THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#986997 - 03/21/18 09:21 AM What artifacts have you found?
RICH G
Unregistered

Evo's post got me interested. I am always on the lookout but unfortunately have no eye for it so I never find chit.

So what have you found while out fishing/hunting.

I have never found any ancient artifacts, I did find a cool fossil above 112 on the Lyre river in 1996 fishing for summer runs. a piece of basalt with a set of "housecat" sized vertebra going through it.

#987000 - 03/21/18 09:37 AM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Close family friend and teaching partner of my Dad’s is a well known anthropologist in the PNW. He was a large part of the Ozette dig, responsible for the Hoko dig and ran the dig at Ralph Monroe’s property in Olympia to name a few. I’ve been fortunate enough to be around for several excavations of ancient basketry and cedar fishing nets at Mr. Monroe’s and at Hoko. One time at Hoko I was walking the bank fishing for cutts, we found a Makah basket sticking out of a clay bank. He removed it and preserved it. One of many many artifacts he’s pulled from old Native American settlements around the PNW.

My dad has developed quite the collection of PNW Native American baskets and other artifacts. He owns some property very near Ralph Monroe’s place and has found some very cool stuff including well worn stone tools similar to mortar and pestle as well as stone cutting tools.

I’ve toured the storage facility for the Makah tribal museum in Neah Bay several times. There is a lot of totally cool stuff in there that never gets displayed!

#987003 - 03/21/18 09:54 AM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Lots of palm leaves and other plants along Chuckanut Drive. Back in the day when I drove heavy machinery building homes we would dig up seashell fossils all over the place, they are surprisingly ubiquitous if you get down more than a few feet into some clay.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#987005 - 03/21/18 10:10 AM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

I’m curious to hear what kind of artifacts you can find while fishing the Puyallup River at the trailer park access point.

#987011 - 03/21/18 12:02 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Where's Vhawk when you need him?

He used to find the coolest "artifacts" every time he was out on the river!

#987012 - 03/21/18 12:03 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Found some fossil leaves along various roadcuts near Leavenworth, some fossil branchiopods on the Grays River (my favorite find), and a few arrowhead chips in the Sierras. Also found the remains of an Indian fish trap near where a new concrete trap was being built.

#987013 - 03/21/18 12:59 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
Not a true artifact in comparison to the above, but back in the '80's on a hike way up Lake Chelan I came across part of the old CCC trail built during the depression. On it I found an old metal coffee cup that probably fell off a worker's backpack. The cup was there for 50+ years. Pretty cool to think about how those guys made that trail so long ago.

#987014 - 03/21/18 01:50 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I found an artifact in Woodinville a couple years back. He was sitting in a chair speaking voice commands to his cell phone.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#987016 - 03/21/18 02:32 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: Dan S.]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Dan S.
I found an artifact in Woodinville a couple years back. He was sitting in a chair speaking voice commands to his cell phone.

LOL rofl

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#987019 - 03/21/18 04:13 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
RogueFanatic Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap Co.
If you walk around The Reach above the Vernita Bridge you can find rocks that were used for net weights. Hot afternoons when they have the turbines humming and the river gets low is best.

#987020 - 03/21/18 04:25 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

Originally Posted By: ReefSkunk
I’m curious to hear what kind of artifacts you can find while fishing the Puyallup River at the trailer park access point.

when im fishing, im fishing, im not looking around for things... i focus on the task at hand...

my grandfather used to be into that stuff alot, at the cabin we had several extremely old arrow heads in very good condition... we also had another one that was a metal traingular blade, that was attached to some sort of bone, that had a hole in it to attach to a spear or something... and some very nice fossils of invertebrates, and other shelled creatures from a very long time ago....

my buddy Jim, (you know Jake, that 6'12 behemoth you were trying to make fun of on Facebook?) has a bow, quiver, and arrows from a few hundred years ago... not sure what tribe they are from, but its one of the coolest things you will ever see... i tried to buy it from him, but no dice....

if i end up with old stuff, i usually bought it... trade sometimes.. found an old indian head carved piece of wood on the beach at the cabin one day when i was really young, looked like it may have been a pipe at one point, or part of one... not sure what happened to that...

i have a page from the Koran from the 1400s, but i bought it, didnt find it on the Puyallup...

#987021 - 03/21/18 04:35 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: 5 * General Evo]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Anonymous

when im fishing, im fishing, im not looking around for things... i focus on the task at hand...

Not sure who said this but what a waste of a day on the river. Sounds like somebody that doesn’t actually spend much time fishing.

#987027 - 03/21/18 05:21 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

Stop being an idiot Jake...

Anyways I'm there to fish, if I want to go hunt for things, I go do that...

I'm there to fish....

#987029 - 03/21/18 06:06 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Isn't 6'12 more commonly known as 7 feet?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#987030 - 03/21/18 06:23 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: Dan S.]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Isn't 6'12 more commonly known as 7 feet?

Those in the 98th percentile just see things differently.

#987031 - 03/21/18 06:46 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

He's 6' 10"... But I guess people not in the 98th percentile can't figure out when someone is telling a joke or not...

#987032 - 03/21/18 07:09 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

The most fun about river fishing is exploring and trying to find some cool stuff. Catching fish is a bonus, I guess that's why I despise lake fishing in a boat. I have a lot of family that own ranches in kittitas county about 20 miles east of Ellensburg. My Parents grew up there and would go out and look for Ellensburg blue agates. That is the only place on earth where they exist. They are a Robbins eggs blue in color. My Folks found some nice size ones that are gem quality. They had two of the bigger ones that they had cut into heart shapes.

The best time to find them is in the early morning after a little bit of rain, once the sun comes up you look for little sparkles in the distance and there's a chance of finding some. I spent most summers bucking bales and help irrigating the crops. They had two nice ponds that were stuffed with trout....good old days.

- Albert Einstein.

#987035 - 03/21/18 08:07 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
paguy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Fossil hole on the bogachiel, You could fill a river boat with fossils of old sea life.

#987036 - 03/21/18 08:44 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Back in the early 80's I found a 10 dollar bill in the Toutle River. Haven't seen one since.

fp

#987038 - 03/21/18 09:50 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
My brother recently found dinosaur bones on land I have in Wyoming my Grandpa homesteaded. Up high on a butte in the red-rock cliffs. Took them to a natural museum to have them verified - they wanted to come and do a dig - no dice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |