Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#989005 - 05/11/18 11:27 AM Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Quote:
"We are still working on setting crab seasons but wanted to give people early notice about these closures, which is a change from previous years," said Bob Sizemore, Puget Sound shellfish manager for WDFW. Sizemore said the department will continue working to structure fisheries in each Puget Sound region, but he does not anticipate closures similar to those in marine areas 11 and 13.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/may1018a/

Wow, why did I buy the PS crab endorsement last March?

#989013 - 05/11/18 01:18 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: ]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
And no commercial harvest, tribal or non, right...

The only commercial crab harvesting in those areas has been tribal and according to information provided at the most recent meeting of the P.S. Recreational Crab and Shrimp Advisory Committee the tribes are on board with this very belated action. The serious underlying concern is the lack of recruitment particularly in MA 13 and the need to protect the remaining reproductive aged crab in MA 11 with the goal being to ensure spawn (larvae) is available to flush through the Narrows.

Note that the News Release started out by announcing no crabbing in MA 11 and MA 13 yet the body of the release was limited to Dungeness crab. That could be confusing to some. At the Committee meeting the group leaned toward a complete crabbing closure to include red rock crab. I believe that is what has occurred; a complete crabbing closure in those two MAs. It would be nice if they would confirm a complete (Dungeness and red rock) closure.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#989014 - 05/11/18 01:20 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: slabhunter]
Salmon Leader Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Des Moines, Wa
It has been very poor crabbing in these areas the past two years. Makes the decision for me so I don't have to feel obligated to crab over the usual 4th of July opener only to get nothing to speak of. Salmon fishing Baby!

Steve

#989019 - 05/11/18 02:28 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: Larry B]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

Larry:

Is there any chance that WDFW may later modify the rule change to allow harvest of red rock crabs in MA 13? It would be nice to be able to harvest them — had some really good days last summer for the red rocks.

#989020 - 05/11/18 02:36 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: slabhunter]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

I’ve been harvesting red rocks, in the same place, since I was a child. I have never encountered a Dungeness while crabbing there. This is a serious bummer, hanging on the dock while soaking pots with friends and family has always been a big part of summer.

#989021 - 05/11/18 02:37 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: slabhunter]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
They should close the southern end of the canal as well.
I haven’t seen a legal Dungeness crab in the eel grass flats for a number of years now.
SF

#989022 - 05/11/18 02:59 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: stonefish]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Originally Posted By: stonefish
They should close the southern end of the canal as well.
I haven’t seen a legal Dungeness crab in the eel grass flats for a number of years now.
SF

I agree. I moved my effort when MA 12 was going downhill. Dead crab dumped at the bottom of the Skokomish ramp @ the Coleman Powerhouse. Before it was even open for sport fishers?

#989023 - 05/11/18 03:55 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: cheapskate]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: cheapskate
Larry:

Is there any chance that WDFW may later modify the rule change to allow harvest of red rock crabs in MA 13? It would be nice to be able to harvest them — had some really good days last summer for the red rocks.

Keep in mind that I was an observer so had no official status. The discussion pertaining to red rock acknowledged that it is a legitimate activity but there was serious concern about being able to ensure that only red rock would be targeted. There was no concern about the actual health of the red rock population and, in fact, there was conjecture as to whether an increasing red rock population could constrain Dungeness recovery.

I will offer that I am fairly sure that there is limited data available on the actual number of recreational crabbers targeting red rock. You might want to express your thoughts to Mr. Sizemore or the Commission.

#989032 - 05/11/18 06:16 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: slabhunter]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
These fuktards took my license money again, this time without any hesitation for crab I wont be able to fish for. Now I can’t crab in the primary marine areas I bought the license for. And red rocks are apparently swept up in this as a nusiance issue. WTF? Can I get my money back? Not. Probably get fuked for not returning a catch record card I couldn’t even use. Last time I buy any license without intent to fish at the time of purchase. Dick knobs.

Edited by milt roe (05/11/18 06:18 PM)

#989035 - 05/11/18 07:35 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: Larry B]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Originally Posted By: Larry B
And no commercial harvest, tribal or non, right...

The only commercial crab harvesting in those areas has been tribal and according to information provided at the most recent meeting of the P.S. Recreational Crab and Shrimp Advisory Committee the tribes are on board with this very belated action. The serious underlying concern is the lack of recruitment particularly in MA 13 and the need to protect the remaining reproductive aged crab in MA 11 with the goal being to ensure spawn (larvae) is available to flush through the Narrows.

Be interesting to see if they push the issue to be designated a disaster, and quickly apply for federal disaster relief money for losing income...

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#989048 - 05/12/18 08:50 AM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: slabhunter]
Take-Down Offline
Juvenile at Sea

The tribes that crab in MA 11 and 13 (believe there are 3, but Larry may correct me) should be recognized for doing the right thing in this case. I believe they both worked cooperatively with WDFW in analyzing test fisheries, and agreed to a solution that makes sense to get populations back on track in those marine areas. I don't personally care whether they apply for federal compensation--not sure there's much of a loss to show when stocks are low.

Acknowledging when tribes act responsibly is important so that we can address tribal activity (salmon/steelhead) on the coast that is highly irresponsible, and potentially criminal. Need a governor, or US Attorney, with the guts to call b.s. on inappropriate/illegal tribal overfishing and waste in and around Forks. It's not agreed or settled that tribes can violate the ESA or similar federal laws.

#989055 - 05/12/18 12:25 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: Take-Down]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

There are at least three tribes involved with U&A rights in those areas. And while it is always a good thing to recognize appropriate conservation actions it is unfortunate that co-managers didn't agree to this several years ago when the trend line was apparent particularly in MA 13.

#989057 - 05/12/18 01:36 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: Larry B]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
This closure sure ruins some of my family summer recreation. I'm really saddened that the crab are so depleted that the season had to be closed entirely. WDFW should have seen this coming two years ago, but, of course, didn't act. I wonder what the catch division between the sports and the tribes was the last two years? Where would I find that data?

#989060 - 05/12/18 03:02 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: slabhunter]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
It was my understanding that there were not agreements with all the Tribes fishing in 11/13 in recent years.

#989061 - 05/12/18 06:24 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: Tug 3]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Tug 3
This closure sure ruins some of my family summer recreation. I'm really saddened that the crab are so depleted that the season had to be closed entirely. WDFW should have seen this coming two years ago, but, of course, didn't act. I wonder what the catch division between the sports and the tribes was the last two years? Where would I find that data?

Tug, this steep downward trend has been on WDFW's radar for quite awhile and apparently WDFW shellfish folks have been trying for three or four years to get the tribes to agree to a cessation to no avail until now.

Here is a link to the most recent annual crab report to the Commission which includes some new slides showing recruitment data:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/2018/04/apr_1218_25_presentation.pdf.

Note that in Region 7 they don't even show any recreational harvest on the bar graph and last year's report had a barely visible harvest. (https://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/2017/08/aug0417_18_presentation.pdf)

As a concerned crabber I sent in a number of recommendations early this year to include one that was specific to your question. I suggested that there needs to be a slide for each management area over time showing the agreed to harvest numbers and resulting respective harvest numbers for State and Tribes. Why?

First, it is important for us to have visibility of any disparity in the 50/50 split. Secondly, if one looks at the aggregate harvest numbers over time one would think all is well with this resource. But we all know better. I will add that there is something inherently wrong when the data used to negotiate a particular areas total harvestable poundage is provided by the group which fishes first.

The rapid demise of the resource in South Sound is hidden by the positive numbers from 2E, 2W and particularly Area 1 (San Juans) where there were at least two increases in harvest negotiated with the tribes in 2017 due to abundance.

We will see if Mr. Sizemore is willing to incorporate that particular recommendation for his report after the 2018 season.

Edited by Larry B (05/12/18 06:36 PM)

#989062 - 05/12/18 06:40 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
It was my understanding that there were not agreements with all the Tribes fishing in 11/13 in recent years.

True at least for MA 13 (AKA crab area 7). Apparently for two years the Nisqually tribe grossly exceeded its share (3x and then 2x) and then apparently decided it was easier to just not agree to a number at all.

#989067 - 05/13/18 07:55 AM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: slabhunter]
Silver1 Offline
Fry

Another habitat issue for sure. The habitat from MA13 to PNP has had pots every 50' for years' during the tribal season, whenever that is. Another stellar example of co-management at it's finest.

#989079 - 05/13/18 02:10 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: slabhunter]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
You can guarantee come June MA 9, 10, 8-1 and 8-2 will get carpet bombed with pots.
2016 was the last year I saw many crabs hooked up mating.
So far this spring I’ve, I’ve only seen three sets so far.
I’d expect crabbing similar to last year results, which in my case was horrible.
SF

#989082 - 05/13/18 03:29 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: ]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Habitat, pollution, and now possibly the tidal wave of commercial pots have nearly done ‘em in eh ?

Not sure which one could take the numbers down in as little as 24-36 months like they seem to have fallen........

If you have an onset of conditions adverse to successful spawns (meaning fewer or no recruitment) and continue to harvest the existing legal (spawning size) crab ultimately you have insufficient males. Couple that with females aging out of the reproductive group and ultimately you see a fast drop off in population.

In short, the 3-S management strategy (size, sex and season) has its limitations and that assumes that everyone is playing by the rules.

#989084 - 05/13/18 04:43 PM Re: Marine areas 11 and 13 will not open for crabbing [Re: slabhunter]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The history of natural resource mis-management is full of stories where things looked great one year and then fell flat. The last Pyramid Lake Cutthroat run was made up of spawners over 10 pounds. Real nice fish. Next year nothing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |