Vagabond, which also went out of business years ago. Truth is Forks struggles to keep any restaurant business alive for long. Long term local owners don't exist any more, and winter tourist/fishermen aren't enough to make it succeed. Forks will never be like it used to be.

#985862 - 02/21/18 12:48 PM Re: SFR. Forks Coffee Shop [Re: Jaydee]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

That's too bad. Nothing like eating a big hot breakfast there..then taking a big dump and fishing all day on the rivers. R.I.P.

- Albert Einstein.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |