Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#992379 - 08/17/18 07:52 PM Molokai flats action
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
I'm FB friends with some of you so you guys just ignore this.....don't wanna bore anyone!

I recently had a killer weekend of “fishing firsts” with two awesome friends, but other than a couple of grouper I was totally blanked the first two days while they battled fish after fish. My buddy Nate was on bonefish constantly and my buddy Frank scored bones and trevally on grubs and a rare monster bonefish hookup on a spoon. I felt like Charlie Brown on Halloween, walking around with a bag full of goddamn rocks while everyone else got candy.

Peacock grouper are still pretty damn cool fish though...

On day three I was desperate to shed the “skunk stench” from my body, and I finally scored my first good flyrod GT on the flats. Even cooler was watching it smash a bonefish fly tied by Nate not ten feet from me and Josiah. My Echo 8 wt and bonefish leader were pushed to the max, but we landed it after 400 yards of crazy Nantucket Sleigh Riding across the shallows.....

A couple hours later Clay positioned me well and I scored my first two Molokai bones, going two for three. My first was a solid six pounder and I was super stoked. My second one ran right at me after a couple long blistering runs and shot straight between my legs. I thought it snapped my rod top but luckily only the leader broke. My third hookup was a bruiser. I’ve never had a bonefish take out so much backing or take so long to land. These are unlike any Caribbean bonefish I’ve ever hooked. They’re steroid-fueled speed demons.

My #3 hookup for the day...

Molokai is like Kona in 1930. Very chill. No traffic lights, cool people and a sweet, slow vibe. Aloha.

Edited by Mingo (08/17/18 08:05 PM)

#992388 - 08/18/18 06:53 AM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: Mingo]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Killer! Monster bonefish.

What’s up with that brown water? Is it usually like that or just when the wind picks up?

#992412 - 08/19/18 10:17 AM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: Mingo]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Been too long since you "bored" us - thanks for sharing!! Cool stuff!

#992413 - 08/19/18 10:26 AM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: Mingo]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Always love it when Mingo drops pixels & prose....

No "Ooooooooo"?

#992418 - 08/20/18 09:58 AM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: Mingo]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Excellent stuff, didn't mind seeing it on Facebook and here, not one bit!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#992440 - 08/21/18 01:10 PM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
Killer! Monster bonefish.

What’s up with that brown water? Is it usually like that or just when the wind picks up?

Thanks man. Some sections of the giant flats there are murkier than others all the time, but that water was from wind. Every afternoon the wind came up really strong. The good thing is that even though they're harder to spot, they get pretty aggressive in that brownish water. The vis is actually a little better than it seems in the photos.

#992442 - 08/21/18 01:11 PM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: ]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: stam
Originally Posted By: Mingo
.....don't wanna bore anyone!

...no danger of that.

Thanks for the ride.

When you coming to Kona brah?

beer

#992448 - 08/21/18 01:29 PM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: Driftin']
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Driftin'
Always love it when Mingo drops pixels & prose....

No "Ooooooooo"?

here you go.....me and my triggerfish doing a double O... thumbs

Edited by Mingo (08/21/18 01:30 PM)

#992476 - 08/22/18 07:04 AM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: Mingo]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
While I have never actually even hooked a fish while fishing in Hawaii I have snorkeled. I dearly love seeing those Peacock Groupers, who really don't like to pose for pictures. On some of them, the blue is amazingly electric.

#992490 - 08/22/18 10:01 AM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: Mingo]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore

Obliged.

Triggers have sand and $hit same. Was scuba-doing the coral flats around Green Island, GBR and saw a 3" trigger come out of his coral doghouse and get to the end of his rope, suspended in the water a few feet ahead of me. Knowing they are territorial, I yielded a couple feet away and he calmly returned home and let me pass. My ignorant dive buddy was not so savvy and trespassed. Little blighter lit him up, opening up his kneecap flesh to the bone (thus earning their name) followed by a bout of fisticuffs that my buddy lost after getting nailed in the hands too. I took pity on him after a few seconds, grabbed his tank yoke and pulled him back a couple feet as he made poor attempts at that little speed bag and Fido predictably returned to his doghouse. Flooded my mask as I was laughing so hard.

There's also a big spire named White Rock near Koh Tao off the east coast of Thailand that is/was the home of an internationally known bad ass trigger named Trevor. Had a similar meeting with him a few decades ago and watched him perforate fins on a couple ignorant divers that mistakenly entered his territory. That dude had mad skills and was faster than Pacquiao in his prime. Have some old Kodachrome slides of him humiliating/perforating the trespassing tourists....

#992493 - 08/22/18 11:03 AM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: Mingo]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Never had problems with fish while diving/snorkeling. But, while in the Galapagos I had a sea lion tug on my flipper twice because I was photographing the other ones and ignoring him.

#992497 - 08/22/18 11:44 AM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: Driftin']
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: Driftin'

Triggers have sand and $hit same. Was scuba-doing the coral flats around Green Island, GBR and saw a 3" trigger come out of his coral doghouse and get to the end of his rope, suspended in the water a few feet ahead of me. Knowing they are territorial, I yielded a couple feet away and he calmly returned home and let me pass. My ignorant dive buddy was not so savvy and trespassed. Little blighter lit him up, opening up his kneecap flesh to the bone (thus earning their name) followed by a bout of fisticuffs that my buddy lost after getting nailed in the hands too. I took pity on him after a few seconds, grabbed his tank yoke and pulled him back a couple feet as he made poor attempts at that little speed bag and Fido predictably returned to his doghouse. Flooded my mask as I was laughing so hard.

they're not the cute little mellow critters tourists think they are. more than one snorkeler here has lost the tip of a finger to a humuhumunukunukuapua'a when they poked at it. They're also not the state fish anymore. that expired years ago and the state hasn't formally done anything to renew it. But some people think they're protected, in fact one stupid dickhead got in my face when I took my nieces fishing and they each caught some humuhumu. He said "they're protected, you can't fish for them, you'll get a huge fine blah blah blah." Everything he said was incorrect. When I pointed that out to him, he changed his argument and said I should take them snorkeling instead so they don't impact wildlife. He also said catch and release doesn't work and all saltwater fish die if released rofl

His PETA- scripted line of bulls!t didn't work and he could see I wasn't going to stop fishing with my family, so he skulked away to vape some patchouli-scented estrogen essence.

#992499 - 08/22/18 12:06 PM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: Mingo]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA

His PETA- scripted line of bulls!t didn't work and he could see I wasn't going to stop fishing with my family, so he skulked away to vape some patchouli-scented estrogen essence.

rofl

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#992506 - 08/22/18 01:20 PM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: Mingo]
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
Must not have gotten my fly close enough to their face. I cast right at them but they just swim off.

#992520 - 08/22/18 03:19 PM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: skyrise]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: skyrise
Must not have gotten my fly close enough to their face. I cast right at them but they just swim off.

they often do that, but if you hit them in the right mood they'll eat. seaweed flies, soft hackles etc will work. they're opportunists and they like small crustaceans.

#992522 - 08/22/18 03:37 PM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: Mingo]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Awesome thread - awsome photos!

Thanks for the story, Mingo. thumbs

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#992588 - 08/23/18 07:50 PM Re: Molokai flats action [Re: Mingo]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Nice pics Mingo!

Hopefully those flats make it through the hurricane without significant corral damage and whatnot. My old Key West and Lower Keys haunts were totally obliterated last year and it'll take a lifetime for it to become what it once was.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |