#987039 - 03/21/18 10:32 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: OceanSun]
vapidangler
Unregistered

I found some beach glass

#987041 - 03/22/18 12:27 AM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: fp]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: fp
Back in the early 80's I found a 10 dollar bill in the Toutle River. Haven't seen one since.

fp

D.B Cooper ? :>)

- Albert Einstein.

#987042 - 03/22/18 07:03 AM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Nah, DB had 20s. Friend of mine who SCUBA's describes himself as "A little old lady diver". Stop and look at everything. Same with me with hunting or fishing. Gotta look, watch, see.

My favorite fishing is, I guess, fishing for feeding fish so it is often walk and wade or cast around cover. Always looking for clues. Since I worked at fish research, a lot of time was spent watching them (spawn, feed, swim upstream, whatever). So, it's the detail. Which is why searching the ground for agates, arrowheads, fossils is just part of it.

When I look, I find stuff and some of it is "neat". Heck, there are old Indian villages along some of our streams that you can find if you know what to look for.

I'm with the folks who doing more than "just fishing".

#987044 - 03/22/18 07:39 AM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
There are tons roadside rock & fossil shops all over CO, NE, WY, UT etc and growing up I used to hunt & collect for both a fair amount (also collected seashells). I had probably 5 or 6 large boxes full of stuff and I can't remember what happened to it all...

Some of things I've personally found over the years...
An Arapaho or Cheyenne arrowhead at pretty high elevation; a couple of ancient campfire sites; a shard of pottery; a ton of various plant fossils; a really large clam fossil that I left in place; a late 1800's Laudanum bottle in trolling Shilshole.

I also found a great piece of Obsidian buried deep during some excavation work in my current yard. It's all mixed glacial till where I'm at, so either a glacier brought it here, an ancient native dropped it here or it blew outta the top of a distant volcano. All I know is it shouldn't be found here.

#987045 - 03/22/18 07:50 AM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

This thread reminds me that my grandfather was a geologist for the state of Washington in the 80’s. In fact he was working when the mountain blew it’s top and he got to go up on the mountain almost immediately. I inherited several boxes of fossils, mostly plant and shell fossils, petrified wood, a large collection of rock and mineral samples and rock core samples from around the state. I might have to find those boxes and take a look. I used them for a school project about 15 years ago and haven’t seen them since.

#987055 - 03/22/18 11:39 AM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

my grandfather was investigated by the FBI in the 70s because they thought he was DB Cooper....

#987057 - 03/22/18 12:15 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: Evo
my grandfather was investigated by the FBI in the 70s because they thought he was DB Cooper....

JTFC

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#987058 - 03/22/18 12:29 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Once long ago I saw something most here will never see.

A WDFW employee out of his truck.

#987059 - 03/22/18 12:54 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
A few arrowheads from northern Cal and some indian hieroglyphics in a river canyon is it for me.

Found some more modern stuff like old whiskey bottles that washed out of the old landfill in Tokeland.
Some Japanese glass balls covered in growth that looked like they'd been in the ocean for years.
Metal detecting, found some old war metals, silver watches and coins and a number of older gold rings.
This was all back in the 60's and early 70's. Fun to find but not artifacts worthy....
SF

#987062 - 03/22/18 02:13 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: stonefish]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

My Father is a retired H.S Earth science Teacher. He always had his rock hammer under his car seat. I remember a spot near Lake Fenwick where he see's some sand stone along the road. We started cracking this sand stone apart which were garnets the size of small marbles, most were the size of pea's. They looked like they were already cut and polished.

I wish I remembered what happened to them.

- Albert Einstein.

#987064 - 03/22/18 02:19 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
LocalTalent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I found a bunch of Oly stubby bottles and an issue of Hustler from 1986.

#987068 - 03/22/18 02:55 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
vapidangler
Unregistered

I do a fair amount of rock hounding where I live. Last year I hauled a 150 pound boulder of jasper out of a creeped. Big time score. Other rocks I've scored are jade,cinnabar,agate and quartz

#987071 - 03/22/18 03:28 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

looks like a super old Peavey, SS.....

#987072 - 03/22/18 03:38 PM Re: What artifacts have you found? [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

That is a 17th century abortion tool. help

- Albert Einstein.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 910 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645370 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |