Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#997524 - 11/27/18 07:11 PM MA11 Sportsfishing question
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
A friend of mine saw several sports fishing boats off the Clay Banks in MA11 this last Sunday. Any idea what they are targeting?

#997528 - 11/27/18 07:46 PM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Bay wolf]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Blackmouth.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#997531 - 11/27/18 08:14 PM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
I thought the Blackmouth hatchery program was discontinued several years ago? Are there any blackout in MA11?

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#997535 - 11/27/18 08:42 PM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Bay wolf]
Sprking31 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Auburn Washington
Yearling age fish that tend to residulize and hang around in Puget Sound are still released at numerous facilities. Fishing has been good, check the creel.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/puget/

#997536 - 11/27/18 08:52 PM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Bay wolf]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
A couple years old, but I always enjoyed reading his ramblings.
SF

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/PS_Blackmouth_history.htm

#997537 - 11/28/18 12:17 AM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Bay wolf]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
From what I have been hearing is that there is a ton of fish, but most are just under the legal limit. Most of the guys at the boat house seem to be getting some, but are weeding through quite a few to get a legal fish. They feel it should get better and better as the fish get a little larger over the next few weeks.

#997539 - 11/28/18 05:40 AM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Krijack]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Krijack
From what I have been hearing is that there is a ton of fish, but most are just under the legal limit. Most of the guys at the boat house seem to be getting some, but are weeding through quite a few to get a legal fish. They feel it should get better and better as the fish get a little larger over the next few weeks.

Sounds like yet another example of an ill-timed, ill-advised fishery to me. Why not open it when the fish get larger, so we don't kill 10 fish to harvest two? In a time when we're "concerned" about the shrinking size of chinook, should we really be targeting stocks comprised mostly of juveniles?

Of course, I know the answer, which is that we had better fish any time they let us. Hard to argue with that point....

#997557 - 11/28/18 11:55 AM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Bay wolf]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

They "let" us fish for them as a winter recreational opportunity targeting hatchery produced Chinook. Furthermore, remember the Puget Sound Salmon Stamp you had to buy? Those funds were used to rear Chinook for delayed release specifically to provide that winter blackmouth fishery (thanks to the late Senator Oke). The WDFW never did meet the production specified in the legislation (both in numbers and size) and tried to get rid of the program. Senator Oke opined that if they pushed for that he would ensure that the stamp and resulting money would go away. Ultimately the stamp went away tied to an increase in license fees and a system that sent a portion of license money to the hatchery program for each returned CRC which indicated that the individual had fished for salmon. WDFW has subsequently shifted its released to smaller fish arguing that they generate a higher contribution than those released at a larger size.

Given recent scientific study data a counter argument might well be that smaller fish at release manage to get out of the pinniped red zone and grow to adult size then return to be caught in the summer recreational fishery whereas the fish released at a larger size probably residualize at a higher rate but by doing so end up trying to survive in that pinniped red zone with a much lower survival rate.

So, the fact that these are hatchery fish means they were produced by the State for harvest so the issue of their being "juveniles" is irrelevant. Furthermore, emergent data reasonably leads one to conclude that disparities in prior contribution rates (by release size) can be directly attributed to increasing populations of harbor seals and their predation on smolt and resident blackmouth. One might argue that reduction of the legal minimize size of winter blackmouth would allow a better opportunity for recreational anglers to harvest a blackmouth before it becomes seal food.

#997562 - 11/28/18 12:44 PM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Bay wolf]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I like your idea of lowering the slot limit to allow anglers to harvest the first two they catch. I'd like to see that regulation applied across all saltwater salmon fisheries. We have too many fisheries where anglers find themselves "sorting" through multiple fish they aren't supposed to catch to get a bite from a keeper. I think we'd do less unintended damage bonking the first two, fin or no fin, and getting off the water.

I'm assuming that fewer fish dying in the blackmouth fishery (while achieving planned harvest rates) might benefit the ecosystem overall, and the SRKWs in particular. Put another way, why not maximize the potential benefits associated with the program?

#997564 - 11/28/18 01:02 PM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Bay wolf]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Might even need to go further, and require the keeping of the first two fish caught. It would suck, but would push everyone to take notice of what they were doing and make efforts to reduce catch of smaller fish.

#997572 - 11/28/18 02:21 PM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Krijack]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Krijack
Might even need to go further, and require the keeping of the first two fish caught. It would suck, but would push everyone to take notice of what they were doing and make efforts to reduce catch of smaller fish.

That might be a hard sell to NOAA/NMFS taking into consideration ESA listed Puget Sound Chinook. And then there are the tribes and NOF.....

#997573 - 11/28/18 02:23 PM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
I like your idea of lowering the slot limit to allow anglers to harvest the first two they catch.

Whose idea? Not mine!

#997576 - 11/28/18 02:34 PM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Bay wolf]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Nice analysis Larry B.

I have mixed feelings about this fishery. On the one hand it gives me a reason to run the boat around a bit in the winter, and it gives south sound boaters a fishery in an otherwise bleak time of year (all the nearby river closures). On the other hand should I actually catch legal size fish I'm not going to eat them, and we do kill a disproportionate number of juvenile fish sorting around on them.

So there, I have no strong feelings one way or the other, hows that for a lame post?

fb

#997584 - 11/28/18 03:33 PM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Larry B]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Sorry, Larry. I'll claim the "make smaller ones legal" idea as my own. Lets people fish and minimizes handling impacts.

Edited by FleaFlickr02 (11/28/18 03:36 PM)

#997590 - 11/28/18 04:49 PM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: fishbadger]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: fishbadger
Nice analysis Larry B.

I have mixed feelings about this fishery. On the one hand it gives me a reason to run the boat around a bit in the winter, and it gives south sound boaters a fishery in an otherwise bleak time of year (all the nearby river closures). On the other hand should I actually catch legal size fish I'm not going to eat them, and we do kill a disproportionate number of juvenile fish sorting around on them.

So there, I have no strong feelings one way or the other, hows that for a lame post?

fb

Glad that you are out there on the water! And, yes, thanks for bringing the lack of river opportunities into the equation.

#997591 - 11/28/18 05:00 PM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Sorry, Larry. I'll claim the "make smaller ones legal" idea as my own. Lets people fish and minimizes handling impacts.

In addition to ownership of that idea which concerned me it was also the part about keeping the first two fish caught which:

1. Did not have any sizes tied to it, and
2. Ignored the issue of unclipped fish

Beyond those observations I tend to lean toward lowering the minimum size limit for retention of winter blackmouth because:

1. There is the perception that pinnipeds are targeting those fish reducing the numbers reaching the current minimum of 22 inches.

2. They are hatchery fish intended for harvest regardless of size.

#997626 - 11/29/18 06:38 AM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
If you increase the retention rate you will decrease the fishery because of allocation. It won't be 1:1 because of adult equivalency. Back in the mid 70s there was no minimum size on salmon in marine waters and that was changed because of allocation issues.

#997631 - 11/29/18 07:42 AM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
If you increase the retention rate you will decrease the fishery because of allocation. It won't be 1:1 because of adult equivalency. Back in the mid 70s there was no minimum size on salmon in marine waters and that was changed because of allocation issues.

You just had to remind us of that pesky allocation issue. And before coffee......

#997634 - 11/29/18 07:55 AM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Carcassman]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman

I don't doubt this to be true, but I must say, given what we know about how poorly salmon survive fishing encounters in the salt, that it seems a bit misguided, to say the least. Killing more fish to harvest a target component is poor management of dwindling stocks. Selective fishing works much better in terminal areas, because unintended catches tend to survive at a much better rate. Additionally, in terminal areas, the fish are all as big as they're going to get, meaning far fewer encounters with undersize fish.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why so many fish caught in the ocean are undersize. If catching undersize fish is not what we want to do, we ought not fish where the majority of the fish fall into that category.

#997639 - 11/29/18 08:21 AM Re: MA11 Sportsfishing question [Re: Carcassman]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1006 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645354 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |