Three Rivers Marine

Page 91 of 91 < 1 2 ... 89 90 91
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#993014 - 09/01/18 05:23 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET *** [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Nope I am not dead, yet anyway. Things have been pretty steady around this area and I did not see anything worth posting. Well this the QIN and WDF&W seem to be inching along with Wynoochee Mit but nothing earth shaking. Also the Satsop boat launch is pretty much graveled in and will continue to stay that way I imagine. Stand on the old hwy bridge and look upstream. Whatever caused the river to move west is now going to be feeding thousands of cubic yards of gravel down stream. Damn good chance the whole bridge reach will slowly fill in. So we have a primitive launch.

Edited by Rivrguy (09/01/18 07:46 AM)

#993035 - 09/01/18 01:35 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
does the state still have the old launch downriver on the west side? might be able to use it again

#993043 - 09/02/18 06:46 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: larryb]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

The old bar your talking about is gated off. The launch at the bridge is usable but off the bar but it will water up this winter. Long term no idea as I have zero idea on if that much gravel will flush through.

#993044 - 09/02/18 07:39 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

River changed quite a bit, for the first time in quite a while, below the new split by Stormy's place. I think the switch from the old channel being dominant to the new changed (sped up?) the dynamics of the flow downstream. The big elbow hole where the channels join back together used to slow the flow to a near stop at that point in the past, but since the change, it pushes down through that area much more quickly, likely driving lots of change downstream during last rainy season.

I'll need to take a walk down the lower before it rains, to see how the water below is looking. For the past several years, it seems to me the fishing down there has gotten to be a timing thing. To some extent, it always has been (tides), but it seems like the fish don't hold down there for any length of time anymore, so unless you hit moving fish, you often won't see much happening, even during high season. Hopefully, there is some new holding water down there somewhere. More likely, it's just straightening out more (going the wrong direction), but it's an excuse to go exploring, and I needed one.

#993045 - 09/02/18 08:54 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

The new west channel above the bridges is a huge oxbow with acres of gravel piled up between the west side of the bow and the cliff channel. The west channel has water now but not much flow but once it rains the gravel between the two channels will do something. Thing is 57 years ago and for many more the river below the old bridge was very deep on the west side and from 3 to 5 on the east side. It was the swimming hole with the rope swing and bridge jump on the railroad bridge. Things moved around every year but did not change much over time other than the gravel bar under the old highway bridge growing and shrinking year to year.

Now the bar on the east has moved down to the boat launch area and the bridge bar is gone. What never was before is the west side bar that appears to be expanding. That has never happened in my time. By the way a snag is under water right where the two channels come together for you low water boaters.

#993047 - 09/02/18 01:42 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
not talking about the gravel bar. just above the bar the state had a few acres of land with a boat launch. when the river changed it fill in and they opened the launch by the freeway

#993057 - 09/03/18 07:34 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: larryb]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: larryb
does the state still have the old launch downriver on the west side? might be able to use it again

I know the place your talking about....I've been in the area since 1968, that West side boat launch was gone before my arrival. The road going into that area, Wormans Bar, is still there BUT is gated off.

I'll miss the current boat launch, if its not usable, sure allowed me to "twitch" 100's of Coho over the years.

"I thought growing older would take longer"

#994489 - 10/09/18 12:20 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: DrifterWA]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Well the QIN numbers are up and here is what they are. Modeled Chinook were 1381 & actual is 2216. Coho modeled 3766 actual is 3857. So what happened? IT rained early and on about the 10th of Sept things changed dramatically. The Coho jacks showed with 3 year Chinook then we did not fish for two weeks. The movement was way way more than one would anticipate and shot gunned all over the place. ( shotgun is the same as scattergun )

How much no one knows but the movement was huge and the QIN dropped on the backside of the movement did well the first 2 day set but things tailed down the second and by the time we fished tide water uninterrupted it was done. Simply put now we wait until the fishes timing catches up with ours as the front part of the run is upstream. Inland guys dream come true for a bit but the fish are staging so bites will decline for most lacking fresh fish.

Maybe / maybe not. There are some fish moving head down straight up the river but how far? No idea but once the Chum start in they will bring the rest of the Oct. part of the run with them if any are still waiting. When it rains in the first part of Nov or earlier and the rivers brown out they will move but that is the Nov fish so guys it is all about where you fish.

#994630 - 10/13/18 08:15 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
jgreen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Elma, WA
Anyone taking bets on when they are going to shut us down? With no real rain forecasted all week and into next week, I say we are shut down by the 30th.

#995679 - 11/01/18 12:56 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: jgreen]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Took a quick look at tribal and NT net season and so far it is tracking close to the harvest model with one exception Chum which are a no show ( in numbers ) so far. Have to wait for the last NT set but it was aimed at Chum and from what I have seen they did not find them.

Here is the thing, when looking at NOAA river forecast we have a bump coming and then below average flows the next ten days out and the bump is a small one so the water is going to stay low and clear for this time of year.

Page 91 of 91 < 1 2 ... 89 90 91

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Clackacraftdrifter, Dagget_ca, Lucky Duck, Robert Tharp
Recent Gallery Pix
Gibbs Delta Time Capsule
Driftin'
Who's Online
4 registered (FleaFlickr02, Smalma, fp, 1 invisible), 95 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bob Humble, Duane lindquist, ChromeDoubleHauler, Christian Santos, JuicyCluster
11399 Registered Users
Top Posters
Hankster 29059
Todd 24677
Sol Duc 14902
Dan S. 13891
elparquito 13267
eyeFISH 12333
Salmo g. 12321
STRIKE ZONE 12107
stam 11254
Dogfish 10975
Forum Stats
11399 Members
18 Forums
76464 Topics
883765 Posts

Max Online: 596 @ 05/24/12 03:35 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |