LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1034774 - 07/19/20 12:13 PM P.S. Chinook Opener Reports?
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Any reports out there? I fished 3 days in area 9 from Mid Channel to Possession and only got 3 keepers in 3 days 10# ave. Lots of smallies and some decent nates released. Never did see many nets fly for the number of boats. Mid-Channel looked dead yesterday under perfect conditions except for the big tide, and unfishable on Fri. because of wind + tide. WDFW checks out of Everett on the opener showed dismal results. Hope more numbers start showing quick. On another note. Did fish checkers get furloughed Fri. w/ a bunch of other WDFW personnel?

#1034825 - 07/20/20 09:34 AM Re: P.S. Chinook Opener Reports? [Re: RUNnGUN]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
It's been slow per the creel counts. 10% catch per angler effort or less. We fished Thurs-Sat and got fish each day so can't really complain but it definately wasn't lights out. We ground it out and were able to pick up 1 here 1 there with a lot of blackmouth around. There are also quite a few jacks out there. We landed 3 jacks on Saturday, and 2 on Friday. Kept one that was 24" and had good eggs so definately migratory fish. Biggest in the 3 days was around 18# so the ones that are around seem to be a nice grade of fish. Gonads fairly immature in most so they may still be on the way.
I want to be a fisherman.

#1034843 - 07/20/20 04:00 PM Re: P.S. Chinook Opener Reports? [Re: RUNnGUN]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
By far, the worst MA9 and 10 opener I and several PS Lifers have ever experienced..and we ended up releasing a big wild king, long lined released another good king and boxed a good size coho.

While I'm sure their may be some out there that are getting lucky in finding some fish, that's not the norm for most.

Was just odd to not see *any* nets flying on the opener.

Besides what was going on in our boat, I think I saw one legit king landed for 300+ boats......Late fish or still coming down the pipe, there at least should have been the usual pile of resident feeder kings and shakers. Nope.

It's worse in MA10. Devoid of all aquatic life, so it seems. Ok, not all that true.

OK fishing if you're after the resident coho. They do seem to be in good numbers and rather large for this time year.

So, you all got that going for you. Resident coho.... Sad.

I am in no hurry to get back out the water until August.

I'm being an optimist and going with the "they are just late" theory, vs the "Their just ain't no fish" reality.

Poor orcas are truly gonna starve now!

#1034847 - 07/20/20 06:00 PM Re: P.S. Chinook Opener Reports? [Re: RUNnGUN]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
As far as coho go, residents are really the only game until we turn the page to August. Usually by the end of the first week or so of August some nicer fish will turn right at the corner.
They are definitely bigger this year. Best year size wise I’ve seen since 2016 before we got benched.

As far as the king action goes, it can’t be due to a lack of sandlance as there are a [Bleeeeep!] ton of them out there right now.
The catch stats look slim but I’ve been seeing some pics of some decent fish.
It will be interesting so see how long the season stretches out....or not.
Damn encounters!
SF

#1034885 - 07/21/20 09:05 AM Re: P.S. Chinook Opener Reports? [Re: RUNnGUN]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

I spent significant time in A7 after it opened on July 1, and I was really surprised/dissappointed by how slow it was following the opener. I was hopeful that the fish had stayed closer to the peninsula and snuck inside but that doesn't seem to be the case right now. Hopefully they are still coming. We saw almost no nets flying up in 7 which was really discouraging. The feeling of the 9/10 opener was much the same as in 7. Tons of boats, not much catching.

Good luck to all.

#1035086 - 07/23/20 06:23 PM Re: P.S. Chinook Opener Reports? [Re: RUNnGUN]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
Kingston Monday: 2 rods x 3 hours = 6 rod hours, ZERO.
PNP Thursday, 2 rods 3.5 hours = 7 hours, 10 pounder.

The July 19 quota counts reflect the same: Area 9: 15% Area 10: 3%.

#1035239 - 07/25/20 08:44 PM Re: P.S. Chinook Opener Reports? [Re: RUNnGUN]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

If fishing is good and the run size is strong, we get a small quota and it gets closed in weeks. If fishing is poor and run size is lacking, we get a good sized quota and fishing lasts months....

Great manamgnet here. Really just spot on.

#1035267 - 07/27/20 07:41 AM Re: P.S. Chinook Opener Reports? [Re: RUNnGUN]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Picked up over the weekend. Got 2 Saturday at Possession, one pushn 20. Saw a good bite going on for once. Looks like some numbers have turned the corner. Good tides this week should see catches go up.

#1035272 - 07/27/20 08:20 AM Re: P.S. Chinook Opener Reports? [Re: RUNnGUN]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Think I got lost.

Fished off the West side of San Juan Island on Saturday after spending the night on a 110’ yacht anchored up in Roche Hatbour. Made the 26” North River we were in look small.

Released a nice wild king and small coho. Only saw one other king released.

Hearing of improved reports out of MA10. Not red hot, but at least those that normally get the kings are starting to find a few.

#1035290 - 07/27/20 11:34 AM Re: P.S. Chinook Opener Reports? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
Picked up some fish in area 11 the last few days. Still pretty slow but it should continue to improve.

#1035302 - 07/27/20 02:06 PM Re: P.S. Chinook Opener Reports? [Re: The Moderator]
Brent K Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Arlington, Washington
I have caught very few adult hatchery clipped chinook on the west side of San Juan, maybe 2. But I fish it mostly in August and September. If the Canadians start clipping their fish I'm sure that would change.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1078 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645298 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |