fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
we'll see, thank god it wasn't RW.

#990398 - 06/17/18 08:51 AM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Does anyone know who the other 7 candidates were, that got cut down to the final 3…….and who were the other two???? Guess I'd like to know how many WDFW people were in the running????? Were there any women in the 7 candidates?????

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#990399 - 06/17/18 09:50 AM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: DrifterWA]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
Does anyone know who the other 7 candidates were, that got cut down to the final 3…….and who were the other two???? Guess I'd like to know how many WDFW people were in the running????? Were there any women in the 7 candidates?????

Yeah, once again they continue with their "covert" operational model. I guess it really only matters what the new guy is all about. Anybody know him?

#990400 - 06/17/18 11:20 AM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: DrifterWA]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim

Joe Stohr, Heather Bartlett, Ron Warren, Jim Davis, Jennifer Quan, Kelly Susewind, and Marc Miller (ex-Illinois Director and currently working for Michigan DNR).

#990401 - 06/17/18 01:30 PM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: DrifterWA]
Jigornot Offline
Egg

Loc: Olympia, WA
Worked with Kelly Susewind for years. He is a smart and reasonable guy. An engineer. Don't know if he has any fish science background. He grew up in Grays Harbor County, and is politically moderate. I think it would be good if one of us had a talk with him about hatcheries, nets, and open process while he's still fresh.

#990403 - 06/17/18 01:46 PM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: DrifterWA]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
I heard the final three were Susewind, Stohr and Quan.
I think it’s interesting they called the decision “unanimous”. Was it really unanimous or did they pick someone then have everyone agree that it was unanimous.

#990409 - 06/17/18 04:33 PM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Bushbear and Jigornot, thanks for your input.

There are many sportspeople that are happy that the Commission went the way it did...Kelly will have to get "up to speed" on the WDFW bear problem, the wolf problem, commercial vs. sports problem, and the every 2 year budget......culvert and the McCleary case will "burn up" lots of State dollars, and at this time the out go on funds exceeds the ability to collect enough monies to keep everyone happy.....person changes but the problems go on....

Edited by DrifterWA (06/18/18 04:46 AM)

#990410 - 06/17/18 05:54 PM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: Jigornot]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Jigornot
He is a smart and reasonable guy. An engineer. Don't know if he has any fish science background. He grew up in Grays Harbor County, and is politically moderate. I think it would be good if one of us had a talk with him about hatcheries, nets, and open process while he's still fresh.

This description of Mr. Susewind sounds like he is well grounded. What would you suggest as a means to engage him? E-mail, phone, face-to-face, fishing trip?

Edited by large edward (06/17/18 05:56 PM)

#990411 - 06/18/18 07:49 AM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: Jake Dogfish]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Jake Dogfish
I heard the final three were Susewind, Stohr and Quan.
I think it’s interesting they called the decision “unanimous”. Was it really unanimous or did they pick someone then have everyone agree that it was unanimous.

On important matters it is not at all uncommon for boards to vote, and then once they have a decision, to re-vote and make it unanimous.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#990413 - 06/18/18 08:52 AM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: DrifterWA]
satsop_connoisseur Offline
Alevin

Loc: Satsop River, WA
Kelly is a genuinely good person and is pragmatic in his approach to all issues. He has a scientific background but I believe his background in fisheries science is moderate at best. I expect good things but often it's the team around the director that is most important given that they are the ones providing advice.

#990415 - 06/18/18 10:09 AM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: large edward]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Large Edward

He doesn't start until August 1. He'll be transitioning out of his current job at Ecology. I would suggest folks be cautious in over-loading him with contacts.

His learning curve will be steep. Upper and mid-level managers will be driving his decision making. He'll be as good as the information he gets. As Director, he has both the need to know and the right to know what has happening in the past and what is projected to happen in the future. I hope he will be asking tough questions and deserves full answers.

#990416 - 06/18/18 10:37 AM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: DrifterWA]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Bushbear, your comments make complete sense to me. I'd be happy to take him on a trip to summer run fish on the Cowlitz. He could see for himself what this once great fishery has become.

#990417 - 06/18/18 11:39 AM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
If Kelly never fished the Cowlitz "in the day" then a trip now where he gets a fish or two, strike or two might be a good day. I fished the Colwitz some in the 70s, always from the bank. A zoo. Caught a few rather small trout. Were I to go today and get an adult salmon or steelhead then it would be better to me.

#990420 - 06/18/18 02:09 PM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
If Kelly never fished the Cowlitz "in the day" then a trip now where he gets a fish or two, strike or two might be a good day. I fished the Colwitz some in the 70s, always from the bank. A zoo. Caught a few rather small trout. Were I to go today and get an adult salmon or steelhead then it would be better to me.

True, in that scenario he would have no prior personal experience (the good old days) upon which to assess today's experience. Too bad.

And while the Cowlitz was somewhat of a zoo in the early 70s one could still run a drift boat and compete with the 16 foot sleds and even I could catch a fish or two.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#990422 - 06/18/18 03:28 PM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Where does that leave me, who couldn't catch any?? Must add that I have done a couple charters out of Westport in the mid 70s and returned with nothing. So, a trip today would probably be "better".

#990426 - 06/18/18 07:10 PM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Thought on the new Director. In my experience working with Ecology, one thing that they were was process oriented. When they proposed a rule there hearings on top of hearings, stakeholder meetings. There was no excuse outside of pure laziness for somebody who had an interest not to know what was going on and why. Many of these processes included the tribes.

It will be interesting to see how Kelly deals with not only the Tribes but his "own" staff telling him how the process "works".

#990427 - 06/18/18 07:27 PM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: Carcassman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Where does that leave me, who couldn't catch any?? Must add that I have done a couple charters out of Westport in the mid 70s and returned with nothing. So, a trip today would probably be "better".

Wow, you must have been "snake bit" in the mid 70's....THOSE WERE THE DAYS OF BIG CHARTER FLEETS, 275 boats, some days some of the charter boats did a "double run". Westport was so packed with cars, people....that it was almost impossible to move. Derbies were common place, lots of big chinook and thousands of coho/silvers.

Grays Harbor had lots of large employment companies, running 24/7, fun times, many businesses...…….NOW not so much!!!!!

#990428 - 06/18/18 07:35 PM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I know all that. Everybody else caught fish.

One of my jobs was developing in-season updates for salmon runs in Puget Sound. One of my bosses was an avid but unlucky angler. He went up to Neah Bay once and shut down the whole area for 3 days. While he was there nobody caught anything. Anyway, we finally figured out that each coho he caught represented 250,000 fish in the run size. Caught 2 at Buoy Zooey once; half a million returned.. I was just worse than that.

#990429 - 06/18/18 10:01 PM Re: WDFW has a new director [Re: Carcassman]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Thought on the new Director. In my experience working with Ecology, one thing that they were was process oriented. When they proposed a rule there hearings on top of hearings, stakeholder meetings. There was no excuse outside of pure laziness for somebody who had an interest not to know what was going on and why. Many of these processes included the tribes.

It will be interesting to see how Kelly deals with not only the Tribes but his "own" staff telling him how the process "works".

I would love to be a fly on the wall when Ron Warren and Mike Grossman let him know that for all practical purposes, any decisions he might be thinking about making will have to be run past the NWIFC for approval, and that he actually works for the Tribes, not the stakeholders who purchase the licenses. Different Director, same cronies running the show.

Edited by Bay wolf (06/18/18 10:06 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1067 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645293 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |