Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1017001 - 11/13/19 05:26 PM Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
New post to not include in Chehalis Postings

Effective date: Nov. 16, 2019, until further notice.

Species affected: Salmon.

Locations:

• Marine Area 2-2 (Grays Harbor)
• Black River (Grays Harbor/Thurston Co.), from mouth to bridge on 128th Ave. SW.
• Chehalis River (Grays Harbor Co.), from mouth (Hwy. 101 Bridge in Aberdeen) to the high bridge on Weyerhaeuser 1000 line.
• Copalis River (Grays Harbor Co.), from mouth to Carlisle Bridge.
• Elk River (Grays Harbor Co.), from mouth (Hwy. 105 Bridge) to the confluence of Middle Branch.
• Hoh River (Jefferson Co.), from Olympic National Park boundary upstream to Morgans Crossing boat launch.
• Hoquiam River, including West Fork (Grays Harbor Co.), from mouth (Hwy. 101 Bridge on Simpson Ave) to Dekay Rd. Bridge (West Fork).
• Hoquiam River, East Fork (Grays Harbor Co.), from mouth to confluence of Berryman Creek.
• Johns River (Grays Harbor Co.), from mouth (Hwy. 105 Bridge) to Ballon Creek.
• Moclips River (Grays Harbor Co.), from mouth to Quinault Indian Reservation boundary.
• Newaukum River, including South Fork (Lewis Co.), from mouth to Leonard Rd. near Onalaska.
• Quinault River, Upper (Clallam Co.), from mouth at upper end of Quinault Lake upstream to Olympic National Park boundary.
• Salmon River (Jefferson Co.) outside Quinault Indian reservation and Olympic National Park.
• Satsop River and East Fork (Grays Harbor Co.), from mouth to bridge at Schafer State Park; and from 400' below Bingham Creek Hatchery to the dam.
• Skookumchuck River (Lewis/Thurston Co.), from mouth to 100 feet below outlet of TransAlta WDFW steelhead rearing pond located at the base of Skookumchuck Dam.
• Wishkah River (Grays Harbor Co.), from mouth to 200' below the weir at the Wishkah Rearing Ponds; and from 150' upstream to 150' downstream of the Wishkah adult adult attraction channel/outfall structure (within the posted fishing boundary).
• Wynoochee River (Grays Harbor Co.), from mouth to WDFW White Bridge access site.

Reason for action: Coho returns to tributaries along the coast from Hoh River south to Grays Harbor appear to be significantly lower than preseason predictions. These conservation measures are being taken to ensure escapement goals are met.

Additional information: Once the adult portion of the salmon daily limit has been retained, anglers may not continue to fish for salmon.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1017003 - 11/13/19 06:38 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
the rule change is bag reduction to one adult coho. Not sure how that got left out.

#1017007 - 11/13/19 08:09 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

My bad:

Tried to keep the posting short....left out the following:

Adult portion of salmon daily limits reduced in coastal freshwater systems from Hoh River south to Grays Harbor basin and Marine area 2-2

Action: Reduces the adult portion of salmon daily limit to no more than 1 adult fish.

#1017011 - 11/14/19 08:06 AM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

Knew something was coming. Glad it's not an outright closure.

Is the change based on assumptions stemming from the poor commercial catch rates, or are there examples (besides the Hump, which we all know never meets wild escapement) where escapement goals are still in reasonable question?

It would be nice to know the reduction in opportunity is legitimately in the interest of conservation (not user group catch distribution).

For my part, I can confidently say this won't change my personal impact much; I usually count myself lucky to get one fish from November on (I'm not as dialed in as some of the other folks around the region, so I have to get lucky once the numbers start to go down).

#1017018 - 11/14/19 12:43 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Poor QIN and NT numbers....As talked about "lot's", rain early this year moved many of the commercial catch fish, right up the river. They didn't stage until they got above the Satsop, then it was bumper boats, lot's of guides but fish were there....hatchery and wild.

Right place, right time, right knowledge....then fishing produced....in bay, Mall area, Cosie area.

Humptulips is a different, management thing.....not really sure what the plan is here....why its not in a Coho reduction is beyond me....I mean wild Coho haven't made escapement numbers in 20+ years.

#1017022 - 11/14/19 01:08 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Hump season stamped out at NOF only allows ONE HATCH ADULT COHO since Oct 1. If another step were to be taken, it would have to be closure.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1017023 - 11/14/19 01:11 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The entire Western WA region was anticipating strong coho returns based on nearshore trawls assessing juvenilke abundance in the spring of 2018... the fish that should have returned en masse this fall. WRONG AGAIN... as we are all seeing, they're MIA.

Researchers “documented one of the highest densities of juvenile salmon off the coast we’d ever seen” in spring 2018, Phillips said. “Lo and behold, we didn’t see the return anticipated” this year when those juveniles were supposed to migrate back to Washington waters as adults in late summer.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1017099 - 11/15/19 05:31 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
No More Ice Fishin Offline
Returning Adult

Doc, what's your take as to why? I've been fishing rain forest rivers (out in those parts) upstream of any hatcheries a few times this fall. Last time - about 10 days ago - I caught four kings, a steelhead, dollies, sea run cutts...but not a coho to be had. And all on coho-focused twitching jigs and spoons...

Edited by No More Ice Fishin (11/15/19 05:32 PM)

#1017100 - 11/15/19 06:06 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
fish4brains Offline

it pretty much hasn't rained for a month.

#1017189 - 11/19/19 12:19 AM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: fish4brains]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: fish4brains
it pretty much hasn't rained for a month.

That's true, but Sunday, and some rain Monday and NOW 11:46 p.m., in Central Park it is pouring "like a cow pissing on a flat rock". Are we going to get the "brown out" that we need????? well I don't know that but I'll take any rain we can get.

Oh, fishing is fun recently....only males get killed this time of the year, in my boat, AND THE MAJORITY OF FISH CAUGHT HAVE BEEN HATCHERY.

Enjoy any time on the water!!!!!!

#1017209 - 11/19/19 10:54 AM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Yes definite spike in passage of NEW hatch coho thru tidewater from multiple sources as well as personal observation.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1017302 - 11/20/19 07:22 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: eyeFISH]
fish4brains Offline

There has been a lot of coho over the last month, most just not finding them in usual spots due to lack of rain

#1017312 - 11/21/19 12:05 AM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: fish4brains]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Chum moving also and unlike Coho these guys are running late.

#1017373 - 11/21/19 05:48 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

no longer just the coast

Southwest Washington tributary coho fisheries modified 

Action:  

Anglers limited to 1 adult coho on lower Cowlitz and lower Kalama Rivers. Release all adult coho on the Lewis River, Cedar Creek (including all tributaries), and Washougal River.

Effective date: Nov. 23, 2019 through Dec. 31, 2019.

Species affected: Coho salmon.

Locations and salmon rules:  

Cowlitz River, from the mouth to the posted markers 400 feet below the Barrier Dam:  Min. size 12”. Daily limit 6. Up to 1 adult may be retained. Release all salmon other than hatchery coho. Kalama River, from the mouth to 1,000 feet below the fishway at the upper salmon hatchery (i.e. Kalama Falls Hatchery):  Min. size 12”. Daily limit 6. Up to 3 adults may be retained of which up to 1 may be an adult coho. Release all salmon other than hatchery Chinook and hatchery coho. Lewis River, from the mouth to the overhead power lines below Merwin Dam:  12” min. size. Daily limit 6. Up to 2 adult Chinook may be retained. Release all salmon other than Chinook and hatchery jack coho. Cedar Creek, from the mouth upstream, including all tributaries:  Min. size 12”. Daily limit 6. Up to 2 adult Chinook may be retained. Release all salmon other than hatchery Chinook and hatchery jack coho. Washougal River, from the mouth to the bridge at Salmon Falls:  Min. size 12”.  Daily limit 6. Up to 1 adult Chinook may be retained. Release all salmon other than hatchery Chinook and hatchery jack coho.

Reason for action: Coho salmon returns to tributary hatcheries in the Lower Columbia Basin have been below levels needed to meet broodstock collection goals for some programs. These programs can utilize coho salmon collected at hatcheries located in the above tributaries when brood shortfalls occur. Modifying coho fisheries on these rivers will provide additional fish for these hatchery programs and help ensure future hatchery returns and fishing opportunities.

#1017374 - 11/21/19 05:56 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

what I dont understand about this and the coast closures is the good escapement numbers. There has been thousands of fish that returned to many hatcheries yet we still get this closure. wdfw is not hiding under the guise of protecting wild fish. how many thousands of fish do you need to have excess to provide for hatcheries not getting their fish. the naselle, willapa, satsop and cowlitz all have more than enough for their own production. they are still releasing cowlitz hatchery fish into upper stretches.. anyone have any clarification? fishing has been great on the chehalis tribs, chehalis proper and cowlitz yet we are hit with another widespread reduction.

Edited by eswan (11/21/19 06:28 PM)

#1017376 - 11/21/19 06:37 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: eswan]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: eswan
what I dont understand about this and the coast closures is the good escapement numbers. There has been thousands of fish that returned to many hatcheries yet we still get this closure. wdfw is not hiding under the guise of protecting wild fish. how many thousands of fish do you need to have excess to provide for hatcheries not getting their fish. the naselle, willapa, satsop and cowlitz all have more than enough for their own production. they are still releasing cowlitz hatchery fish into upper stretches.. anyone have any clarification? fishing has been great on the chehalis tribs, chehalis proper and cowlitz yet we are hit with another widespread closure.

Conditions have been too good in rivers this year. When was the last season you can remember when you had an early rain to push fish.Then dry out and hold them only to have another just enough rain to keep them coming. Lots of fishable days without blowouts and the fish blowing through. The fear is over in river harvest. I am a low
water fisher and love these conditions we'v had. Tactics have to change under these conditions, and Mother Nature seldom gives us this opportunity only to have WDFW shut it down.

Edited by RUNnGUN (11/21/19 06:39 PM)

#1017380 - 11/21/19 07:45 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
The Kalama numbers are what are probably what is driving this closure. But, looking at escapement numbers, it is really unclear what the department is doing. All the Willipa bay hatcheries and Grays Harbor hatcheries appear to have met escapement, but all remain closed or limited on harvest.

Hoodsport is closed to sports fishing but shows a surplus already last week. All the rest of the South Sound is closed to chum retention, but the Squaxins just issued a release that they will be fishing 8 days between now and December 1st.

The Nisqually is closed to sports fishing, but open to tribal 2 days a week through the end of the year.

I emailed them about Minter and they opened it up that but what about Hoodsport? I will wait and see if they do anything, but with perhaps sending them to dog food is more important.

#1017381 - 11/21/19 07:53 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
I think the tribes have the WDFW's nuts in a jar. Just sayin.

#1017563 - 11/25/19 12:26 PM Re: Salmon, major changes on Coast & Chehalis Rivers [Re: DrifterWA]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
The last sentence in the press release is important:

"These programs can utilize coho salmon collected at hatcheries located in the above tributaries when brood shortfalls occur. Modifying coho fisheries on these rivers will provide additional fish for these hatchery programs and help ensure future hatchery returns and fishing opportunities."

In other words, even though these hatcheries may reach their escapement goals, other hatcheries may not. So if WDFW collects coho salmon in excess of the goals in any particular facility, those excess eggs can be used at other hatcheries that don't meet their goals. So by limiting in-river fisheries, WDFW can optimize their take of coho throughout SW Washington (in this case).

Also, the Tribes often view fisheries management thru the lens of "Us vs Them". If they can't put their nets in the water, nobody else should either, regardless of the magnitude of the impacts or the target species. Fishing is fishing. It's either open to everyone, or closed to everyone. They see themselves as a very small Tribe, and all of us "Non-Indian" folks as a competing, and much larger, tribe. I'm not saying whether their view is right or wrong. But it helps to understand how they see the world around them.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |