LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#997865 - 12/01/18 07:51 PM Dick Nite under a float.
Birdsnest Offline
Smolt

Loc: Coupeville
I was wondering how you rig a Dick Nite for different water conditions? I’ve got a ton of them in size 0. Do you think these could be drifted under a float like a marabou jig? Has anyone ever float fished a Dick Nite before? I’m headed to the Russian river here in California and haven’t steelhead fished since I lived in Washington years ago. I just thought I’d ask because I have no idea how I used to rig these and thought up this crazy idea of float fishing them. Can anyone who fished the Russian river give me some pointers on gear for the rive? I used to float fish marabou jigs on the Cascade river and side drift yarn there also. I don’t remember fishing the Dick Nites but I know they were popular, especially the tiny ones. Wanted to show up to the Russian with a variety of options.

#997873 - 12/02/18 09:32 AM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: Birdsnest]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Not sure they would work under a float in the traditional Float set up. You could bobber dog them. A good friend of mine has told me they can be very effective drift fishing them as well, especially on silvers.

They really need to have some current or water flow over them in order to impart their action. Hanging under a float would not really allow that I don't believe.

That's my very limited 2 cents, perhaps some of the more experienced guys can elaborate...

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#997877 - 12/02/18 10:14 AM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: Birdsnest]
the_chemist Offline
Parr

Google BC Colorado blade setup. It's very popular north of the border to use Colorado blades (spinners) under a float. They let them free float and "flutter" or hold them back to get more action. Never tried it but people like it. I'm sure Dick Nites would also work.

Edited by the_chemist (12/02/18 10:14 AM)

#997891 - 12/02/18 04:41 PM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: Birdsnest]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
Here's what I know: 1) I've never fished the Russian River and have no idea how big it is, 2) I've spent countless hours fishing Dick Nites in WA state for salmon and have caught probably well over 2000 fish, maybe 3000+, if I include humpies, 3) the size 0 or "wee" is the smallest, but that small hook can land big salmon, 4) like all sizes of Dick Nites, you should offset the point from the flat plane of the hook to increase the gap and you will hook more fish.

Here's what I suggest: If the river is crystal clear and you are fishing from a boat, use the wee with the hook offset on a 6-9' leader. Use a sliding dropper, probably 16-20", for your weight, probably 1/4 - 1 oz. depending on river size and flow. Change your lure color frequently. The first cast with a new color can be money.

I seem to remember reading an article some time ago about fishing spoons hanging below a float. The article made it sound like the second coming, but I've never tried it. Good luck!

#997902 - 12/03/18 12:02 AM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: large edward]
Birdsnest Offline
Smolt

I’ve never fished the Russian either. My buddy says he won’t fish there unless it’s above 300 Cfs, don’t know if you can glean any info from that... Why do you use the sliding dropper with such a long leader? I pictured casting them with an egg sinker on the mainline with a 6-9’ leader attached by a single swivel. Is the sliding dropper just to save the spoon and loose the lead in case of snags? I really appreciate the pointers.

#997906 - 12/03/18 07:48 AM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: Birdsnest]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Should work. As the_chemist says, folks in BC swear by the Colorado blade under a float. Seems to me a Dick Nite, being so light, might be even better at "fluttering" naturally in the current. The Colorado blades would have the advantage of sinking better, but you could use an in-line sinker, tied to a 2-3 foot leader, to get you down in the zone more quickly.

Let us know how it works!

#997913 - 12/03/18 08:33 AM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: Birdsnest]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Birdsnest
I’ve never fished the Russian either. My buddy says he won’t fish there unless it’s above 300 Cfs, don’t know if you can glean any info from that... Why do you use the sliding dropper with such a long leader? I pictured casting them with an egg sinker on the mainline with a 6-9’ leader attached by a single swivel. Is the sliding dropper just to save the spoon and loose the lead in case of snags? I really appreciate the pointers.

I looked on line and the avg flow on the Russian is about 2200cfs. If it's anywhere near 300cfs, I doubt there would be enough current to really drift anything with some sort of weight attached unless you are using a float.

I use a sliding dropper to better feel the bite. A dropper also helps your spoon work up in the water column a bit and not get hung on the bottom. Good luck!

#998006 - 12/04/18 12:23 PM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: Birdsnest]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Hmmm.

Know thy enemy.

From what I've read, the steelhead in the Russian are winter run steelhead. As we all know, generally speaking, winter run fish tend to be less active and less likely to chase down baits/lure then a summer run fish, due to the colder water temps of the river. This means you, generally speaking, need to present offerings "right in their face" most of the time, as these winter runs will sulk/hide in the deeper/darker parts of the river.

If you've ever watched youtube videos of anglers swinging for steelhead on glorious fall days, on pristine long shallow, cobbly, runs, forget about it. You're not fishing on the Skeena for summer run steelhead.

With that in mind, I'd personally stick with more traditional methods of catching steelhead from the bank, as you didn't mention a boat. Jigs under a float. If bait is allowed, tip the jig with a small piece of cured prawn. Or, if bait is allowed, run a small piece of prawn, or cured eggs under a float, with our without a bait weight above the bait.

I'm not a bead guy, but bobberdogging beads is a very successful method of hooking steelhead, and your call if you want to use a center pin (trendy) or a traditional bait caster.

There is always the traditional applicaiton of swinging spinners or spoons, if the runs and water are optimal. You basically will need to almost bonk that fish on the nose with a spinner/spoon, but fun when you can get them to bite. Or, if you can get upstream of a pool, you can "double stack" spoons, let them out below you and "hold" them in place as they flutter in the pool. It's basically plunking for yuppies. The purist in me says that if you're not actively swinging a spoon or spinner, it's not different than plunking. It does work, though.

There is alwasy the old-school, drift fishing techniques. 2-4' leaders, with most around 3' or so. Some form of corky and yarn, or rubber egg, birdie drifter, oakie, pink worm, etc.

Lastly, from what I have seen and heard from there, is the good old fashioned Cowlitz Barrier Damn and Blue Creek method of fishing. Use a leader longer than 6', put anything really with a hook on the end of the line, and floss the fish. 10' leaders are preferred and be sure to let EVERYONE know how awesome of a fisherman you are after you floss your fish. From what I've seen of the salmon fishery, the Russian seems to be a flossery fishery.

I'm sure someone will chime in and attempt to chew my ass and state otherwise, but there are sure an awful lot of videos of the Russian up on Youtube that state otherwise. I know a flossery when I see one from a million miles away.

Start with a jig under a float. If you can't get a steelhead to bite that, well, might be a long season. I'd pass on the DickNite for Steelhead. Instead, use that for the coho/kings in the the fall. Just remember (generally speaking of course) - a DickNite hooked in the corner of the mouth was flossed. A DickNite hooked in the tip of the nose...legit bite. Like Large Edward, I have caught many a salmon on a #1 50/50 Dick Nite. Very fun technique to use when the fish are snappy. Just don't think I'd run one under a float.

#998117 - 12/05/18 01:56 PM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: The Moderator]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: elparquito
Just remember (generally speaking of course) - a DickNite hooked in the corner of the mouth was flossed. A DickNite hooked in the tip of the nose...legit bite. Like Large Edward, I have caught many a salmon on a #1 50/50 Dick Nite. Very fun technique to use when the fish are snappy. Just don't think I'd run one under a float.

Sorry elparquito, I have to disagree as I've hooked many fish in the corner of the mouth when my DN was straight down river from my boat at the end of my drift. They ARE allowed to grab the lure and turn their head before they come up tight. Do you consider that flossing too?

#998121 - 12/05/18 02:33 PM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: Birdsnest]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...

#998190 - 12/06/18 07:44 AM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: Birdsnest]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
Here are a couple of really nice videos about this technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRNLKxLxG4

Details about set up and how to fish it start at about the 5 minute mark.

This is a thorough breakdown of the gear used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKut56wHhFM

Details about the spoons used start at about 6.30 mark.

Basically, you would fish the DN the same way as shown in the video (I tend to add a split shot pattern to help get things down a little easier). I have used this technique and have done pretty well for coho and chum. smile

Oh yeah, I forgot, this technique totally doesn't work!

#998192 - 12/06/18 08:01 AM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: Birdsnest]
the_chemist Offline
Parr

Ah yes poaching with rod. His site allows poacher bashing, except poachers that work for site sponsors.... AKA Brody Mansell / Freds custom tackle for the north of the boarder guys.

#998300 - 12/07/18 09:36 AM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: the_chemist]
vapidangler
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: the_chemist
Ah yes poaching with rod. His site allows poacher bashing, except poachers that work for site sponsors.... AKA Brody Mansell / Freds custom tackle for the north of the boarder guys.

Evidently no one cares if you like "Fishing With Rod". That show really just highlights the chick mostly. I find the show,and her,entertaining. I can't seem to find anything saying Brody Mansell or Fred's has been charged with poaching. Other than you.

#998305 - 12/07/18 10:02 AM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: Birdsnest]
the_chemist Offline
Parr

Have you tried google vapid?
I find it a little sleazy that freds employs a convicted poacher and that they've tried to astroturf any conversations on that. If no one else cares, that's their prerogative.

The guy got caught twice in a year going after endangered steelhead in a closed system.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/ind...-offence.63729/

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?128651-thoughts-on-the-new-cabelas/page3

Type his name in. The charges pop up.

#998309 - 12/07/18 10:26 AM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: the_chemist]
vapidangler
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: the_chemist

Cute link. The last link you had is the only one of value,the other 2 are simply people talking about it on some message board thread,same as here. I typed it in. Ok great. You've spoken. Let the guy have his Dick Nite thread back. Vapidangler out.

#998313 - 12/07/18 10:39 AM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: ]
the_chemist Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: vapidangler

Let the guy have his Dick Nite thread back. Vapidangler out.

Sounds good.

Anyone have experience with a colorado blade setup?

the couple times I've seen it used, guys had their main lead 5-6' below the float. Do guys just run a bobstop through their guides or do a centerpin style cast?

#998349 - 12/07/18 06:22 PM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: The Moderator]
Birdsnest Offline
Smolt

California changed the law this year, no leaders longer than 6’. I’m glad because people just don’t know how to fish for salmon around here. This forces people to target the fish. My home river is the American river and people aren’t running long leaders as of the new law.

#998355 - 12/07/18 09:10 PM Re: Dick Nite under a float. [Re: Birdsnest]
vapidangler
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Birdsnest
California changed the law this year, no leaders longer than 6’. I’m glad because people just don’t know how to fish for salmon around here. This forces people to target the fish. My home river is the American river and people aren’t running long leaders as of the new law.

The American ,Feather,and Mad rivers have been a real issue with flossers and I am glad the law was changed. On the Mad ,I have had people there who were amazed that steelhead would hit corkies or roe. Fish bite,they do.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 948 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |