LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#991060 - 07/11/18 07:27 AM No CA Coast Hot for Salmon?
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Heard the CA coast has been really good for Salmon so far this year. Did some report searches and found this. How can this be with all the doom and gloom predictions?
http://www.norcalfishreports.com/fis...-again.....php

#991061 - 07/11/18 07:48 AM Re: No CA Coast Hot for Salmon? [Re: RUNnGUN]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Yeah you might not want to look at their reports! Fished down there a lot while working construction in Nor Cal years ago before home basing it up here! WFO does not even come close at the moment... Friend who runs a boat out of Sausalito leaving the dock at 6 most days and doesn't matter where he runs North or South out of the GG he's homeward bound no late than 8:30 or 9 most days recently with full limits! Dire prediction held their season off till early June this year too instead of the normal April opening... 2 a day down there marked or unmarked too and the big fish normally start trickling in from the outside about now too!

#991074 - 07/11/18 10:18 AM Re: No CA Coast Hot for Salmon? [Re: ]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
The No. California salmon don't use the same migration patterns as our Puget Sound and Columbia River stocks. Plus, they believe in hatchery supplementation! To generalize, their salmon sort of out-migrate and hang around in their offshore waters rather than heading to Canada and BC. Their ocean conditions vary from our coast, usually, so that's why we sometimes have good years and they don't and vice versa. I've never fished there, but Brookings, Oregon has a beautiful harbor. I wonder if Brookings is experiencing the same good fishing? Also wonder if this is due to a good year for Sacramento salmon, and Klamath, or one or the other. Lucky California. They have better weather, too.

#991076 - 07/11/18 11:25 AM Re: No CA Coast Hot for Salmon? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
south migrating fish.
its amazing what will return if you aren't constantly catching, killing, and netting them.

#991077 - 07/11/18 11:41 AM Re: No CA Coast Hot for Salmon? [Re: RUNnGUN]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
A dire forecast, delay the opener then fabulous fishing.
Sounds similar to WDFW’s 2016 Puget Sound coho salmon folly.
SF

#991093 - 07/11/18 03:19 PM Re: No CA Coast Hot for Salmon? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The CA fish don't go as far north as WA. Like others have pointed out, they avoid BC and AK (and all the PP folks who go there). Somewhat different ocean conditions down there, too. May have different ocean sources of food, they don't compete with chum and pink (known to depress Chinook and coho in the north) and they don't have a whole lot of coho.

The real cynical could say they don't have our folks managing their fish, either.

#991104 - 07/11/18 06:04 PM Re: No CA Coast Hot for Salmon? [Re: RUNnGUN]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Good - I'm happy for our southern brothers & sisters. But if I have to move to Cali to fish for salmon, then I will just quit fishing for salmon and I LOVE fishing for salmon.

#991105 - 07/11/18 07:56 PM Re: No CA Coast Hot for Salmon? [Re: RUNnGUN]
River Nutrients

Might want to rethink CA salmon fishing. It's mostly Chinook and they tend to be pretty good size. As in 30-50 and up, especially in freshwater.

#991107 - 07/11/18 09:45 PM Re: No CA Coast Hot for Salmon? [Re: Carcassman]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Might want to rethink CA salmon fishing. It's mostly Chinook and they tend to be pretty good size. As in 30-50 and up, especially in freshwater.

Thanks Carcassman for your insight tonight! After fishing down there for 30+ years there are a few BIG fish around. Enjoying all the comments on this thread too. Never fished on the Sacramento in the Fall as I never had to as fishing off Muir or Duxbury especially this time of year was always getting good as in really good! Washington is nice but the 4+ hour trek to Westport for me these days for real ocean fishing is a bit much not like that 40 minute commute to Sausalito at 4:30 AM. California has seen it's ups and downs in the early 80's and was closed for 3 years I believe recently to let the fishery recover could you believe the outcry up here if that ever happened? GGSA has been trucking fish to be released at Ft Baker in the last few weeks (1.5 MILLION so far) to give them a head start to avoid the Delta pumps which is a great idea IMHO. Great conditions the past few years have helped immensely too! No knock on the brothers and sisters down there tonight as their vision seems to be paying off big time this year! BTW Carcassman a story: Trolling down from Duxbury Buoy in early Oct past Nudie Beach and took a hard turn to the West off Slide Ranch and I looked back at that pinned rod in the holder and a Penn 4/0 on clicker that was SCREAMING! End result a 48#-9oz Fall Chinook that was my best California fish! Fun stuff!

#991108 - 07/11/18 10:13 PM Re: No CA Coast Hot for Salmon? [Re: RUNnGUN]
River Nutrients

What amazes me is that CA, at least until really recently, still had some real toads. While in college, we visited a Chinook spawning channel up near Red Bluff, I think. They were collecting data from the spawn-outs and I asked what the biggest was. They had handled a 70+ pound male. Dead and spawned out. Had to be over 80 when it hit the Golden Gate. A few years ago a huge (dead spawn-out) was found in a stream. Huge as in the 80 or so range.

For some reason, the Sacramento stock, at least, goes somewhere in the ocean that trollers and sporties don't.

Having fished a lot in both states I think that a case can be made for either. If you love boat-based fishing, WA offers, I believe, a lot of quality opportunity. The non-boat-based angler will probably find more in CA. Not too familiar with CA fishing politics but doubt that they approach WA.

#991167 - 07/12/18 09:09 PM Re: No CA Coast Hot for Salmon? [Re: RUNnGUN]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Yup - check out the Sacramento king listed on this page located here. Huge fish.

#991172 - 07/12/18 09:59 PM Re: No CA Coast Hot for Salmon? [Re: RUNnGUN]
RogueFanatic Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap Co.
Brookings? Yup, there are fish there too...

Edited by RogueFanatic (07/12/18 09:59 PM)

#991256 - 07/16/18 02:35 PM Re: No CA Coast Hot for Salmon? [Re: RUNnGUN]
jjb Offline
Eyed Egg

A lot of very small fish. Half moon bay dumps 700000smolts . delta pumps kill 95 percent sac fish. We are probably killing klamath, sac, amd hmb fish which can not spawn so they may not have restricted it enough. The survival rate for pen raised salmon is around 80percent and you can't count them because they can't spawn. Get your facts straight. Our winter run is almost extinct.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |