Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#988150 - 04/18/18 01:13 PM GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Humptulips...2018, as of April 17, 2018

Humptulips regulation as written:

From mouth(Jessie Slough) including all channels, sloughs, and interconnected waterways to confluences of East and West forks.

Sept. 1 -Sept. 30 Min. size 12" Daily limit 6. Up to 2 adults may be retained of which only 1 may be a wild CHINOOK. Release wild Coho.

Oct. 1 - Nov 30 ... Release Wild CHINOOK and wild COHO

Chehalis......2018, as of April 17, 2018

Chehalis River

from mouth (Hwy 101 Bridge in Aberdeen to Hwy 107 Bridge including all channels, sloughs and interconnected waterways.

May 1 - June 30....Daily limit 1 Adult
Aug 1 - Sept. 15---Min size 12" Daily limit 6, release ALL adults
Oct 1 - Nov 30-----Min size 12" Daily limit 6, only 1 Adult may be retained. Release adult CHINOOK.

from Hwy 107 Bridge to South Elma Bridge(Wakefield Road.)

Aug 1 - Sept. 15---Min size 12" Daily limit 6, release ALL adults
Oct 1 - Nov 30-----Min size 12" Daily limit 6, only 2 Adult may be retained. Release adult CHINOOK and WILD ADULT COHO.

South Elma Bridge(Wakefield Road) to Hwy 6 Bridge near town of Adna

Oct 1 - Nov 30-----Min size 12" Daily limit 6, only 2 Adult may be retained. Release adult CHINOOK and WILD ADULT COHO.

Hwy 6 Bridge near town of Ana to high bridge on Weyerhaeuser 1000 apporx, 400 yards downstream of Roger Creek (South of Pe Ell

ALL THE OTHER RIVERS IN Grays Harbor

Oct 1 - Nov 30-----Min size 12" Daily limit 6, You'll have to wait for pamphlet for "how many of what".

Quinault has something different, wait for pamphlet

Marine Area 2-2, wait for pamphlet

Westport and Ocean Shores Boat Basins, wait for pamphlet

Got tired of typing.....but you have a working knowledge of the salmon season....everyone gave up something, tribal, NT, and sports.

Edited by DrifterWA (04/18/18 08:21 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#988152 - 04/18/18 03:14 PM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: DrifterWA]
satsop_connoisseur Offline
Alevin

Loc: Satsop River, WA
I'm peeved there's no adult retention between Sept. 15th and Oct. 1 on the Chehalis. Why not extend the jack only fishery to Oct 1st? Only 1 hatchery coho- doesn't seem worth it. Are they trying to protect hatchery adult salmon for which taxpayers provided funding?

Edited by satsop_connoisseur (04/18/18 03:33 PM)

#988158 - 04/18/18 05:30 PM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: satsop_connoisseur]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: satsop_connoisseur
I'm peeved there's no adult retention between Sept. 15th and Oct. 1 on the Chehalis. Why not extend the jack only fishery to Oct 1st? Only 1 hatchery coho- doesn't seem worth it. Are they trying to protect hatchery adult salmon for which taxpayers provided funding?

I believe DW posted in error about Chehalis River and tribs above South Monte (Hwy 107).

It's currently proposed as a TWO ADULT bag... release chinook and WILD coho. Upto 2 hatch coho, or two chum, or one of each.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#988159 - 04/18/18 05:40 PM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: DrifterWA]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Wow. Least (planned) opportunity I've ever seen for these basins. Well, better safe than sorry, I guess. A one hatchery coho limit should keep the crowds down upriver....

Anyone know if the rivers will be open for gamefish from Sep. 16-30?

#988161 - 04/18/18 09:52 PM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: FleaFlickr02]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
A one hatchery coho limit should keep the crowds down upriver....

This a modeling exercise staff intends to pursue at the request of the guide community who turned out for last night's meeting.

If sufficient savings can be achieved going from TWO hatch coho to ONE hatch coho, staff would consider extending the season into December.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#988162 - 04/18/18 11:04 PM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: DrifterWA]
thepull Offline
Fry

Honestly the September Hump chinook fishery is one of the more disgusting things I have seen. But I guess opportunity for snaggers and guides.

#988184 - 04/19/18 09:35 AM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: thepull]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Quote:

It is a zero sum game. It is not the jacks or hatchery limiting only NOR ( wild ) returns. Take one additional fish up here or release with mortality you have to cut .... someplace. Yes staff has yet to respond on the diffence of the boat limit vs fresh water below South Monte. It is a issue as appling the bay mortality is on average appropriate to the reach below South Monte but the boat limit needs to come with it.

It was the 20% impact Coho limiter implemented by the Feds that nailed us. In fact BC had to swallow us exceeding our share to get what we have. So everyone has a opinion but if you did not stick with the process you will be left wondering but that was one's own personal choice.

Edited by Rivrguy (04/20/18 05:33 AM)

#988478 - 04/27/18 01:11 PM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Cliff Notes version:

Guide community requested modeling what a one-fish bag does for saving wild coho to hopefully extend the Chehalis basin coho season thru December. Region 6 did the mathematical gymnastics over the past 10 days and came up with a large reduction in the harvest of hatchery coho with a savings of only 30 wild coho.

They also received comments from other stakeholders that a 2 fish bag during the money months of Oct and Nov was more important than a longer season into December.

Season stands as presented at the April 17 meeting.

Full explanation from the lead bio below...

"Another suggestion provided at the April 17 meeting was reduce the bag limit during freshwater salmon season from a two fish adult bag limit to a one fish adult bag limit in order to extend freshwater recreational salmon opportunity into the month of December. Similar to the open-dates change, our analysis of the reduction in bag limit would reduce the total harvest of hatchery Coho and would further reduce total impact to wild Coho by approximately 30 fish.

Catch Record Card (CRC) data indicates that 78% of the total Coho harvest occurs within the October to November period (Figure 1). Conversely, only 6% of the total Coho harvest takes place during the first two weeks of December.

It is also worth noting that regional WDFW staff have received comments during and after the April 7th advisory meeting from recreational fishers that they would not be in support of reducing the bag limit in order to extend salmon fishing opportunity within the Grays Harbor Basin. After careful consideration of the input received, Commission policy on salmon management in the Grays Harbor Basin, conservation objectives, and the additional analysis summarized above, the WDFW intends complete the rule-making process to implement the season described during the April 17 meeting; see season detail below.

MARINE AREA 2.2
Humptulips North Bay Fishery: August 1 – September 15, daily limit 2 (combined), Release wild Coho
East Grays Harbor Fishery: October 1 – November 30, daily limit 1, release Chinook

FRESHWATER
Lower Chehalis River (mouth to Hwy 107 Bridge): October 1 – November 30, daily limit 6 only 1 adult may be retained, release adult Chinook

Chehalis River and Tributaries: October 1 – November 30, daily limit 6 only 2 adults may be retained, release adult Chinook and adult wild Coho

Humptulips River: September 1 – September 30, daily limit 6 up to 2 adults may be retained of which only 1 may be a wild Chinook, release wild Coho

Humptulips River: October 1 – November 30, daily limit 6 only 1 adult may be retained, release wild adult Chinook and wild Coho

SPRING CHINOOK
Chehalis River (to Hwy 6 Bridge near the town of Adna): May 1 – June 30, daily limit 1 adult

JACK FISHERY
Chehalis River (to South Elma Bridge): August 1 – September 15, daily limit 6, release adults

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#988493 - 04/28/18 01:51 PM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: DrifterWA]
ronnie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lacey
So I hope that the netting of the largest coho of the season in December won’t happen under the guise of their “steelhead” season. It would be interesting to know the coho to steelhead ratio. But wait. I heard that coho in December do not have to reported. Is that correct?

#988497 - 04/28/18 04:10 PM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Late (December) coho taken in the Chehalis are part of the aggregate wild GH coho pool subject to the PST 20% exploitation cap.

And yes, while there will undoubtedly be netting directed at these fish (historically 4-5 days a week beginning Thanksgiving week), they are counted against that 20%.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#988500 - 04/29/18 08:23 AM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Ronnie and any others that question late November, December and whenever the QIN end their netting schedule in Areas 2A and 2D.

There is a posting on QIN catch of Steelhead and Coho but that ends about December 1, 2017.....BUT THERE IS NO DECEMBER, 2017 or 2018 posting of any Steelhead or Coho...

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/tribal/landings.html

There really needs to be better and faster "catch totals" shared between QIN and WDFW, so those "numbers" could be posted in the WDFW commercial numbers.

Its also time for WDFW to get a commitment on netting totals from the Chehalis Tribe, so they could be posted.

Edited by DrifterWA (04/29/18 08:35 AM)

#988501 - 04/29/18 08:37 AM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
To beat a very dead horse, back in the 80s all net catch by everybody was accessible on a computer and was something like 95% complete 3 days after the fishery. Now, it is sometimes (in my experience) months. This is not how good management should be done.

#988512 - 04/29/18 02:21 PM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: Carcassman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
To beat a very dead horse, back in the 80s all net catch by everybody was accessible on a computer and was something like 95% complete 3 days after the fishery. Now, it is sometimes (in my experience) months. This is not how good management should be done.

Those were the "Good old days" !!!!!!

Should be even easier today.....smart phones, lap top computers, a internet that is super fast, fax machines, scanners........What I see as a problem, is that WDFW Olympia office does the "updating", no reason that a Region 6 can't get the information from NT and QIN, input into the web site, should take more than 10 minutes, send a copy to Olympia.....got to be a better way than what is currently done.

#988516 - 04/29/18 04:18 PM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Back then, the State was responsible for catch reporting for all commercial sales. To be a licensed dealer, you had to have a state license and allow state samplers to see all Fish Tickets. I think, now, that a dealer can by only Indian fish and then only needs a license from the Tribe. Plus, the Tribes now, through NWIFC, report there first.

I agree with you, Drifter, that the technology of today should allow us to do so much more and so much faster than was done in the 80s. Silly me.

#988556 - 05/01/18 10:50 AM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: DrifterWA]
ronnie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lacey
With different bag limits below and above the Monte bridge;

1. Will there be two separate river codes?

2. What is legal and not legal when fishing both areas?

For example, if a fish is retained below the bridge, are you done for the day?

If a hatchery fish is retained and taken out of the field above the bridge, can you go below the bridge and catch one more?

#988558 - 05/01/18 11:02 AM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: ronnie]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
With different bag limits below and above the Monte bridge;

1. Will there be two separate river codes?

2. What is legal and not legal when fishing both areas?

For example, if a fish is retained below the bridge, are you done for the day?

If a hatchery fish is retained and taken out of the field above the bridge, can you go below the bridge and catch one more?

1 / no idea.
2. If you retain a fish the rules for that area apply and if you move to say tidal to above the 107 and have a wild your ticket. Will be a bit wierd but moving around is OK but catch is another.
3. Yes your done if wild
4 nope

#988559 - 05/01/18 11:08 AM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The only thing you have to remember when moving across the boundary is what's in the box before you deploy gear.

If that fish is NOT legal to retain where you intend to fish.... you are in violation the moment your gear is deployed.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#988560 - 05/01/18 11:14 AM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: DrifterWA]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Good questions, ronnie. My guess is that you just don't want to get checked anywhere below Monte or returning to the Monte ramp from downstream with 2 dead fish.

Silly rule, in my opinion (many will simply choose to focus their effort upstream of Monte to take advantage of the limits they probably won't catch anyway), but as I understand it, this year's rules are mostly an attempt to keep as much water open as long as possible, which I think is the right idea. I catch one keeper a lot more often than I catch a limit of 2 or more, so I'm good with lowering bag limits to justify longer seasons (even if I question the effectiveness of so doing). The hell of it is that the season still ended up shorter than normal....

#988583 - 05/02/18 08:32 AM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

The only way to keep the traditional full weeks of the season would be to restrict harvest in October. The graph that staff sent out shows % of harvest by weeks and with limited impacts it is simple. To have impacts at the front and end of the season you have to restrict the heavy impact weeks in October by time or harvest restrictions. Think of it like the marine fisheries. They do four, five days to extend the season for a longer period. If they went all out at peak run timing they would be off the water much much sooner.

The season was pretty much set outside the local NOF by Olympia due to the fact that the Feds put a 20% Coho limiter. GH ended at 20.7% and the Canadians did not accept but did not object either so whatever was in the mix at that time was pretty much set in concrete.

Now one gentleman I know called BS for the simple fact that it is marine harvest that caused us to reach 20.7 which is true but remember Phil Anderson is in the PFMC mix which means marine will always take priority over terminal. It is what it is.

#988604 - 05/02/18 04:51 PM Re: GH Chehalis and Humptulpis Salmon season 2018 [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

And yes, there was that song and dance about the "relative value" of various fisheries to coastal communities... that those fisheries bringing the highest value would be given preferential priority, thus securing greater overall value to the state as a whole. Translation? Tough $h!t for the the guys standing on the bank further upriver.

Scarcity brings out the worst fish fights.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |