Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28933 - 08/23/06 03:51 AM PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

First a shout out to Flyfishy who caught a monstrous fish Tuesday, and Krijak who on Monday night pops out of the bushes along the bank like a demented deer and says "Vince, is that you?"

Evidently my disguise isn't working.

So, I figured last Tuesday to be one of the biggest days of small water, big king fishing, ever. One week later another massive pulse of fish could be found downstream. Possibly as many fish came in today as last week, but without a doubt this weeks fish were freakishly huge. Crowds were also fantastically light compared to the weekend. Probably a function of the one fish limit. Check your tide tables prior to fishing tidewater. The fishing is unbelievably good. That can change overnite, no guarantees.

My 'pulling-it-out-of-my-butt' guess is about 75-80% of the run is in river. Another 2,500-3,000 fish still to come over the next 2 weeks. Anybody looking to do some sight seeing and picture taking would do well to walk the accessible parts of Purdy Creek. Try the dirt road just West of where it dumps into the Skok. Walk the road for about 50 yards and a small bridge crosses over it. Watch as hundreds of fish pass under you in the late evening.

Also rumors were heard that WDFW officers would be fishing undercover in the tidewaters along Hunters Farm looking for people taking extra fish. Evidently some people have complained that campers on the farm have been going back for second and third helpings of chinook. It turns into a makeshift homeless encampment on the weekends. I just wonder how those destitute, dirty white t-shirt wearing, apple peeling with the one good front tooth, allergic to soap kinda people, can afford so much damm beer.

Poor Bill Hunter Sr. He seems like a very nice guy. I hate to be the one to tell him that some of his paid keyholding overnite campers are having unlawful relations with his cows.

Tight lines to you all,

VHAWK

#28934 - 08/23/06 02:11 PM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Vince, I was fishing the saltwater near Union yesterday. Just as the tide changed to the flood, we could see groups of fish headed upriver just splashing around as they made thier' way along the ribbons in the delta. Very cool sight to see.
An eagle got a smaller fish, but had to drag it up the bank to get a running start to get airborne.

For sure, there was a good push of fish yesterday. We ended up rleasing a twenty something bronze buck, the only fish hooked in trolling for almost eight hours.

beer

#28935 - 08/23/06 09:00 PM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Why is the Hood so dang slow with all these fish moving through?

#28936 - 08/24/06 12:47 AM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
fllyfishy Offline
Fry

Loc: Puyallup
Vince, were the fish still moving up over the log? It was just awsome to stand back with teh x-ray vision and see all those fish. I showed a few guys where to look, and they almost passed out from the sight. I think they were pretty new to the river salmon game. I may make a trip or two back down next week, then I will have my fix for a year and can get down to chasing silvers and steelies.

#28937 - 08/24/06 09:49 AM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Amazing how many guys are not wearing the polarized glasses. I see guys step in front of me and nearly on top of the fish along the bank because they don't feel they need polarized lenses.

Fish were moving over the log, fish were moving in the shallows, fish were swimming up my urine stream. Right now I have a salmon lodged in my urethra.

#28938 - 08/24/06 10:41 AM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
A buddy of mine flew over the canal the other day. At the mouth of the side channel the seals had the salmon balled up like herring. He said they were jumping all over, the seals were dragging them up on the beach.

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#28939 - 08/24/06 09:09 PM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Ok I couldn't help it. I probably broke a couple of promises but geez why take pics if nobody ever sees them?

If anybody see's these two degenerates keep a safe distance. Or you better be bring them beer.

Aren't those some brilliant red fillets? Tasty. Masters of the Waters, SuperFly and FishHead5.

Joe I still have the CD with a bunch of your pics on it. Remind me to bring it.

Here's one of my coworker friends and her first king. She had 30 yards on the reel, and got down to the knot twice before Jessie figured out why she was pointing the rod right at the fish. Hooked in the hinge this fish was destined for the BBQ.

CHROME, BABY! JUST CHROME!

Here is some punk breaking the rule about not taking pics after the fish has sat on ice for a couple hours. Also breaking the rule about getting some light on the fish, also breaking the rule about not growing a double chin.

Although it seems to be bad luck, I'm heading out after work in the morning with the bugrod. Keep an eye out for me. Say Hi, or give me the finger, either way I'll be smiling back at ya.

Fishhead5,

Never speak of the side channel....
VHawk

#28940 - 08/24/06 09:20 PM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
hawkfan Offline
Alevin

Loc: puyallup
Today i fished the skok for the first time and saw the funny things that vhawk was writing about.Well it was funny until lines get crossed fifty times and i wished there was a season for snaggers. WTF is going on down there and wheres a game warden when you need one cause that kinda so called fishin is garbage.I was laughing loud when the guys pole broke and i wished his buddy woulda fell in when he leaned down to net the fish. Anyways my friend and i moved down river and hooked into one nice chromy and 3 darkies. Its not a bad river once you find some spots cause there were plenty of fish comin up.Oh yeah first thing i saw was the upside down reel lol

#28941 - 08/24/06 10:12 PM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
bullshooter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: graham wa.
I went down monday night. Tide was in and there was no fishing to be done. I walked down to the bank of the closed waters to watch the spawners splash around. after a couple minutes, a couple of native kids on the other side started ripping away. No big deal, this goes on all the time. Then, a couple minutes later I see three "fishermen" come out of the bush even deeper in the closed waters. I watched for about five more and they must have hooked about 8-10 fish in that amount of time. Most by the tail and all very dark. I had no phone svc. and I am sure the gamies are getting really tired of hearing about all of the B.S.

#28943 - 08/25/06 01:11 AM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
You fool! laugh

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#28944 - 08/25/06 03:35 AM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Stam, Stam, Stam...it was never meant to sound "easy". The fun comes easy, landing hawgs is a different matter. I hope we get a chance to hit it this weekend. Pray for a little rain.

Now a short list of crazy stuff I've seen this season.

1. I talked with Napoleon Dynamite. He had a 4 foot trout rod. I said "Napoleon that rods to small for those fish".

He says "What should I use?"

I say "A frickin' 12-gauge. What do you think?."

He just stares at me.

2. I help Ricky Bobby hook his first salmon. It swims straight away from him, wraps around a branch, does a 180 degree turn, swims right past Ricky Bobby, then spashes around 5 feet behind his back. It busts off. Ricky says "That other fish behind me destracted me, gawddang I almost had'em. Ow man I'll whip em next time." I like Ricky, he knows how to enjoy himself. My only objection is to his oversized Texas Rangers Jersey.

3. An 18 pound king swims right at me in 6 inches of water. Impulsively I fake left, fish goes right, and into the shallower water, I tail a completely bright fresh unhooked king. Someone tells me I violated the regs by fishing for kings with my bare hands. I was a little embarrased because he was right, but deep down I still think it was cool.

4. I watch a spincaster get ripped off the reel seat, smash into the first rod guide, and then CRACK, the 25 pound leader breaks and the sheeeetty little reel falls rightfully into the river. Large king shows his displeasure by tailwalking with spincast boys gear in his backside.

Always more to come

VHawk

#28945 - 08/25/06 04:13 AM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
Addicted Offline
Rico Suave

Loc: Whidbey Island
Sounds like the skok has the samish beat easily. I gotta get me some of this entertainment.

#28947 - 08/25/06 03:33 PM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
Winterun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tac/Puy
Well I gotta scratch that itch, I'm heading down there tomorrow also. Been missing all the fun sounds like. See you all in the morning!!!

#28948 - 08/25/06 07:49 PM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
TBird Offline
Fish Fear Me

Loc: Port Angeles
While I would love to join you guys on this little venture, I've got a nice romantic afternoon planned at the strip clubs in victoria this weekend! Have fun! =)

So easy, a cavegirl could do me

Team FTW

#28949 - 08/26/06 07:02 PM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
down by the cedar tree hole it's like some kind of perverse family reunion. there's an old geezer that nets everybody's fish, a junior flosser with long hair, a hat, and some HUGE ugly polaroids, and this bearded guy who i hear called "rapid robert" who is a real pro snagger. i see these people every day i fish down there.

i think i'm done down there for the kings, it always gets too frustrating to me. i'll be back in november.

#28950 - 08/27/06 01:37 AM Re: PICS/Skok Report Tuesday 8/22, and general musings
Ichtyoid Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
Where's the Ebola virus when you need it?

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 327 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |