LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#990435 - 06/19/18 11:01 AM New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report?
MaxMad Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: "the middle kingdom" aka Cheha...
A little creek by my house that my granddaughter & I have seen coho fry in is getting destroyed (cutting trees back hoe etc) : who & how do I report that? The creek dumps into the north fork of the Chehalis River & I know the salmon are struggling there.

#990437 - 06/19/18 11:22 AM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: MaxMad]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Contact WDFW at the Region 6 Office. They can contact both Habitat (who would have had to issue permits) and Enforcement.

#990441 - 06/19/18 12:21 PM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: MaxMad]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Take pictures. Date/time stamp them if you can. If you can't, then have someone hold up today's newspaper (front page). Continue to document the activity until WDFW et al can get respond.

If you have any pictures of the creek area before the construction started, that would/should be useful to WDFW.

#990443 - 06/19/18 12:54 PM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: MaxMad]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
MaxMad:

Do it before they do the 3 R's......raid, rape, and run......would be nice for WDFW LE to catch them doing "what they are doing"..

Good that you are willing to do something.....to many people would tend to "look the other way"

Edited by DrifterWA (06/19/18 12:56 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#990444 - 06/19/18 12:58 PM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: MaxMad]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Pictures of the equipment, license plate numbers, people operating the equipment, will all be helpful

#990445 - 06/19/18 01:08 PM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: bushbear]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Call County/City Planning Dept and see if they have a permit for clearing in a Critical Area buffer.

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#990447 - 06/19/18 01:48 PM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: MaxMad]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

J...
F...
C...

GDITMMM!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#990450 - 06/19/18 03:21 PM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: MaxMad]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
A co-worker of mine who lives up around Edmonds saw this in a small creek in her backyard.

She said the creek went white one day. She asked her neighbors what was going on and a few of them went for a walk around the neighborhood and tracked it down to new townhouse construction going on up the road. They were apparently dumping paint into the creek.

She said she called the police about it but I never followed up to see what ever came out of it.

Gotta love those real estate developers!

#990453 - 06/19/18 04:07 PM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: MaxMad]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Paint in the creek would a "spill" and one should call Ecology's spill response line.

#990454 - 06/19/18 04:10 PM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: MaxMad]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

One thing that might help in situations like this would be in WDFW would have, near the front page, in every reg pamphlet, a list of phon numbers to call for violations.

Poaching call here, a spill call there (and define what a spill is), construction in or too close to a waterbody call here, and so on. Should be easy to set up a page that would cover most environmental incidents.

#990456 - 06/19/18 05:10 PM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: TanTastic84]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: TanTastic84
A co-worker of mine who lives up around Edmonds saw this in a small creek in her backyard.

She said the creek went white one day. She asked her neighbors what was going on and a few of them went for a walk around the neighborhood and tracked it down to new townhouse construction going on up the road. They were apparently dumping paint into the creek.

She said she called the police about it but I never followed up to see what ever came out of it.

Maybe you should have "followed up" on it to find out, better would have been to make some calls yourself. Counting on others to go the extra yard is just lazy behavior. People not holding polluters accountable is a big part of the problem. When they get away with this stuff they are more then willing to continue it. Bob R

#990458 - 06/19/18 06:39 PM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: MaxMad]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Get ahold of the tribes that have fishing rights in that basin. They may be more inclined than WDFW to stop the mayhem. Worth a call.

#990459 - 06/19/18 06:50 PM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: MaxMad]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Unfortunately, the Tribes would have no legal authority off Rez. They could try to pressure the State but it would be a two-way street with the State pressuring them for enforcement in their bailiwick.

#990467 - 06/20/18 11:14 AM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: bob r]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
Bob.

I completely agree. If I had seen it or knew enough about the story to investigate, I would have. But my account of it was through the account of another person. So, I don't have enough history or details to call any organization to inquire about a story I don't know much about. And the only people I would in essence call would be the police which I don't think would be a useful.

I completely understand your frustration with my thinking. I've got to get better at speaking up / following up about things.

#990490 - 06/21/18 02:40 AM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: MaxMad]
LocalTalent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I had a construction project near my house trashing a creek several years ago. I think it was my county's surface water management office that I emailed pics to. They had someone on site within a day or two and they were appreciative of the heads up.

#990500 - 06/21/18 08:22 AM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: TanTastic84]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound

It is not helpful to paint all real estate developers with that broad brush. It is a false narrative and you alienate those that can help.

Edited by TedR (06/21/18 08:29 AM)

#990501 - 06/21/18 08:28 AM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: Carcassman]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
One thing that might help in situations like this would be in WDFW would have, near the front page, in every reg pamphlet, a list of phon numbers to call for violations.

Poaching call here, a spill call there (and define what a spill is), construction in or too close to a waterbody call here, and so on. Should be easy to set up a page that would cover most environmental incidents.

So, I know you mean well but did you even look?

From page 2 of the fishing regulations it says, "To report fish kills, oil or hazardous material spills, contact Department of Emergency Management: (800) 258-5990"

and also says, "For non-emergency violations/poaching: Call WDFW toll-free 1-877-933-9847 (1-877-WDFW-TIP). See page 5 for more details"

It's in a highlighted box.

#990518 - 06/21/18 10:19 AM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: TedR]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Originally Posted By: TedR

It is not helpful to paint all real estate developers with that broad brush. It is a false narrative and you alienate those that can help.

Yup.
Fake news.

#990537 - 06/21/18 12:42 PM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: TedR]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: TedR

When it comes to " doing things in a responsible manner concerning fish and stream conservation" or making a buttload of money most developers go for the latter. I think a broad brush is just what is called for. If developers want a better image maybe they should police each other to get out the bad players. (yeah, like that's going to happen ) Bob R

#990572 - 06/21/18 05:21 PM Re: New cnstrtn destroying salmon creek, how report? [Re: MaxMad]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Developers know the game and always play it because they are in the business of being in business. Usually they ask to pave it all but will settle for exactly what they actually wanted to begin with. Ask for the cow when all you want is a glass of milk.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 821 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |