Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#987959 - 04/13/18 06:32 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: LocalTalent]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: LocalTalent
12 days.

Not what it should have been, but 12 days more than you've had in several years. This is a rare win for sport fishers, and as such, we should celebrate it.

The old adage, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth" comes to mind....

#987961 - 04/13/18 08:20 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
GoldDigger Offline
Returning Adult

Hope it all doesn't turn the river into a complete circus. Handling a sled with a pair of oars is not a simple task, especially when someone's hooked-up with a toad of a steelhead.

#987965 - 04/13/18 09:21 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

If it's a circus, it will be our circus. I may drive my boat around all day tomorrow looking for a rock to stand on and make a cast if some of the predictions about crowding come true. But I'd rather do that than stay home.

#987970 - 04/13/18 11:10 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: FleaFlickr02]
LocalTalent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Originally Posted By: LocalTalent
12 days.

Not what it should have been, but 12 days more than you've had in several years. This is a rare win for sport fishers, and as such, we should celebrate it.

The old adage, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth" comes to mind....

Personally, it is the same number I've had the last several years. With the short notice and my schedule I won't be fishing it.
Still, I know that the occupy Skagit folks have nearly performed a miracle getting it to this point.

#987976 - 04/13/18 01:23 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
I can't miss this party

#988019 - 04/15/18 07:29 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Sauk.....I'm sure it blew out yesterday. Anybody try it anyway?

Edited by RUNnGUN (04/15/18 07:30 AM)

#988029 - 04/15/18 01:15 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Salmo and I did some "ceremonial" fishing at the mouth on Saturday. She was pretty dirty.

#988057 - 04/16/18 09:15 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Sauk was not fishable, upper Skagit was, and was also kind enough to lend us several steelhead for a short time before sending them back to do their thing.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#988059 - 04/16/18 09:34 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I didn't catch any steelhead this weekend, but I have never felt so good to fish the Skagit. Mother Nature severely limited the overall opportunity by punching the Sauk River, making the entire Sauk and the Skagit reach from the Sauk downstream to Concrete pretty much unfishable. This created the opportunity for everyone who showed up to prove just how sociable we are by cramming ourselves into the 10-mile stretch from Marblemount to Rockport. A good time was had, until that Saturday afternoon squall hit. Rain never hurt so much as driving my boat through that.

It was all bull trout for me, but my fishing partner captured a nice chrome bright hen on Sunday morning.

I'll be back later this week, but first I need to get new boat trailer lights. I accidentally backed my trailer into a ditch Saturday and smashed the right side taillight. I might as well replace them both and buy a set of LED trailer lights.

#988063 - 04/16/18 10:22 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
SalmoG- We tried to find you at rockport in the afternoon but just missed ya. Sorry you got stuck in that squall. I was driving back down to the take out when in hit and thought to myself, Im' glad Im not still on the water!

Nick, Todd, and I went 4-4 Saturday. All Dime bright really healthy Skagit Wild Steelhead. Nick caught his best ever Steelhead after it kicked his ass all over the river...around a 14 lb hen...Todd caught one on his first or second cast, above the cascade and below the put in, that went 11-12 lbs..beautiful buck.... & I didnt catch a fish, but it didnt matter...it was so nice just to be back fishing on the river again.

#988068 - 04/16/18 12:49 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Sky Guy,

I saw Luis at Rockport after I took out. He had already pulled his boat out, and he said you and Todd were around somewhere. I heard of a fair number of fish caught Saturday and not so many on Sunday, but I didn't see or talk with many fishermen on Sunday. It will be nice when all the open area is fishable, but all in all, not a bad opener after eight years with no March or April fishing.

Sg

#988073 - 04/16/18 02:04 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Nice to hear it fished and kicked out some fish. Cool.

#988085 - 04/16/18 06:09 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Team Bed Shitters here did good hooking them but not so much landing them. We got spooled by a nice fish on a plug rod missing half its line and I heard from across the river “You fawkin bed shitters!” and Im still chuckling about that.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#988086 - 04/16/18 07:00 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Jason Beezuz]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Jason Beezuz
Team Bed Shitters here did good hooking them but not so much landing them. We got spooled by a nice fish on a plug rod missing half its line and I heard from across the river “You fawkin bed shitters!” and Im still chuckling about that.

That IS funny. Sounds like everyone's genuinely glad just to be back out there. Pretty cool.

#988090 - 04/16/18 09:14 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Jason Beezuz]
mitch184 Offline
Returning Adult

Are you going to tell the 2nd half of that story.......

#988091 - 04/17/18 05:41 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: mitch184]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: mitch184

Are you going to tell the 2nd half of that story.......

Lol, I figured people would just think I was telling an Evo type story and that I was full of [Bleeeeep!].

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#988094 - 04/17/18 08:13 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: ]
Steeldrifter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Pierce county
Originally Posted By: stam
This sound like a fun time, glad you guys got to go and do what you do, now if we can get a rally going to get my ass back on the Green... I miss that canyon.

AMEN..........And if we are going to dream, let's dream big. Love to be able to fish the Puyallup and Carbon through the month of March once again! So much lost opportunity.

#988095 - 04/17/18 08:25 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I heard about a fish being hooked on a plug on the upper river. Never heard about a "the rest of the story."

#988096 - 04/17/18 08:27 AM Re: Skagit rally [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: stam
This sound like a fun time, glad you guys got to go and do what you do, now if we can get a rally going to get my ass back on the Green... I miss that canyon.

Occupy Green?

#988104 - 04/17/18 12:21 PM Re: Skagit rally [Re: Salmo g.]
mitch184 Offline
Returning Adult

"The rest of the story"...

we were below them side drifting and saw the commotion. I yelled my opinion of their actions after I saw and heard a loud pop. Then a couple minutes later, we saw a nice steelhead jump next to us with something pink in its mouth.

We continue side drifting down and this crazed steelhead continues following us down the river cartwheeling.

We get about a mile, maybe more, down stream and BigO snags something. Starts reeling in and when his okie lifts out of the air 5', we realize the braid he hooked has a very tired steelhead on the end of it.

I grab the braid and proceed to hand line in 100 yards of braid. Not without a couple good runs by the fish. Dicey situation with braid in your hands. We get the 12ish lb buck next to the boat and pop the hook.

Later we returned the braid and plug to it's rightful owner.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |