THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#992114 - 08/09/18 12:06 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Beach, me-thinks.

fb

#992117 - 08/09/18 12:45 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: deerlick]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Originally Posted By: deerlick
Or not, nobody reads this anymore. I'm sure there is endless facebook posts about it to go [Bleeeeep!] on.

Plenty reading the board. The logging in every week prevents posting.

#992119 - 08/09/18 01:01 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: Larry B]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Originally Posted By: Larry B
If you fish out of Pt. Defiance be sure that if you are questioned by a WDFW fish checker that you ensure that they ask you where you caught your fish rather than allowing them to assume any fish were caught in MA11 (when they might have been caught in MA 13). Accuracy in creel surveys is critical.

I have been checked by enforcement in nearly every Marine area at least 15-20 times. I have never been surveyed by a fish checker. I have seen them while heading out a few times. They must go home early.

This is a broken system. It’s even worse in fresh water. Every Chinook counted is multiplied by 8 to 9 times and rising. It goes up every year go look at the Sport catch report. Turning in a full card adds 256 Fish to the Sport tally.
People from out of town, kids, one time fishers etc. are not turning there cards in which causes this rate to go up. I still remember when they doubled the reported catch, those were the good old days.

#992215 - 08/13/18 04:17 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: Jake Dogfish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Jake Dogfish
Originally Posted By: Larry B
If you fish out of Pt. Defiance be sure that if you are questioned by a WDFW fish checker that you ensure that they ask you where you caught your fish rather than allowing them to assume any fish were caught in MA11 (when they might have been caught in MA 13). Accuracy in creel surveys is critical.

I have been checked by enforcement in nearly every Marine area at least 15-20 times. I have never been surveyed by a fish checker. I have seen them while heading out a few times. They must go home early.

This is a broken system. It’s even worse in fresh water. Every Chinook counted is multiplied by 8 to 9 times and rising. It goes up every year go look at the Sport catch report. Turning in a full card adds 256 Fish to the Sport tally.
People from out of town, kids, one time fishers etc. are not turning there cards in which causes this rate to go up. I still remember when they doubled the reported catch, those were the good old days.

The point of my post was to encourage fishers to ensure that IF they are contacted by a fish checker that they are asked where the fish was caught. Reason? There was some concern that folks coming in to Pt. Defiance with fish were presumed to have caught those fish in MA 11 when some had actually been caught in MA 13.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#992514 - 08/22/18 01:58 PM Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma [Re: fishenfool]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Quote:
WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

Aug. 20, 2018

CORRECTION: The previous version was unclear whether the rule applies at year-round docks and fishing piers within Marine Area 11. Anglers fishing at those docks and fishing piers may retain one chinook as part of a daily limit of two salmon, consistent with rules for fishing piers around Puget Sound.

August 15, 2018

Hatchery chinook retention to increase to 2 per day in Marine Area 11

Action: Daily limit of hatchery chinook salmon will increase to two in Marine Area 11 (Tacoma-Vashon Island), except at year-round docks and piers.

Effective date: 12 a.m. Friday, Aug. 17.

Species affected: Hatchery chinook salmon

Location: Marine Area 11 (Tacoma-Vashon Island), excluding year-round docks and piers.

Reason for action: Preliminary estimates indicate that anglers have harvested 63 percent of the summer quota through Aug. 12. Sufficient quota remains to increase the daily limit for hatchery chinook salmon to two.

Additional information: Anglers fishing Marine Area 11 have a daily catch limit of two salmon but must release wild chinook, except for the year-round docks and piers (listed in the 2018-19 Washington Sport Pamphlet), where anglers may retain only 1 chinook salmon (wild or hatchery). For more information, anglers should consult the 2018-19 Washington Sports Fishing Rules pamphlet available online at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/.

Anglers can check WDFW's website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports_plants.html for the latest information on marine areas that are managed to a quota or guideline.

Information contact: David Stormer, Puget Sound recreational salmon fishery manager, (360) 902-0058; or Mark Baltzell, Puget Sound salmon manager, (360) 902-2807.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |