Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#993427 - 09/11/18 10:29 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Have many fond memories of WY elk and trout on the fly.

Looks like you made some too....

#993444 - 09/11/18 03:23 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: Driftin']
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Originally Posted By: Driftin'
Have many fond memories of WY elk and trout on the fly.

Looks like you made some too....

+1. If I ever leave WA, WY is where I'm headed next. It's heaven on earth and the way Colorado used to be 30 - 40 years ago.

#993719 - 09/18/18 09:45 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Ikissmykiss Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Snohomish County
Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
Never hunted in grizzly country before.
Definitely adds to the hunt

No kidding...not sure I want or need that type of excitement while elk hunting.

A Wyoming guide was killed by a Grizzly just last Fri while packing out an elk. Client was mauled but survived and called for help. The guide was married with 5 kids...

Ike

#993720 - 09/18/18 10:00 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: Ikissmykiss]
Todd Offline
Bumpin the 6X9's

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Ikissmykiss
Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
Never hunted in grizzly country before.
Definitely adds to the hunt

No kidding...not sure I want or need that type of excitement while elk hunting.

A Wyoming guide was killed by a Grizzly just last Fri while packing out an elk. Client was mauled but survived and called for help. The guide was married with 5 kids...

Ike

Unfortunately this is part of the game, a really dangerous and schitty part.

The story said that they had a big ol' handgun with them when they went in the woods after the elk the next morning, but that it was stowed in a pack and the pack was "over there" on the ground when the bear strolled up on them and the dead elk...this seems like the wrong place to be stowing the gun.

Hindsight is 20/20, but if I were going into the bushes after a wounded/dead elk that had been out all night, I'd have that gun locked and loaded and in my hand the entire time, the chances of a bear being on or near that elk carcass is too high to do otherwise.

Fish on...

Todd

#993748 - 09/18/18 04:31 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

That's a really sad conclusion to a very poor decision.

If I even remotely think I'll run into any trouble of any kind whatsoever, I have my weapon at the ready 24/7. I've previously shared with the board that I've had a scrape with an extremely pushy and agitated black bear while I was unarmed before...and now I just don't play. Especially in Griz country.

This mistake is on the guide. There should have been a minimum of 2 rifles and 2 hand-cannons locked, loaded and at the ready. Preferably a third set of eyes to look out and oversee the guys doing the dirty ground work. Just bad thinking....poor fella.

Edit and PS: I've told Todd this, but at our secret Chanterelle spot I stumbled upon a freshly killed and semi-buried BT yearling that had just been chewed on (blood was still wet). Hair on the back of my neck stood straight up; hand went on my weapon and I noped the heck outta there. When in doubt, back off. No Elk or mushroom is worth it.

Edited by NickD90 (09/18/18 04:40 PM)

#993822 - 09/19/18 07:11 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

I just read were the client / survivor chucked a pistol at the guide as the guide had one of the bears on top of him and then he RAN AWAY!

WOW.

What a coward.

#993853 - 09/20/18 11:49 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
stam Offline
Model Citizen, Zero Discipline!

Loc: wherever I want to be...
Did he go back for the elk?

http://community.webshots.com/user/stamtma?vhost=community

soremouth the works...

#993855 - 09/20/18 12:30 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: stam]
Todd Offline
Bumpin the 6X9's

Originally Posted By: stam
Did he go back for the elk?

Am I a horrible person for wondering that, too?

Fish on...

Todd

#993859 - 09/20/18 02:33 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

rofl

#994266 - 10/02/18 08:55 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Gettin' ready for prime time! We got at least 7 bucks of various sizes on camera moving about, but the "Masher" has been a no show so far. SOON!

#994269 - 10/02/18 09:22 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Bumpin the 6X9's

BANG!

Can't fuckin wait! One more day of prep stuff, and it's on.

Fish on...

Todd

#994270 - 10/02/18 09:35 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
Official Darkside Fucktard Whisperer

Good luck!

#994286 - 10/02/18 07:39 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Yep, good luck.
Don't get bar eaten.

#994294 - 10/03/18 12:21 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

It's finally here. I'm headed out tomorrow to get a little more scouting in until my White River bull tag opens Saturday. I took work off through the week, so I should get a bull if I can find the right one and get him to hold still long enough for me to get him with my muzzy. From what I've been seeing, it should be good!

Good luck to everyone who gets to hunt starting Saturday!

#994297 - 10/03/18 01:15 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Excited to see your pics!!

#994308 - 10/03/18 05:52 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Go git' em WSU! That's a great tag!

#994321 - 10/04/18 08:57 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

OK, time for Salmo's non-hunting report. As per usual, the yard is full of deer again this year. Fortunately they have been staying off the front porch, but they are checking ever inch of the exclosure fencing around my raised bed garden area. More bucks than ever this year, but I've only seen spikes and fork horns. And this seems to happen every year; I haven't seen an antlered animal in the last 3 weeks. I think a memo goes out to them every year that early archery season opens Sept. 1 or thereabouts. Funny how all the bucks get scarce around the end of summer every year. I really should get a game camera and mount it on our deer "freeway" to get some idea of just how many of these hooved varmints inhabit the neighborhood.

I have a bear story too. Two weeks ago I was fishing on the Madison River up a trail from a public access. On my way out that afternoon I could see a couple people at the access waving their arms over their heads toward me. For a moment I thought they were mistaking me for my well-known popular friend and were just happy to see me coming to the parking area. Then I overheard them yelling, "There, there!" Huh? So I yelled back, "There where?" Still hiking along, I could now hear that they were saying, "Bear! Bear!" So naturally I said, "Where?" "In the brush right in front of you!" they responded. Oh. So I yelled, "Black bear?" They replied, "Yes." So I reached for the can of bear spray in my pack's side pocket and let my wading staff drag and clank along the trail and began talking my usual and best Alaska and Kamchatkan "Hey bear, hey bear," and walked forward on the trail which became extremely brushy there because it was a riparian area along a small creek that ran into the big river. And sure enough, Mister Blackie was sufficiently disturbed by my conversation that he climbed up the hill from this brushy berry patch until he was about 10' above and 20' west of the trail. So I kept talking to him and walked over to the access area where my car was parked. I had no sooner reached the parking lot and the bear came right back down into the brush and resumed chomping on the berries he had been feasting on. I met the couple who had warned me of the bear's presence and thanked them. If they hadn't been there and seen the bear, the brush is so thick on the trail at that one spot that I would have literally run smack into the bear before I saw it. I think that is only the second, maybe third, time that I have encountered a black bear that didn't zoom off full speed away when I came upon them. This guy just didn't want to leave his berry patch and was willing to move aside for a minute while I walked through his territory. Then I got to thinking, just before I began hiking out, another angler came hiking up into the canyon, and he too would be hiking out at some point in the late afternoon or early evening. I hope the bear was finished with the berry patch by then.

Oh, the trout fishing was just so-so, and the biggest brown came unhooked and got away.

#994337 - 10/04/18 08:52 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
A few Septembers ago the wife and I hiked into Cascade Lake in Yellowstone to chase grayling. We gave up on the lake and were cruising along the shoreline looking for the outlet. First, we found an area about 20x20 where the grass was all matted down. There were some pieces of elk hair and a very few pieces of bone. After doing the standard (for me) but probably dumb thing of looking closely at the carnage we went on fishing. After talking with the wolf bio about which pack probably killed the elk I sort of arrived at the conclusion that the wolves killed the elk, ate some, and then the Griz cleaned up. The next time we went to Yellowstone we carried bear spray. Never saw anything, but I suspect that "they" saw us.

#994351 - 10/05/18 08:22 AM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Salmo - I have an extra game camera if'n you really want to check out what's out there. They go nocturnal as soon as their velvet comes off. A couple of ours were on daytime camera Sept 1st with velvet and on the 2nd, the velvet was already off and they haven't been seen during the day since. It's pretty amazing how fast they can shed their velvet.

#994378 - 10/05/18 01:16 PM Re: 2018 Hunting Season [Re: NickD90]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

The velvet gnome is the problem.
Spook the chit out of about anything.......................except bigfoot.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish Hawg, lupo
Recent Gallery Pix
Gibbs Delta Time Capsule
Driftin'
Who's Online
4 registered (DrifterWA, steely slammer, Larry B, 1 invisible), 148 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Benjamin Hayashi, Clearwater Alaska, fishon65, thundrrr, Thumbburner
11432 Registered Users
Top Posters
Hankster 31623
Todd 25021
Sol Duc 15552
Dan S. 15117
elparquito 13528
Salmo g. 12527
eyeFISH 12422
stam 12330
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10978
Forum Stats
11432 Members
18 Forums
76833 Topics
894443 Posts

Max Online: 596 @ 05/24/12 03:35 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |