Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99336 - 11/16/00 07:03 PM Re: Snohomish and Stilly System closures
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Switch gears to what? Keep the momentum going, Release all wild fish statewide!!!

#99337 - 11/16/00 07:10 PM Re: Snohomish and Stilly System closures
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Check the FYI Statewide Steelhead Sign UP Post I made.

#99338 - 11/16/00 07:14 PM Re: Snohomish and Stilly System closures
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: White Salmon, WA
Skookum, You're right, pointing fingers isn't going to solve anything, but I think it's important to have a good idea of how this situation came about. It is important to know where someone is coming from in order to assess the sincerity of his words.

I disagree with your comment that WDFW is trying to do what's best for the fish. Their past management strategy of promoting kill fisheries on these declining stocks is my proof. I think they're trying to save their butts on this one.

#99339 - 11/17/00 12:57 AM Re: Snohomish and Stilly System closures
ctflyfish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: ridgefield wa. usa
I have to agree with Stinkfoot. WDF&W seems to live in fear that somewhere-someplace a wild fish will somehow manage to die of old age. Last year's relaxing of c&r on the penninsula rivers was driven by the department over the strong objection of the guide's assn, the Forks C of C and about everyone else. For my part, I am writing the Eagle's Nest Motel in Concrete and several other places of business and telling them exactly why my room will be empty this April.

Has anyone figured out how the department has attempted to manage sport fishing in this state for about 100 years and still has not conducted a c&r mortality study?

#99340 - 11/17/00 02:51 AM Re: Snohomish and Stilly System closures
Skookum Offline
Fry

Loc: Seattle, WA
The key word in my statement is that they are doing what they THINK is best for the fish, and from the fishes perspective, certainly no fishing at all is best. After long conversations with the biologists, I really do believe they are trying to maintain a healthy population of fish. As for the past (and continued) catch and kill on wild fish around the state, well, I can only say that it's disappointing and in my mind, wrong. But the political pressure to maintain a kill policy is extremely powerful in this state. While a majority of us on this board may support a statewide catch and release, you might be surprised at the strength and number of very vocal kill supporters. In fact, a large number of callers to the WDFW are against any special C & R seasons. I think that until the sportfishing community can stand as a more unified group on this issue, we may be forced into no fishing at all in some cases. Perhaps this latest closure can, as mentioned above get some more momentum behind a statewide C & R policy. Yes, I'm mad about what's going on, and what has happened in the past, but what I want to do is figure out how we can improve things for the future. Why some people would rather kill wild steelhead or not fish at all is beyond me, and with the population increase, development and stream habitat degradation going on around here, we have to get together on the concept of C & R. In the mean time, I'm staying away from tall buildings and have hidden all the sharp objects around the house. Somehow, casting my two-hander at bedding bluegills just doesn't get me excited for spring. I know people out there are upset, and probably none more than me, but hopefully we can at least try to make lemonade out of these very sour lemons we've been given. Peace.

#99341 - 11/17/00 08:58 AM Re: Snohomish and Stilly System closures
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Skookum, You saved me about an hour of painsaking typing, well said. WE should stop crying and work as a GROUP to change the biologists methology,what they have decided is best for the nates.

------------------
would the boy you were be proud of the man you are

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#99342 - 11/17/00 11:07 AM Re: Snohomish and Stilly System closures
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: White Salmon, WA
Skookum, I sure don't think you're a WDFW shill and I admire your ability to keep a level head in this discussion. I am extremely frustrated and disgusted by the situation and by what I see as WDFW's unwillingness to admit their contribution to this problem. I don't think that's just a matter of finger pointing, either. A restoration plan that doesn't at least adknowledge all causes of mortality is incomplete.
I just hope that oly pen fish managers are ready for the increased pressure their fish populations will face this year!

#99343 - 11/17/00 12:22 PM Re: Snohomish and Stilly System closures
free drifter Offline
Alevin

Loc: issaquah,wa
Stinkfoot,I couldnt have said it any better.It is not about pointing fingers its about holding these people in positions of power accountable for there actions.I am sick and tired of rolling over without a fight, curt kramer thinks and acts like he is god some of the decisions he makes behind closed doors makes me sick.Kent at Teds told me last night that the Really big one(Bob)is trying to hire an Attorney.If nothing else it lets these people know we are not going to take this any more.The only reason they have allowed a kill fishery on nates is so the tribes and state could justify a net fishery.

#99344 - 11/17/00 01:46 PM Re: Snohomish and Stilly System closures
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Please see my post under the second portion of this thread regarding my thoughts and ideas

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#99345 - 11/17/00 04:41 PM Re: Snohomish and Stilly System closures
Les Johnson Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle, Washington, King Coun...
Quote:
Originally posted by Sinktip:
I sit here in shock. That the native spawning returns are low, I can believe. That they are considering closing off the catch and release while keeping a catch and kill native fishery I find un****ing believeable!!! Curious to see the numbers they are basing these decisions on as well. As many of you are aware, the nates didn't show in good numbers last year until the last week of April. Were the collection methods designed to measure bunched arrivals or are they based on a sampling methodology? I'm sure I will have more thoughts on this once I overcome the shock of hearing that a river I spend 60-70 days a year on might be closed. Go figure.

#99346 - 11/17/00 07:34 PM Re: Snohomish and Stilly System closures
Sinktip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Les Johnson,

Not sure why you reposted my blurb from earlier in the week. I see you are new to the board and might have done it by accident in trying to respond to it. If so, please try again. If you are THE Les Johnson, I sure want to hear what you have to say. In fairness, my original post was files under the premise they were keeping the catch and kill. This we are now hearing is false. At least they got that part right, just too little too late.

Still in shock -- Sinktip

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1030 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645362 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |