LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1010906 - 06/23/19 11:08 AM Is inland Commercial fishing a Livelihood?
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
I've heard a lot of talk lately about NT Commercial inland fishing, like in Puget Sound and the Columbia River. I was actually at a Commission meeting where there were guys giving testimony that any reductions in commercial fishing was going to be the ruin of many commercial fishermen because they depend on it as a livelihood.

I'm just curious if anyone has any idea how many Commercial Fishermen actually use fishing as a main source of income? It seems to me that it would be a pretty speculative career given the current state of the fisheries. Sort of like being a buggy whip manufacturer after the invention of the automobile.

Just curious....

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1010907 - 06/23/19 11:29 AM Re: Is inland Commercial fishing a Livelihood? [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Why does a commercial fisherman in PS, or the Columbia, have to "make their livelihood" there? It can very we'll be part of the whole. AK, Fraser sockeye, PS all added together may add up to a full livelihood.

Even if we go back to when school teachers fished in the summer why is somehow wrong for them to fish to add to a year's earnings?

Lots of guides, both fishing and hunting, work in multiple states. It may take all those areas to make a single living.

#1010916 - 06/23/19 01:25 PM Re: Is inland Commercial fishing a Livelihood? [Re: Carcassman]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Why does a commercial fisherman in PS, or the Columbia, have to "make their livelihood" there? It can very we'll be part of the whole. AK, Fraser sockeye, PS all added together may add up to a full livelihood.

Even if we go back to when school teachers fished in the summer why is somehow wrong for them to fish to add to a year's earnings?

Lots of guides, both fishing and hunting, work in multiple states. It may take all those areas to make a single living.

Whoa! No ones saying they are doing anything wrong! I was just curious if most commercial guys do it as a primary means of income.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1010919 - 06/23/19 04:19 PM Re: Is inland Commercial fishing a Livelihood? [Re: Bay wolf]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Few commercials earn their living fishing in WA. I know of a couple but they also fish AK. Actual income for a commercial is not known as that is between them and the IRS. The bulk number is known but that is all. Now a days is much different then the past and frankly after Boldt the effort moved North. They just get our fish there now.

#1010920 - 06/23/19 04:43 PM Re: Is inland Commercial fishing a Livelihood? [Re: Bay wolf]
River Nutrients

I was probably splitting hairs in the my answer. I doubt that few in PS could make commercial salmon fishing in PS as the main source of income. It is a piece. It's almost like the Farmworkers who travel from crop to crop. While picking apples (for example) does not make their living, cumulatively with all the other commodities it does.

And, post-Boldt having lots fewer fish and now having even fewer due to (all of the above) it is probably a difficult way to earn a living.

One PS gill netter I knew also fished the Big C and many of the other fisheries in PS like flatfish. A little here, a little there.

#1010931 - 06/24/19 07:27 AM Re: Is inland Commercial fishing a Livelihood? [Re: Bay wolf]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
Interesting subject. More than twenty years ago when I was in Fisheries Patrol, and monitoring Fish Receiving tickets (required to be filled out on sales/landings) I wondered about the taxes paid by fishermen to the state for B&O taxes. There was confusion about fresh fish being landed in Washington from outside the state, especially Alaska that weren't being taxed Complex issue. But that is another story. What I came across with the help of investigators from our Department of Revenue was that lots of our state's commercial fisherman's reported income on their B&O didn't matchup with their landings records. Under reporting of income was fairly common. (Got an award for that one)

#1010934 - 06/24/19 08:10 AM Re: Is inland Commercial fishing a Livelihood? [Re: Bay wolf]
BassMaster2000 Offline
Alevin

I doubt many NT fishermen exist whose sole income is only from salmon fishing in WA if they don't already have another source of income. The "working class" commercials use fishing in WA as one of many ways to supplement their household income, but it's still income and still important.

However, when the discussions about the worthiness or value of their fishing-derived incomes come up, those who state that their income is some measly amount of money are unknowingly doing pro bono PR work for big oil, big coal, and developers. Do you have an income from natural resources? If so, it's a lot harder for someone else to do something that may affect your income than if no one would could be affected; e.g. petroleum products spills and the billions in cash payouts and settlements stemming from Exxon Valdez and Deepwater Horizon spills.

Is it really any surprise that big oil with stakes in the Gulf of Mexico played a big part in helping form CCA with millions of dollars in early contribution? Get rid of the incomes off of the resource you affect (i.e. gulf commercials) and it becomes a whole lot easier to drill, spill, ship, and generally ruin the environment as needed. Instead of trying to limit the other guys, doesn't it ever occur to you that we're all much more powerful together?

- Me

#1010935 - 06/24/19 08:20 AM Re: Is inland Commercial fishing a Livelihood? [Re: Bay wolf]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I strongly doubt any PS or CR commercial fisherman makes their entire living from fishing in either one of those locations. I knew a PS purse seiner who made a good living seining in SE AK (mostly pink salmon) in the summer and in PS (mostly chum) in the fall. This was in the 70s and 80s. The PS part no longer adds up to 1/2 of a "living wage." I met a CR gillnetter who also fished Bristol Bay AK and made a good living between the two, with the CR part being more of a "hobby" fishery, since he made good money in AK.

The only way a fisherman makes their entire living in WA is by fishing multiple areas and species - salmon, bottomfish, rockfish, crab, shrimp, etc.

These days, with almost all WA wild Chinook being ESA listed, there is no viable commercial Chinook fishing (for non-treaty) absent the presence of hatchery Chinook. Since hatchery Chinook are produced with funding mainly from three sources - mitigation, Mitchell Act, and WA state GF - it's become my contention that WA taxpayers are being fleeced to produce hatchery Chinook that mainly contribute to Canadian harvest, treaty harvest, and non-treaty harvest, and a paltry few to WA recreational harvest. Why are we throwing money down this rat hole to subsidize fisheries that we get next to nothing out of? But I digress . . .

#1010952 - 06/24/19 12:49 PM Re: Is inland Commercial fishing a Livelihood? [Re: Bay wolf]
River Nutrients

I agree with Salmo that the recs, through their licenses, are throwing good money down a rathole. Mitchell Act is for mitigation and since it is US finds, feeding AK could be seen as part of that. Sort of the same with PUD mitigation in that the money is to mitigate lost catch and Canada and AK were catching them.

I also think that, while the recs are being screwed by paying of AK, BC, Treaty catch that the rest of the State, and Leg, sees that in a more positive light. "We the fishermen" and "we the citizens of WA" are probably two different entities with two different agendas.

#1010954 - 06/24/19 01:50 PM Re: Is inland Commercial fishing a Livelihood? [Re: Bay wolf]
steelhead59 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
A friend of mine is a NT tribal commercial fishermen, he is currently the largest gill net permit holder in the state of Washington. He can no longer make a yearly living with the seasons and days given to him to fish, even if he fishes (lease) every permit he has on a boat. He has sold many of his personal boats to the tribes and those boats are still fishing. He also holds a AK Bristol Bay and is currently fishing right now.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |