Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98612 - 10/29/00 11:27 AM Kings in clear, warm conditions
Nowaccum Offline
Egg

Loc: petaluma, ca 94954
I fish a river that has low, clear water below a hatchery. Fish stack like cordwood for miles, but they are always difficult to fish. I regularly for kings, but I still consider myself a novice. I've tried several years for these fish and only had modest success at best, with the exception of great day. What are some tried and true methods for (legally) catching kings in these conditions? The fish are not dime bright, but they aren't rotting either. The holes are large runs up to 20 yards wide and 5' - 15' feet deep seperated by long slow flats with deep pockets in frog water. The numbers of fish aren't an issue...each hole is loaded in leapers and rollers, both dark and fresh. We're lucky if we hook 2 fish a day. What are some suggestions? We mostly use (good) roe and jet divers or bank fish with roe/corky combos.

#98613 - 10/29/00 09:03 PM Re: Kings in clear, warm conditions
Godlike Offline
Fry

Loc: Lacey
I have also been frustrated by this and may have come up with a solution. I start off by using #4 or #5 Red Vibrax spinners. I use a torch and melt pencil lead into the body of the spinner. This gives it more weight for fishing the deeper holes and thus eliminates the need for split shot or droppers. The reasoning follows...

I anchor within casting distance below and to the inside of the hole. Casting upstream, I let the spinner fall to the bottom. Start a very slow retreive just off the bottom. A weighted spinner means no additional weights coming downstream ahead of the spinner. I also tip the spinner with a dime sized piece of eggs.

This has been working well for us. We have a favorite hole that fills with milling fish with lockjaw. Over the last week we have taken kings four days in a row on the first couple of casts. Each day there have been other boats in the hole and had not seen a fish caught until our arrival.The biggest being just over #40.

NOTE* This is NOT, I repeat NOT snagging. Beause of the slow retreive we have not foul hooked a fish yet.These fish just hammer the spinner. The siwash hook is usually driven deep into the upper jaw.

#98614 - 10/29/00 09:41 PM Re: Kings in clear, warm conditions
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Nowaccum, where is this river?? I've got some great tactics and scents that will entice those chinook to bite. Email me at stlhdr1@hotmail.com

------------------

#98615 - 10/30/00 12:19 AM Re: Kings in clear, warm conditions
STEELYDAN Offline
Parr

Loc: Bonney Lake, Wa, USA
Oh come on "GodLike", you are doing nothing but "Lining" the fish.......

#98616 - 10/30/00 10:08 AM Re: Kings in clear, warm conditions
Godlike Offline
Fry

Loc: Lacey
I figured that I would get that response. Riddle me this... #4 vibrax...single siwash hook(no barb)...1st or 2nd cast only, then nothing, 4 days straight?..retreive slow enough only to get the blade to spin. After a fish has been taken out of this hole I have casted repeatedly with no takers. Every so often I feel line bumps and have felt the spinner bounce off a stubborn fish.

Could I have lined them....sure. Could I have snagged them...you bet. Did I...no. Will I...no. Call it luck if you will...I'll take it!

My theory is that there may be a dominant fish hold up in this particular area of the hole and if you can get close enough, it will strike out of irratation and/or anger.

I will try this tomarrow. Just for you Tseely I will modify a spinner with a 1/0 barbless Gamakatsu. Try to purposely foul hook a fish with that set up. I don't think so.... If I get a fish within the first five or six casts...leagally hooked, will you buy into this? Probably not. Trust me with contents of my follow up report? I doubt it.... Frankly Steely...I don't give a damn ......Tight lines......D

#98617 - 10/30/00 11:16 AM Re: Kings in clear, warm conditions
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA

#98618 - 10/30/00 08:26 PM Re: Kings in clear, warm conditions
STEELYDAN Offline
Parr

Loc: Bonney Lake, Wa, USA
I was wondering if you were going to respond Godlike. I was just testing to see what kind of response you would come back with. Are you fishing in the Olympia area? Sounds like you have found a great technique. It cracks me up how some people on this board, not you, talk about people lining fish with long leaders, etc. Frankly, we will never know when it comes to drift fishing where there is a high concentration of fish whether or not the fish picked it up or if it was lined. The only part I am concerned about is when people are catching steelhead when it comes to keeping Natives...Let them go.........Hopefully the state will make this a law.......RELEASE NATIVES.........Good luck with your new discovered technique.....it really does sound like a good one. Steelydan

#98619 - 11/02/00 03:12 PM Re: Kings in clear, warm conditions
NWest Offline
Egg

Loc: Portland, OR. USA
I've had succes casting and retrieving sardine wrapped k15 Kwikfish. I use 10-12lb line. Yes, light line does work. Fish hit with a thump-thump-thump. About the third thump I hammer 'em. It works. Try that sometime

#98620 - 11/02/00 09:26 PM Re: Kings in clear, warm conditions
TSG Offline
Alevin

Loc: Kennewick WA USA
This sounds very familiar. We had been nailing them on eggs for about two weeks. Now for no reason that we can tell, They just wont hit. Its not that there not here any more either. We can see them rolling the whole time were out there. Talk about frustrating! We are fishing the reach in fast current in any where from 8 to 34 feet of water depending on what mood the local dam personell are in. Any advice? Ive used about five different cures I found on here with the same results.
Todd

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |