Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#986632 - 03/12/18 06:09 PM Shakers...
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8675%281993%29013%3C0524%3AMOCACS%3E2.3.CO%3B2?journalCode=ujfm20

Mortality of Chinook and Coho Salmon in Their First Year of Ocean Life following Catch and Release by Anglers

Abstract

The mortality of chinook salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha and coho salmon O. kisutch in their first year of ocean life following catch and release by anglers was examined. Five factors were recorded for each landed fish: species, hook type, barb type, injury location, and mortality. For the first time, a recursive causal model was used to analyze hooking mortality data. The data suggest that hooking mortality is better described by a two-stage process than by traditional logistic models. Injury location is affected by hook type and barb type in the first stage, and mortality is affected by injury location and species in the second stage.

Overall estimated mortality following release from sportfishing gear was approximately 30% for chinook salmon and 14% for coho salmon.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#986638 - 03/13/18 07:54 AM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Interesting (and timely with all the sorting in the BM fishery). I was talking to a friend yesterday about this topic, and we both thought the juvenile hooking mortality would seem to be even higher than either number in a troll fishery, where the fish often get dragged around unknowingly for awhile. Just a hypothesis, might be lots of killing going on right now.

fb

#986647 - 03/13/18 11:04 AM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
That is a much lower post release mortality % for Coho than what is currently being used. I believe CK is already at 1/3. Comparatively high rates for coho are the reason mark-selective coho fisheries have been a no-go in Puget Sound despite an ample hatchery surplus for harvest.
I want to be a fisherman.

#986670 - 03/13/18 02:15 PM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The lower coho number reflects the faster growth rate of coho compared to kings during that first year at sea.

A one salt coho is basically an adult fish.

A one salt king is still basically a jack.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#986673 - 03/13/18 03:38 PM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
This is a narrow study. They must have looked at C&R of post-smolts and looked at survival for the next year. This is good as we have to look at long-term survival and not just did it swim away.

The Chinook will be fished on for 2,3,4 years and will likely have different mortality rates based on the number of times released, age, etc. As Doc said, the coho jump from this studied year to adulthood which will reflect different stresses as they now mature.

Good start.

#986713 - 03/14/18 11:27 AM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach

Is this an encounter and the survival rate number is lower due to pinnipeds in the marine area studied?

Hook location is still the key for me. I try to catch fish in the jaw area by keeping the bait moving or trolling artificials.

Barbless to minimize handling.

Release in the water along the boat.

#986716 - 03/14/18 11:54 AM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
RogueFanatic Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap Co.
I had to quit using a siwash on a barrel swivel behind a coho killer. Always seems to pith shakers right between the eyes.

#986720 - 03/14/18 12:21 PM Re: Shakers... [Re: RogueFanatic]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
There are times I choose to go to a larger 3.5 lite. I'm color vision challanged since a mishap in the service years.

80796 is described as glow, chartreuse, splatter back.

You might not get as much action. But you will encounter most are keeper size. 2cents

#987052 - 03/22/18 11:05 AM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
DBL Offline
Egg

What with all the hand-wringing about depleted runs et al, seems like even a "low" mortality rate of 30% is unacceptable.
Not sure what the answer is overall, but for BM, perhaps several years of even shorter seasons or gear restrictions along the lines of mandatory use of larger spoons or plugs.
Perhaps it's time to really "bite the bullet" temporarily in hopes of a shot at a brighter future.
I know these thoughts are nothing new, but wanted to express them regardless.
Thanks for the opportunity.

#987053 - 03/22/18 11:18 AM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Back in November their was a swarm of small shakers all over the common fishing grounds for BM - couldn't go 30 seconds without hooking one if using spoons. Switching up to plugs helped quite a bit and put keepers in the box. Since the reopening, shakers haven't been a problem allowing us to fish with spoons again. I liked the example of real-time management based on on-the-water conditions. Not fishing for hatchery BM created specifically for fishing opportunity is a loosing proposition in my mind. It's not like it will put more wild fish on the gravel (with dubious results per other threads).

#987060 - 03/22/18 01:10 PM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Given the adult equivalent quota we can burn through in a winter/spring BM fishery, I'd much prefer limiting that fishery, and passing that impact to summer fisheries (if that's possible); fish are bigger, are more fun to pursue up in the column, easier to get at for more people, nicer weather, more people can do it and importantly much much better table fare with lower toxin content. I'm equipped to fish either way, I'd just rather do it in August. I know some BM fans disagree but that's what I think anyways.

fb

#987086 - 03/22/18 11:01 PM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

In concept that is fine.... but by this point we all know that if winter fisheries are “limited” to support “more” summer encounters our summer fisheries will still close by Aug. 1.

At this point in the fight to fish I’m not willing to give up even 1 small opportunity as it’s clear once they’re taken they’re never given back.

#987087 - 03/22/18 11:32 PM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Wouldn't impacts on wild fish be much lower once those runs have out-migrated?

#987088 - 03/23/18 06:30 AM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
River Nutrients

I doubt that the fisheries are on actual outmigrants. They would be smaller. The black mouth are on resident fish that stay in the Sound for the majority of their saltwater life.

It is a behavior that does occur in wild fish but is primarily supported by delayed-release hatchery fish.

Also, staying in-Sound allows them to accumulate more toxins (or did in the recent past) than migrating to the open ocean.

#987094 - 03/23/18 09:23 AM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
GodLovesUgly-

Just for the heck of it from WDFW's marked selective fishing reports I compared the winter info (2013/204) and summer info (2014). The were 4 MAs where there were comparable winter and summer info; areas 6,9,10,11.

In the winter for that year and those areas were there 4,721 Chinook harvested, an additional 8,484 fish released (wild and sub-legal) for a total of 13,205 encounters. In the process of catching those fish a total of 19,913 angler trips were made. Or to put it another way the impacts associated with those 13,205 Chinook encounters produced a harvest of 4,721 (0.35 fish harvested per encounter) and 19,913 trips (1.5 trips per encounter).

In the summer there were 12,870 Chinook harvested, an additional 13,856 fish released; a total of 26,726 encounters. During that fishery an estimated 116,010 angler trips were generated. During that summer fishery 0.48 Chinook harvested/encountered and 4.3 angler trips/encounter.

In addition the fish harvested during the summer were approximately 3 inches larger than during the winter.

While I realize all the above is just one year of "data" and as we both know the stock composition can vary with potential different limiting stocks the differences between the summer and winter season in the numbers of fish produced or angler trips taken are enough that the issue warrants more consideration (and analysis) if the goal is to maximize recreational benefits of those limiting impacts.

Curt

#987097 - 03/23/18 01:00 PM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Carcassman - "I doubt that the fisheries are on actual outmigrants. They would be smaller. The black mouth are on resident fish that stay in the Sound for the majority of their saltwater life. It is a behavior that does occur in wild fish but is primarily supported by delayed-release hatchery fish."

That was my point. The winter blackmouth fishery is primarily a hatchery fishery without a lot of wild fish present. At least that was my assumption. If that's the case why are "impacts" a significant consideration for the fishery? Am I misunderstanding? Are there significant wild impacts in that fishery? And, if not, why do we care about impacts on hatchery fish? Overfishing hatchery fish seems a somewhat oxymoronic concept.

At the same time killing a numerical ton of shakers doesn't make a lot of sense - wild or hatchery - which is why I agreed with the shutdown of the fishery in November when there were swarms of them on the grounds.

#987100 - 03/23/18 02:23 PM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
River Nutrients

Wild fish, at least some stocks, are also resident. At one time, the Elwha Chinook were often caught in the winter fishery. The cwt data Smalma referred to would show who was there.

As to overfishing hatchery fish, each one of the dead fish (retained or released) is part of the 50:50 sharing. Because of adult equivalency, it is not 1:1 but killing fish in the winter can reduce the summer catch so as to balance allocations.

#987110 - 03/23/18 03:06 PM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
OceanSun -

The mark selective reports I referred in my earlier post also includes information about the numbers of unmarked (wild?) Chinook encountered during those mark selective fisheries.

For that 2013/14 winter season of those 13,205 Chinook encounters 2,665 were unmarked fish. That means about 20% of the encounters were "wild".

In the 2014 summer season of the 26,726 encounters 4,490 were unmarked. That is a about a 17% of the encounters being "wild".

Bottom line those winter fisheries are not as "clean" as many anglers would hope. In addition often the wild stocks encountered in the winter period can be those key spring/summer stocks.

Curt

#987127 - 03/23/18 06:21 PM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

I would be interested to see WHEN (temporally) the bulk of the encounters have been occurring. As we well know many of those encounters come in the form of "shakers" released... We have seen good results in delaying the winter season, as it seems a good number of those small fish are moving on after November. I am all for shifting the season, if the number of allowable impacts remains the same, but I am not highly in favor of shaving winter encounters and adding them to summer quota. The reasoning behind that is not that I am not in favor of a longer summer season, rather, I don't believe we will get a fair shake at the bargaining table with the co-managers when the time comes to "extend" the summer fishery. My best guess is that we would shave our winter impacts, and receive the same "agreed to" share (what we are allowed to harvest, because lets face it we are at the mercy of the co-managers) that we currently have. Thus, our winter season would shrink, and our summer season would stay the same. Not based on science, but based on "negotiations" at the NOF table.

#987135 - 03/23/18 11:43 PM Re: Shakers... [Re: eyeFISH]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thanks for the analysis Smalma. Given the level of angler effort in the winter (trips in your analysis), I agree it's reasonable to be concerned that if the winter season length were reduced, it wouldn't add much time to many of our already-meager summer seasons. Granted sometimes a week either way on the summer grounds can make the season if you're lucky enough to land on a pile of chinook for a week the way they move through in pulses that time of year.

fb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |