THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#995088 - 10/23/18 05:45 PM SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro?
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

So why is he so incognito after taking the reigns? I mean not a PEEP since the announcement that he was to be the new WDFW Director.

What gives?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#995092 - 10/23/18 06:24 PM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Keeping one's mouth closed prevents feet from occupying it.

#995102 - 10/23/18 08:19 PM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
I think he's doing a lot of listening and watching. Coming from outside, his learning curve is going to be pretty steep. He's been in the chair for just over two months. Have seen/talked with him at a couple of the Orca Task Force meetings. Understand he's scheduled some "listening" meetings around the state. To his credit, he did make a move on a wolf issue. He's got a challenge ahead of him. In my book, a slow start is okay.

#995104 - 10/23/18 08:27 PM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
Open House meetings across the state:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/oct1718a/

October 17, 2018

WDFW invites the public to attend
open house events across state

OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) has scheduled six open house events this fall to give the new director an opportunity to discuss the agency's long-term plans to conserve fish and wildlife and promote outdoor recreation throughout the state.

"The department's work is fundamental to people's quality of life and livelihoods in Washington," said Kelly Susewind, WDFW director. "Our work to conserve fish and wildlife and provide sustainable opportunities affects everyone. Whether you're an active outdoorsperson or you're someone that buys locally-caught seafood at the market, the public expects us to be good stewards of these resources and the public has a say in how they are managed."

Susewind added, "These meetings will allow me to introduce you to my values and approach and I'm eager to hear what's important to you."

Specific topics will include an overview of the department's work in each region, a summary of budget and policy proposals for the 2019 legislative session, and a discussion about how the department should position itself to address new, long-term challenges that affect fish and wildlife.

The open houses, all scheduled for 6:30-8:30 p.m., will take place at the following dates and locations:

Nov. 5 – CenterPlace Regional Event Center, 2426 N. Discovery Place, Spokane Valley
Nov. 6 – Grant County Public Works, 124 Enterprise St. SE, Ephrata
Nov. 7 – Selah Civic Center, 216 1st St., Selah
Nov. 13 – Montesano City Hall, 112 North Main Street, Montesano
Nov. 14 – WDFW Ridgefield Office, 5525 South 11th Street, Ridgefield
Dec. 12 – Issaquah Salmon Hatchery Watershed Science Center, 125 W Sunset Way, Issaquah

Last June, the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission voted unanimously to select Susewind as WDFW's director.

"I am committed to the mission of the agency, and that means hearing from people who care about Washington's fish and wildlife," said Susewind. "I want to share what I have learned so far, but listening to people and their ideas is my main reason for inviting people to attend these events."

#995107 - 10/24/18 06:40 AM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
I'll be at the November 13 meeting......tired of the "kick the can down the road" by past directors, Region 6 staff and WDFW Fish management on NOT getting Wynoochee Mitigation completed.....

really is time, 26 years, "xhit or get off the pot" and do something!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#995108 - 10/24/18 07:04 AM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
River Nutrients

Have a question about the Wynoochee Mitigation but it also ties to removal of the Snake Dams.

The pot of money for Wynoochee is, if memory serves, from Tacoma when they installed hydro generation in the dam. I have heard that they are might/will walk away when this FERC permit expires. If so, then are they now absolved of a mitigation requirement and they get their money back since WDFW never (apparently) wanted or needed mitigation there? The dam is the Corps, so mitigation for the dam itself is their gig.

Which brings me to the Snake. If we take the dams out, then the reason for building, funding, and operating the Lyons Ferry Hatchery goes away. Dams, go, shut down the hatcheries or at least the requirement that the Corps funs them as mitigation for the dams.

#995110 - 10/24/18 07:28 AM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: Carcassman]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
Exactly, C-man,

If the Snake River dams go (which they assuredly won't within the next ten to fifteen years), where will the funding come for salmon/steelhead recovery? Hanging our collective hats on removing these dams shouldn't be the only salvation to Columbia system recovery. We have lots of good habitat in the lower river whose wild fish populations are not doing well, so we need to deal with those issues, too, so there is evidence of poor management, other than the Snake.

#995111 - 10/24/18 07:55 AM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
River Nutrients

I once suggested, and it was of course shot down, that all the Mitchell Act hatcheries downstream of the Cowlitz be closed. Their funding, and production, would be moved to the Cowlitz. Make that into a hatchery driven zoo. Restore wild salmon in all the lower Columbia tribs.

It would, at least in the short term, mess up Buoy Zooey, but the lower Cowlitz would be big enough to host a lot of boats.

#995112 - 10/24/18 08:16 AM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Once again the large number of his stakeholders in Pierce County seem to be marginalized.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#995113 - 10/24/18 08:32 AM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome supposedly is the definition of insanity. WDFW seems stuck on mid-20th century solutions that don't and won't work in this 21st century. Does that make WDFW certifiably insane?

#995121 - 10/24/18 11:33 AM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
River Nutrients

Perhaps. But given how WA already (doesn't) treat mental illness they'll just be left alone.

#995132 - 10/24/18 01:06 PM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: Carcassman]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Keeping one's mouth closed prevents feet from occupying it.

I think that's it. Given the current climate of stakeholder relations (trying to screw each other out of fisheries), a WDFW Director who wants to keep his job will stay out of the public eye and earshot, so that when he shows up at North of Falcon, nobody can complain they were "lied to" or "misled" by the Department. Just toe the line and lower escapement goals when the forecast looks bleak, and he should have little trouble achieving his critical performance objectives: Don't upset the Tribes, and make sure the commercials keep fishing.

#995148 - 10/24/18 05:56 PM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Region 6:

Skokomish
Point No Point Ramp (AKA Boat Launch to No Where)
Wynoochee mitigation

Could be an interesting meeting in Montesano.

Edited by Larry B (10/24/18 06:17 PM)

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#995150 - 10/24/18 06:22 PM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: ned]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: ned

"I am committed to the mission of the agency, and that means hearing from people who care about Washington's fish and wildlife," said Susewind. "I want to share what I have learned so far, but listening to people and their ideas is my main reason for inviting people to attend these events."

OK.... I feel a little better, now. Thanks for the link/announcement, ned

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#995173 - 10/25/18 09:50 AM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
ronnie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lacey

Carcassman's suggestion about the Cowlitz hatchery makes too much sense to be adopted.

The same might work in the Chehalis basin using the Satsop. The wild fish would have the rest of the basin to do their thing.

#995174 - 10/25/18 11:30 AM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
River Nutrients

If we are going to have anadromous fish hatcheries it makes sense to concentrate them in a small area where harvest could be concentrated. In GH, while the Satsop is an option I think the Hump would be better. You have a bay in front of it for marine fisheries, the fish would be fresher too. It would remove a stream with great wild fish potential but if you made the rest of the watershed wild, and actually managed for that, I think it could work out. Plus, the Hump has more water to use for culture.

In the long run, I think that if we are going to have hatchery production we need to do triage. Write off some streams for wild fish because we are going to grow hatchery fish. These might be streams like the Green, Cedar, Puyallup with intensive development. The tradeoff is that there would be no other anadromous hatchery production in the rest of the Sound.

#995197 - 10/25/18 03:24 PM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The problem is WDFW would only make one stream wild and the rest of them hatchery.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#995205 - 10/25/18 04:10 PM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
River Nutrients

Only one wild stream and the rest hatchery would probably be, by far, the most popular position for them to take. Flood the water with fish, kill 'em all. What's not to like?

How many here think that the answer to our "salmon problem" is to plant more fish?

#995208 - 10/25/18 04:38 PM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: Carcassman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Carcassman

How many here think that the answer to our "salmon problem" is to plant more fish?

Lots everywhere think this, against all science to the contrary. Seems like just another part of the "elitist conspiracy" that is knowledge and education.

Queue Pink Floyd.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#995214 - 10/25/18 05:34 PM Re: SUSEWIND... why so lo-pro? [Re: eyeFISH]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Planting more fish has always been the go to for the Hatchery folks and WDFW. It hasn't worked to this point and I doubt that it will work in the future. IMHO.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |