LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#986344 - 03/03/18 08:36 AM Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much?
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
A quote from another thread got me thinking:

"Interesting how fish managers are so unwilling to consider the possibility of over-exploitation until the stock is virtually on death's door. "

Now I have not tuna fished, but probably will this year. 2 friends went last year, and each bough very capable boats for the run. They are they types that kill as much as they can...

I often see posts about "what to do with all the fish". Makes me think this bloodbath fishery is possibly being over-exploited. Most I've talked to say "There are so many it doesn't matter." But, they used to say that about the Atlantic tuna too...

So, in my observation, there will be at least 30 new guys out in those 2 boats this season, overall the fishery is growing fast (since others are in decline), and over pressure will eventually occur.

Not an assault on the fishery, looking for education on a fishery I know next to nothing about.

#986347 - 03/03/18 09:14 AM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: ned]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

I’ve wondered the same thing. In a addition to the sport boats, the charters, six pack boats, and commercials kill a ton of fish each year.

#986354 - 03/03/18 11:26 AM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: ned]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: ned

Not an assault on the fishery, looking for education on a fishery I know next to nothing about.

Well then... you're not far behind the guys charged to "manage" the fishery.

As far as I know, there are no regulatory limits imposed on either commercial or rec.... free wealth just there for the taking.

A commercial guy I know says the same thing.... so many it doesn't matter, we can't catch them all.

Famous last words.....

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#986365 - 03/03/18 03:03 PM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: ned]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
I've been on a 6-pack twice for tuna and we "plugged the boat" both times. I wondered the exact same thing you just mentioned...

I've been VERY fortunate to of experienced the end of "the good 'ol days" that the NW HAD to offer in my 47 years. Even for a kid from Eastern Washington my dad was a real gamer. Starting in the late 60's and moving forward up until he died, he pursued everything that swam. Several of the other members here can relate as well.

He drug me around from when I just got out of diapers as his main partner, so I was lucky enough to see and fish The Gray/Naselle in March in late 70's to mid 80's, kings in The Straights in 70's until the first El Nino (saw several 50's each year), Sol Duc and Hoh starting in '82, Westport, Hiking into the Queets mid 80's, Sky-Sno-Snohomish-Green steelhead starting in 81(some awesome BIG summer run years) back when chums were a nuisance, you could crab 10 months a year, Cowlitz, Wenatchee, Methow, yada, yada. Opportunities on top of opportunities.

I'll end with this snippet. Dad and I were drifting down the Hoh one day, getting ready to drop into the Canyon, and I'd just caught another fish that weekend. I thought I was hot chit (13-14yo kid in the front of the boat, not to hard to catch a fish getting the first water). And he reflected a little as we sat on anchor..he said "I've ruined you". I was perplexed, so I quizzed him. He went on to say how he'd exposed me to all these awesome fishing and hunting adventures the NW HAD to offer (he/we were pretty successful outdoorsman) and what was I going to do for fun when was 25yo? I remarked, "well the same thing dad". He said "It'll never be the same kid, It's already going downhill too fast", and that was 30+ years ago. I still fish, but don't travel near as much as I did in my 30's. But I've got great memories, and I can say I saw some real cool chit!!! Unfortunately, I feel my dad was right.

#986389 - 03/04/18 08:28 PM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: ned]
kingdog Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater
A good bait stop will change your life. Our boat limit is 30 due to ice and I have to admit it's tough to leave them boiling.

#986390 - 03/04/18 11:00 PM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: kingdog]
vapidangler
Unregistered

We always limit the boat to around 8 fish a piece because I don't know about you,but carking those things after a hard days run is a complete PITA. Plus ice,fish hold space,and just being greedy,I love eating albacore. I have seen deck loaded boats with fish all laying around and I go what a bunch of tools. And I agree a wide open albie bite is insane.

#986391 - 03/05/18 06:20 AM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: ned]
cohobankie Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Most wise capt's will only take what can be iced. If you don't the meat is crap.

Last year we didn't get out. The tuna were too far out and I suspect that could be the same for a few more years.

Cycles change. The blob might have got them as well.

From what I read our North pacific tuna are roughly 5-7 year olds. Maybe we are seeing the results that have plagued our salmon the last couple years.

#986403 - 03/05/18 12:43 PM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: ned]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Albacore tuna are pelagic, highly migratory and subject to extensive commercial fishing around the Pacific. What we recreational fishers harvest in the PNW is a pittance to overall harvest. That said, wastage is never a good thing.

When Oregon went through the process of establishing a 25 fish limit there was some "monkey see, monkey do" here in WA. As a result then Director Phil Anderson hosted a meeting to discuss a possible limit here. Some of the points I took away from that meeting were as follows:

1. PNW recreational fishers fishers take very few albacore compared to all commercial harvest.

2. If the then upcoming stock assessments were to show a decrease in albacore tuna abundance such that harvest needs to be constrained it needs to be focused primarily on the commercial side (given the small % taken by recs).

3. There are relatively few days that tuna are in our waters and of those days many are lost due to weather.

4. Recreational boats and six pack charters are small and self-limiting due to both weight constraints and icing capacity.

5. Boats for hire (six packs and larger salmon type operations) must have a limited entry license to take paid guests fishing to include for albacore.

6. Limitations set forth above effectively preclude large party boats with corresponding icing and bait capacity from entering the PNW fishery. Just not economically feasible.

7. Due to the costs of participating in this fishery (both private rec boats and aboard a charter) fishermen commonly make limited trips and want to maximize harvest when they get into fish.

8. Fear that a "feel good" limit once established would be subject to further such meddling rather than be based upon sound data and scientific assessments.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#986409 - 03/05/18 04:58 PM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: ned]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Thanks for sharing that. Don't want that fishery shut down before I can even get in the game!

#986423 - 03/06/18 07:46 AM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: ned]
cohobankie Offline
Juvenile at Sea

25 per person? or per boat? 25 would be plenty per person and most rec boats can't ice down more than 40 or 50 which would be 10 per person with 5 guys. That should last a while.

#986424 - 03/06/18 08:08 AM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: ned]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
I believe Oregon's is 25 per person which is why it was perceived as being pretty much meaningless as most boats can't handle that amount of fish; three fishers would be 75 fish. Even at a mere 20#/fish that would be 1,500# of fish the ice. Overload!!

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#986715 - 03/14/18 11:49 AM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: ned]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
My testimony before the WDFW Commission was and still stands at sportfishers are only able to go out on limited days. There should only be the personal limit of ice to guide the catch.

Go home message "Take what you need, eat what you take."

#986717 - 03/14/18 11:58 AM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: slabhunter]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Take what you'll eat has, eventually, been my guideline. Used to be, the limit was the target; had to get to it regardless. Now, I will pretty much take what I want to eat.

I have stopped duck and goose shooting when I have a bird or two to take home as that is what I know we will use. On the other hand, I could be really happy with four or five deer as they go a long way in a lot of useful formats.

Back to albacore. I want to fish for them, sometime. Mostly to see the birds out there but also to catch "some". Have eaten some fresh and really don't like them that way. Smoked, on the other hand, is wonderful. But do I need to to smoke up (or pay for) 25 of them?

This where setting limits on such fisheries gets difficult. I have a friend who regularly slays albies. She has almost all of it smoked and uses a lot as business gifts. She really enjoys the fishing and makes good use of all the fish. That makes sense to me.

But we have to ensure that today's fishery does not reduce tomorrow's.

#986718 - 03/14/18 12:00 PM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: ned]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
Better limiting and regulating their forage and food would be a much more logical starting point.

#986724 - 03/14/18 03:18 PM Re: Offshore Tuna exploitation--Too much? [Re: ned]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

I've only done it a handful of times and have never "plugged the boat." I think our best day was 18 or 19. Even split between 4 people, that's a lot of fish. If I have 5 or 6 for the year it's plenty. I can a lot, make poke, make sushi, sear it, etc. It's good stuff!

I've really started to self regulate with salmon and steelhead. I find I never end up eating winter steelhead if they get frozen, so I rarely keep any. I keep less and less salmon each year, as it doesn't seem to get eaten fast enough.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |