THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#985938 - 02/23/18 10:51 AM WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of.
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
We think this topic is significant enough to have it's own post, so we can discuss how this is viewed, and perhaps send a message to the Department and Commission. Here is a link to the Kitsap Sun article:

State plans to reopen fishing on Skokomish River

On the face value, this looks like a good thing, however, there is a caveat that we cannot overlook: in the article it states:

" Ron Warren, head of the Department of Fish and Wildlife's fish program, said the state will bring forward a fishery package for the Skokomish River during this year's North of Falcon salmon season-setting process."

There are two issues here:
1. Ron Warren
2. This will be discussed in the, still closed to the public, North of Falcon.

From many conversions we've heard, Ron does not have the most trustworthy reputation, and since we will have no idea what is discussed, we have no idea what Ron will bargain away!

As long as our most important co-managemnt fishery agreements are made in secret, we cannot trust to be given a fair and equitable deal.

Maybe, just maybe this might be Ron's way of securing enough favor to have a legitimate shot at the open Director's position.

Here is an email that we sent to Ron Warren, Mike Grossmann and the Commission:

Ron, Mike, Commissioners
It was very welcome news that after three years, the department has decided to challenge the take over of the contested Skokomish river.

After hearing two years ago that a plan was in place to re-open the river to create a nexus for challenge, it seems it is at last being put from words to action.
As you might imagine, it is welcome news that the department and the AG's office are at last willing to make a stand on this issue and say enough is enough.

I would however like to draw your attention back to the greater issue of the lack of transparency in our fisheries management.
Since both the Department leadership and our Commissioners have publicly stated their support for open meetings, and there is an overwhelming number of constituents who have told the state they want transparency, it seems the time for action for this issue has also arrived.

You asked us in our meeting of Oct 26, "What do you want us to do to fix this?" It seems the simple answer is the same one that you plan to bring about on the River. Create a nexus. Simply, inform the NWIFC that the state plans on having a live video feed in the negotiations. It is the right thing to do, and as you said Mike, there is no legal reason for exclusion. The only obstacle to opening the meetings is the tribes objection.

The transparency issue is very similar to the Skokomish claiming the entire river and the state objecting. WDFW and the Commission have both stated publicly that "transparency in government is essential, good and necessary", the tribes see confidentiality paramount. It is time to put your words of support to action. Unless of course, they were just that, an attempt to patronize.

If it is a Nexus of some physical form you need, there are a lot of stakeholders that are more than willing to attend the negotiations, just say the word.

Again, good news on drawing a line in the sand on the Skokomish, now stand up for the greater issue facing our fisheries, ending SECRET MEETINGS!

Sincerely,
Washington Citizen Sportsmen

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#985950 - 02/23/18 11:50 AM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
I'd feel a lot better if it was a line drawn in concrete - sand being sand.....

So, will this become a deal breaker for NOF? If so, will WDFW have what it takes to just say they will take their (State's) share of the Skok bound fish?

I'd like to believe it. But I have my doubts.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#985971 - 02/23/18 03:52 PM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
Great Bender Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Hood Canal
If this effort finally comes off the column of the State AG's "TO DO" list, it will represent a most welcome and significant change in comparison to the Dep'ts past strategy and tactics re: good faith Tribal Relations, and the goal of fostering the proverbial "level playing field."

I can't heap enough praise on WDFW leadership for openly going public with their intentions to properly address this issue. Our stakeholders are optimistic...but must keep in mind that the enthusiasm needs to be tempered by all the factors that will play into the success or failure of this effort.

For years now, a sizable group residents along Hood Canal have voluntarily participated in a program to share their tidelands shellfish with the Skokomish Tribe. They are forward thinkers who have faith and trust in the principles set forth by the 1974 Boldt Decision.

Closing the Skokomish River to Rec Fishing two years back cast an ominous curtain over that working relationship. In short, how do you ethically justify coming on State and County taxpayer's property for 50% of your rightful shellfish, yet prohibit those same parties from coming to the banks of the river for their rightful 50% share of the salmon? The strides made forward then sadly gave way to back-peddling and negativity.

Commissioners, this is an opportunity to restore a working relationship that could serve as an example for generations to come. Use all possible legal resources available--public and private--and get it done.

Your Managers will soon be challenged to the very limit of their abilities and resourcefulness. This will be a fitting test as to whether they are the worthy individuals for some even greater complexities that loom ahead. And, above all else, strive now to bring about the genuine Transparency needed to garner the necessary positive public support for the good things that you do.

#985974 - 02/23/18 04:14 PM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I am really not sure how to feel about this. While I am glad the state is willing to go to court, it in contrast from what I was told last year about negotiations with the tribe. I talked to a staff member who was confident that the tribe was willing to work something out with the state, they just wanted changes to the current cesspool the fishery had become -- something the state wanted too. I was told it was just a process of coming up with the proper changes but he was sure it could be done. Well, from what we are hearing now either he or the tribe was lying, or Mr. Warren is up to something. The way this appears to have worked out is the tribe did not like the past fishery and eventually went through the process they did to get it closed. But, like anyone else with critical thinking, they knew their claim was very weak. It did, however, give both them and the state a chance to make changes to the fishery.

With the latest announcement, I think that several things may be happening. 1. A tentative agreement has been reached and with all the pressure and negativity that the State has been getting, they trying to look like they are the driving force behind the change.
or 2. Ron and the department know they can win this and are tossing out the negotiations and trying to look tough. In the end, they will win but we may end up with the same broken fishery we had before and more conflict with the tribe.

In the end I am sure we will end up fishing, the question is going to be at what cost? The state likely had a perfect chance to work with the tribe and get something done that would benefit both the tribe and the fishery. It could be true that the tribe is the problem, but given all we have been seeing, I feel it is just as likely it is the leadership at the department.

#985978 - 02/23/18 04:36 PM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
Great Bender Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Hood Canal
Damn sharp analysis that makes a great deal of sense. The little things once again become blown out of proportion. Let's wait and see what comes of it all...and if the Mgrs wear their big boy pants to the NOF sessions.

#985997 - 02/23/18 09:13 PM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Great news, as long as it doesn't cost us rec's something else in the NOF horse-trade-a-thon,

fb

#986005 - 02/24/18 08:05 AM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Great Bender]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Great Bender
If this effort finally comes off the column of the State AG's "TO DO" list, it will represent a most welcome and significant change in comparison to the Dep'ts past strategy and tactics re: good faith Tribal Relations, and the goal of fostering the proverbial "level playing field."

I can't heap enough praise on WDFW leadership for openly going public with their intentions to properly address this issue. Our stakeholders are optimistic...but must keep in mind that the enthusiasm needs to be tempered by all the factors that will play into the success or failure of this effort.

For years now, a sizable group residents along Hood Canal have voluntarily participated in a program to share their tidelands shellfish with the Skokomish Tribe. They are forward thinkers who have faith and trust in the principles set forth by the 1974 Boldt Decision.

Closing the Skokomish River to Rec Fishing two years back cast an ominous curtain over that working relationship. In short, how do you ethically justify coming on State and County taxpayer's property for 50% of your rightful shellfish, yet prohibit those same parties from coming to the banks of the river for their rightful 50% share of the salmon? The strides made forward then sadly gave way to back-peddling and negativity.

Commissioners, this is an opportunity to restore a working relationship that could serve as an example for generations to come. Use all possible legal resources available--public and private--and get it done.

Your Managers will soon be challenged to the very limit of their abilities and resourcefulness. This will be a fitting test as to whether they are the worthy individuals for some even greater complexities that loom ahead. And, above all else, strive now to bring about the genuine Transparency needed to garner the necessary positive public support for the good things that you do.

+1.

#986078 - 02/26/18 06:39 AM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

What would happen if the state opened a season and 100 people showed up and fished the normal spots. What would or could Tribal enforcement do?

#986080 - 02/26/18 06:49 AM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Since they claim that the river bed is on-reservation they could use their on-reservation enforcement powers (granted by the State and Feds). Not sure where a citation would be heard as I am not sure if Tribal Courts have jurisdiction. They would probably call in Enforcement. If WDFW wouldn't then they would probably hand it over to the Feds as a violation of the reservation. There is likely some sort of enforcement action they could take. Whether it would eventually hold up in Court is another question.

#986143 - 02/27/18 01:48 PM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

#986146 - 02/27/18 02:04 PM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Aren’t we giving them Sockeye eggs at the cost of the Baker lake fishery? Maybe they will let us have back our half of the river if we give them more eggs....ummmm. Just saying.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#986152 - 02/27/18 02:46 PM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

That, or else we completely defund the Adams hatchery if they don't let rec's fish there. . .see if they call the bluff, and if they do, then show it's not a bluff and shut it down.

Here you go. . .this sterile POS river-without-a-hatchery is all yours now!

fb

#986160 - 02/27/18 05:04 PM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Adams is at least partially funded by Tacoma for Cushman mitigation. Way before the recent Cushman agreement. Can't "defund" the mitigation side.

#986162 - 02/27/18 05:28 PM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
JustBecause Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Baker is a Puget Sound Energy-funded hatchery.

#986173 - 02/28/18 08:42 AM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Tacoma funds part of the George Adams hatchery operation as partial mitigation for the Cushman hydro project. WA has no obligation to operate GA however. So absent an agreement with the Skokomish Tribe, WDFW could shut down most or all of GA if a sufficient harvest does not accrue to the non-treaty fishery. It has been my contention since the 2016 announcement closing the Skokomish River to sport fishing that WDFW should close GA hatchery because funds should be spent on fish resources that benefit the primary constituency that provides the license fees and tax dollars to the WDFW budget.

Baker sockeye eggs are provided to the Cushman hatchery by the consent of WDFW and the Skagit tribes. The eggs must pass a disease protocol screening. The Baker facility is owned by PSE, but management decisions are made by the co-managers.

#986174 - 02/28/18 08:56 AM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Salmo g.]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Tacoma funds part of the George Adams hatchery operation as partial mitigation for the Cushman hydro project. WA has no obligation to operate GA however. So absent an agreement with the Skokomish Tribe, WDFW could shut down most or all of GA if a sufficient harvest does not accrue to the non-treaty fishery. It has been my contention since the 2016 announcement closing the Skokomish River to sport fishing that WDFW should close GA hatchery because funds should be spent on fish resources that benefit the primary constituency that provides the license fees and tax dollars to the WDFW budget.

Baker sockeye eggs are provided to the Cushman hatchery by the consent of WDFW and the Skagit tribes. The eggs must pass a disease protocol screening. The Baker facility is owned by PSE, but management decisions are made by the co-managers.

I wonder how the guys who enjoy the Baker Sockeye fishery feel about giving up more fish so the eggs can be given to the Skokomish to start up a fishery that recreational fishermen may not even be able to harvest?

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#986195 - 02/28/18 04:12 PM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: Bay wolf

I wonder how the guys who enjoy the Baker Sockeye fishery feel about giving up more fish so the eggs can be given to the Skokomish to start up a fishery that recreational fishermen may not even be able to harvest?

We don't like it.

#986202 - 02/28/18 06:39 PM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: _WW_]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: _WW_
Originally Posted By: Bay wolf

We don't like it.

Nor should you, especially in a basin like the Skagit, where those "excess" eggs could translate to nutrients the system needs to support other species of salmon and steelhead fry. The idea that we should share the wealth between systems is foolishness. Those who already destroyed their local fish runs should not benefit from more responsible management elsewhere.

#986205 - 02/28/18 06:57 PM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

My point being...

Why are we cordially supporting the Skokomish in their efforts to establish a sockeye run at a time when they have aggressively and overtly shut out recreational fishermen from harvest of hatchery fish and have given no indication that IF the sockeye fishery is established that they intend to "allow" anyone to harvest these fish other then them!

Now , lets look at this another way: The WDFW is engaged in negotiations with a party that declared a piece of real estate as belonging to them, without a complete legal basis. Prevented tax paying citizens from access to this piece of real estate effectively prohibiting shore based fishermen from access to public property and hatchery fish. In these negotiations, the Skokomish are demanding an increase in the number of eyed eggs (double) for access to the river.

This sounds like extortion to me...

Now, where are those eggs coming from? Perhaps fish that are supposed to be put into Baker lake?

Why hasn't this "negotiation" been put out in the public? Maybe because the Skagit/Baker fishermen wouldn't roll over??

Somebody needs to start asking questions....

Edited by Bay wolf (02/28/18 07:18 PM)

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#986206 - 02/28/18 06:58 PM Re: WDFW plans to Open the Skokomish, well, sort of. [Re: Salmo g.]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

Thank you, I agree with you, and I'm a little surprised this hasn't been used as leverage up to this point, at least as it pertains to the Skok,

fb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |