LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1000668 - 01/09/19 02:15 PM Lake Powell?
RogueFanatic Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap Co.
I am planning renting a big houseboat and bringing my 19' Jetcraft along to tow behind it for fishing. Any of you folks ever fished Lake Powell? I'll be heading down at the middle to end of May hopefully before it gets too damn hot. Bullfrog Marina probably. I know they have lots of stripers, walleye, and other piscavores but that's about it.

#1000680 - 01/09/19 03:45 PM Re: Lake Powell? [Re: RogueFanatic]
vapidangler
Unregistered

I've always wanted to fish that place. Sounds awesome.

#1000681 - 01/09/19 03:58 PM Re: Lake Powell? [Re: RogueFanatic]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Haven't fished there myself but have a buddy that has.
He caught stripers, smallmouth and catfish while there. That was in early July if I recall correctly.
He said it was pretty fun watching stripers push shad to the surface creating baitball boils.
I believe he got some stripers on flies as well.
That's all I got. Sounds like a fun trip.
Good luck,
SF

Edited by stonefish (01/09/19 03:59 PM)

#1000912 - 01/12/19 01:29 PM Re: Lake Powell? [Re: RogueFanatic]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
A large group of friends fished Lake Powell out of Bull Frog in the last century. I think it was in May. Some recommendations based on my memories....

You have a departure time, in the afternoon, from the marina. The houseboats aren't very fast and you won't get too far before you need to moor up along the shore somewhere.

Winds can be heavy down the canyon and it is best to be off the main channel. There are lots of side channels/pockets to choose from IF they aren't already occupied.

Water level will be a consideration. The marina folks can provide advice. Make sure you understand how to place your shore anchors.

Lots of places to fish. We caught stripers and walleye. Didn't try for catfish or smallmouth. Caught enough fish for a fish fry one evening. Mostly fished the side canyons around our moorage site.

A small boat can get you quite a ways up the side canyons. We had my 14' Smoker Craft for side trips. It was also the transport vessel for our extra fuel cans. We had 2 other boats for folks to use.

Take plenty of extra fuel for your chase boat. No gas stations available unless you run back up to Bull Frog. The house boat should have enough fuel to get you out and back. Might want to check on fuel prices at Bull Frog. Probably cheaper to fill up your extra fuel cans before you get there.

There was a morning check-in time (10 a.m. sticks in my mind so they can clean and prep the houseboat for the next user) on the day we left. We ran back up to Bull Frog and moored across the bay from the marina so it was a short run.

It's pretty country. The bath tub ring around the reservoir is still, I think, pretty high. That reservoir can hold a lot of water.

#1000913 - 01/12/19 01:33 PM Re: Lake Powell? [Re: RogueFanatic]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Here's a good website to track water depths. Looks like the lake is maybe 120' +/- below full capacity.

http://lakepowell.water-data.com/

Might be some charts/Fish 'n Map for the reservoir that would be handy to have.

#1000926 - 01/12/19 07:15 PM Re: Lake Powell? [Re: RogueFanatic]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Zebra mussels in Lake Powell? If you take your own boat what are your decontamination requirements prior to heading home?

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1000986 - 01/14/19 12:36 PM Re: Lake Powell? [Re: RogueFanatic]
RogueFanatic Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap Co.
Good info, thanks fellas. There are definitely Z-mussels to worry about but it appears that there are many mandatory cleaning areas to prevent spread. Planning on bringing a number of extra boats, fishing `yaks etc. so jerry cans will certainly make the trip. Fish are going to be on the menu for sure.

#1000995 - 01/14/19 01:37 PM Re: Lake Powell? [Re: RogueFanatic]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

You've probably already done so but, if not, do a Google search on

striper fishing lake powell

Lots of youtube and other links to look at. Suspect you'll find similar info on other species that are found in the lake.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |