Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99374 - 11/14/00 03:08 PM FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
FYI, for those who are interested there is a sign up sheet available at Ted's Sporting Goods in Lynnwood for gathering signitures of anglers who would support a statewide wild steelhead release regulation.

#99375 - 11/14/00 09:32 PM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live out in the Forks area and I was wondering if there was a place I could sign up that was closer to my location. If not would it be possible for me to get one of the forms to post out here.

#99376 - 11/14/00 10:21 PM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Rich G,
E-mail me your address and I'll send some copies snail mail.

#99377 - 11/15/00 12:20 AM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
Anonymous
Unregistered

RICH-
You didnt leave your E-mail address so Ill just post my address on here.

RICHARD GERMEAU
P.O. BOX 1594
FORKS WA. 98331.

#99378 - 11/15/00 01:47 AM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
Scaly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA, USA
I'm hearing some very "reliable rumors" to the effect that the F&W Commission is pulling this issue off the table for now, pending a west coast conference on the fish, next spring. But... this may be all the more reason to mount support.

#99379 - 11/15/00 02:11 AM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Please mail me one also.
Keith Archer
25117 NE 72nd ave
Battle Ground WA 98604

------------------

#99380 - 11/16/00 01:14 PM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
I saw some forms at the shop in Ballard yesterday, Salmon Bay.

#99381 - 11/16/00 01:39 PM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
CtDrifter Offline
Parr

Loc: ellensburg and kitsap county
Could you please send me one too. Thanks.

Chris Tolman
PO BOX 937
Poulsbo Wa 98370

#99382 - 11/16/00 06:47 PM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
free drifter Offline
Alevin

Loc: issaquah,wa
GOOD JOB KENT!
SW.

#99383 - 11/17/00 03:25 AM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
Skookum Offline
Fry

Loc: Seattle, WA
If the March/April emergency closures aren't enough to get people on this bandwagon, nothing will work. If there's any good to the loss of this fishery this year, it's that I think it will get a lot of people (like me) motivated to do something. Sure points out how fragile the things we take for granted are and how easily they can be lost. Thanks for getting this thing going--I'm going to sign up at Salmon Bay tomorrow.

#99384 - 11/17/00 08:12 AM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Chehalis, Washington USA
I have obviously missed something here...isn't it already law that wild steelhead must be released? But then the "managers" my open a wild season? Is this calling for this practice to stop or reinforcing the wild steelhead release rule or law. Hmmm...maybe it is just a rule and not law....don't have time to look into it...educate me somebody!

Jim

#99385 - 11/17/00 01:18 PM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Jim,
Technically you are right about the rule.

What we are trying to do is get as many signatures as possible together saying "No more wild steelhead kill,statewide,year round".Plain and simple.

We then want to shove this in the state's face and say enough is enough.These signature's will be our ammo.

I also want to thank all those who have gone out of their way to come over and sign up.Kudos to those who have asked for their own sign up sheets to gather more signatures.Only together we can make this happen.

For those who would also like their own petition forms,please E-mail me at
rebakaa@earthlink.net

Thanks ReiterRat.

#99386 - 11/17/00 01:43 PM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
duke Offline
Parr

Loc: Moscow, ID, USA
Thanks Jim, I had the exact same question. I fish mostly on the East side and just a few rivers over west. Wild steelhead release has always just been a fact of life for me. I wonder if it would be easier to go after fish and game on a river by river basis as they already have the "state wide wild release" in effect. A petition such as described here just seem redundant. Would it be possible to isolate the few rivers where F&G allows wild take so the issue is more directed. ( please don't read this as I think the petition is a poor idea because I do think it's a good idea)

just my opinion

Duke

[This message has been edited by duke (edited 11-17-2000).]

#99387 - 11/17/00 01:58 PM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: White Salmon, WA
ReiterRat, could you send me some of those petition forms? Thanks
hank@gorge.net

Oops, I didn'y read your post two above this one. i'll e-mail you. Never mind!

[This message has been edited by Stinkfoot (edited 11-17-2000).]

#99388 - 11/17/00 07:57 PM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
Sinktip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
I may be off base on this one but Skookum asked me earlier today about experience in political activism. Well I don't have any but driving home I got to thinking about the political process. It occurs to me that we may be going about this all wrong. If I understand the petition currently being circulated correctly, we are signing up to tell WDFG that we want a statewide C & R of native fish. Unless I'm wrong, they can look at ourlist of 150,000+ signatures and say, f*** you. So what other avenue can we use? Since Tim Eyman can get the proper number of signatures on an initiative to limit mass transportation or lower car tabs, why couldn't we get enough to put c & r of natives before the voters. Seems that taking this to the public might be the best answer. We could make C & R of natives the LAW and outside the "management" of the WDFG. I know we have tried this route before with BAN but that was a horse of a diff. color. This would potentially get the sportsmen, the environmentalists and buisness behind it. Heck, if those more informed than I think this worthy, I'm willing to donate my time helping pull it together and stumping for signatures. Besides, I suddenly have a lot of free time this spring.

Sinktip

[This message has been edited by Sinktip (edited 11-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sinktip (edited 11-17-2000).]

#99389 - 11/18/00 02:49 PM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
Hey Reiter Rat, I'll be stopping by Ted's ASAP to sign up. You can tell Mike or Kent or Brian, "Great Idea", and thanks, for whoever thought this up. Keep the good work guys! THANKS, cr.

#99390 - 11/18/00 05:28 PM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
hrdbull Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett, WA
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!! Before you guys go crazy over this "All Wild Fish Release"...How about those nets waiting to scoop up your precious, just released unharmed, Steelhead? Until last year I have released 95% of my catch, 40-50 steelhead a winter. Last February, I released two in the 13 pound range in the same drift. I walked a quarter mile upstream to find 2 nets across the river. Needless to say I was not happy. Called WF&G..."Nothing we can really do about it."

I understand what you are all trying to do. Problem is we are putting the cart before the horse. Until the nets are gone we are fighting a loosing battle. The more fish that come back the more they will take. Simple as that. You want to start a petition? Try focusing on commercial harvest and more importantly Indians netting the rivers. What the sport fishermen don't need is another restriction forced upon them! WF&G can't enforce the laws they have not to mention managing any species of game in the entire state!

#99391 - 11/18/00 08:13 PM Re: FYI Statewide Steelhead Release Sign Up
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Rieter Rat and I discussed the list idea before the local closures came up. The intent is to show simple support (a show of hands) of a statewide C&R rule for wild steelhead. The commision is currently looking at this issue. We felt if we had a large list of signitures (even from one shop has an example) supporting a statewide C&R ruling that it would send a pretty powerful testimony supporting such a ruling. If you support it please sign it, if you don't, well do what you believe will help, but DO something. Continue to tell the WDFW & commision what the customer wants, believe me there is a couple of small vocal fishing groups around Puget Sound that support C&K seasons and are actively opposed to total C&R. We as C&R anglers can choose to take some action or we can simply complain that if we don't bonk or if we release the tribes will get our share. Sorry I believe two wrongs don't make a right, I'm willing to take my chances. Hrd Ball if your concerned about forgone opportunity maybe someone like Salmo G. could share some philosophy on that subject.

[This message has been edited by Rich (edited 11-18-2000).]

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 250 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |