LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#991216 - 07/14/18 12:33 PM Boating accident yesterday, Cowlitz, please help!
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
There was a boating accident on the Cowlitz yesterday above Blue creek by Brim bar. A very experienced boater had an accident and his boat overturned. The operator made it out physically unharmed. His friend was recovered. But did not make it. We were able to recover his boat. But his dog is missing so if any of you are on the Cowlitz or even Spencer, Brim rd area would you please keep an eye out for an older chocolate lab. She goes by the name Shilo. The operator and others are actively looking right now. Would love to see the 2 reunited. If found you can call my cell 36o-431-4918.

The Cowlitz is running at 2300 cfs and may drop to 2000 cfs. It can be really treacherous so please be careful.

Would also like to thank the guides and boaters that assisted yesterday!
Thanks
HntnFsh

Edited by HntnFsh (07/14/18 01:05 PM)

#991217 - 07/14/18 05:02 PM Re: Boating accident yesterday, Cowlitz, please help! [Re: HntnFsh]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
Wow! I'm really sorry to hear that. I have a home across from Ethel Bar but I was not around yesterday. Has the dog been found? Any more details on what happened?

#991223 - 07/15/18 10:25 AM Re: Boating accident yesterday, Cowlitz, please help! [Re: HntnFsh]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
Just talked to my neighbor about this accident. He spoke to an eye witness yesterday, and apparently the 2 older gentlemen in the sled were not paying attention as they drifted about in a back eddy, and were pulled out into the main current and then into a sweeper while unable to get a motor started. Boat flipped, the guys went in the river, and the 72 year old passenger was unresponsive before the skipper could get him to shore on Ethel Bar. Multiple EMT folks arrived at the scene but they were unable to revive the man. Neither guy was wearing a PFD. Apparently, no one has seen the dog. Very sad, and seemingly preventable.

#991227 - 07/15/18 05:34 PM Re: Boating accident yesterday, Cowlitz, please help! [Re: HntnFsh]
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

I didn't want to ask the guy but from what Ive pieced together hearing him talk and other witnesses this is fairly accurate. I did hear him say that he ran to the top end of the drift. Shut down his big motor and went to start his kicker. He didn't realize that the eddy pushed his nose out. He said he thought he ran up on a log.

Remember the Cowlitz is glacier fed and I don't think it ever gets out of the high 50 degrees. Its dang cold. Its also really low running at 2370cfs or so. There are more hazards and lots of really skinny water so be careful out there!

#991335 - 07/18/18 11:36 AM Re: Boating accident yesterday, Cowlitz, please help! [Re: HntnFsh]
laterun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Napavine,Washington
On the local news this morning said the guy who didn't make it had a heart attack. This was from the coroner.

#991345 - 07/18/18 04:29 PM Re: Boating accident yesterday, Cowlitz, please help! [Re: HntnFsh]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
In the case of a heart attack, much probably could not be done, but I have to ask ? Did either have life jackets on ?

I even wear an inflatable when I am wade fishing.

I have been in the water twice and am thankful I always wear a flotation device. If I hadn't I might not be making this post. In one case I was able to stand up, the other I went 8 feet down and the PFD poped me to the surface as I did a Hail Mary with three thousand dollars of camera gear held high.

The camera gear didn't make it due to water damage, but more importantly my wife didn't need to make a claim on my life insurance and I am still here 30 years later from that incident.

I am frustrated when ever I see an adult in a boat of any sort and the child is wearing a flotation device but the adult is not.

#991360 - 07/19/18 08:25 AM Re: Boating accident yesterday, Cowlitz, please help! [Re: Sebastes]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
Originally Posted By: Sebastes

I am frustrated when ever I see an adult in a boat of any sort and the child is wearing a flotation device but the adult is not.

Having kids really increased my safety awareness and politeness. It's interesting how some of my behaviors changed when I started doing things like I want my kids to do. That much more important that I come home to them too.

The funny thing is that getting my pistol did the same thing. One example, I thought I'd look pretty dumb if I drowned with a pistol on my hip (in case I need it), but no pfd on.

So is the theory the guy hit the cold water and the shock triggered a heart attack?

#991385 - 07/19/18 06:03 PM Re: Boating accident yesterday, Cowlitz, please help! [Re: HntnFsh]
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Don't know how to share the link but on Lewis county sirens Facebook there is a story that Shilo was found today near where the boat capsized. She didn't survive the accident.

#991788 - 07/29/18 04:48 PM Re: Boating accident yesterday, Cowlitz, please help! [Re: HntnFsh]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vashon
Damn shame all aorund. WEAR THAT PFD!!!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 948 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |