Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1061181 - 12/08/22 05:57 PM First Bogey Trip information needed
SPCHURCH Offline
Egg

Loc: Silverdale Wa

I got stationed in Bremerton 3 years ago and I am finally headed out to the Bogey next week for my first float on that river, and I am looking for some advice from anyone that has fished it recently

Planning to put in at the Hatchery and take out at Wilsons. First question- how is the ramp at both locations, can an Acura MDX AWD (like a Honda Pilot) make it in and out? I have launched on the Cowlitz at Bluecreek, and the Hump above the hatchery with the Acura so I know it will pull it just don't know how rough the launch on the Bogey is in comparison. I have read numerous posts about which rapid sections to watch out for so I'm fairly confident but will be sure to be super cautious, and in the event I need to I will walk or wait to watch another angler make it through and then follow their line.

Second Question- with the OP closed to using bait and scent, does anyone have any suggestions on tackle? Planning to float jigs, worms, beads (soft and hard), and plugs so any colors I need to make sure are in the tackle box?

Third Question- Anyone planning to be there on Tuesday Dec 13 willing to show me the ropes? My boat is full but just wondered if there will be any other ifish members on the river during the same time.

Thanks in advance for all the information and look forward to sending pics of a successful trip.

#1061194 - 12/09/22 10:45 AM Re: First Bogey Trip information needed [Re: SPCHURCH]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Bogey hatchery and Wilson ramps are both good last time I saw them. You shouldn't have any problems. I have floated the Bogey a number of times and have never seen this "bad spot" that is sometimes mentioned. I guess it isn't that bad. Looks like you have plenty of appropriate tackle.

#1061210 - 12/10/22 08:58 AM Re: First Bogey Trip information needed [Re: SPCHURCH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Haven't floated it in 3 years or so. Ramps should be good; they're both concrete. Only hazard I know about is a big boulder in the Icebox rapid (about a mile below the confluence with the Calawah) that is barely subsurface at low to normal flows, and if you hit it, it's mostly just a hard bump. There was a log just down from the hatchery launch that nabbed a couple boats and unfortunately took a life a few years back, but I imagine that's gone by now.

Beads and jigs should catch the fish well.

#1061211 - 12/10/22 09:42 AM Re: First Bogey Trip information needed [Re: SPCHURCH]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I'll be bank fishing the Bogey and Calawah next week. It's always been a bunny run to float. I'm gearing up to bead, jig and run spinners. There's lots of videos on rigging beads available. I may driftfish or float the beads.

#1061237 - 12/14/22 10:24 AM Re: First Bogey Trip information needed [Re: SPCHURCH]
SPCHURCH Offline
Egg

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Had a good float yesterday. I think it is a little early for the run because of the boats I talked to only 1 had a fish in the box. We hooked into two, 1 got wrapped around the anchor line because I'm an idiot and dropped anchor instead of heading to the bank to land it and the other spit the hook. As far as water clarity it was perfect steelhead green and cold. We used worms, soft beads, and jigs all under a float. Had most of our luck with soft beads since we are still trying out the presentation and rigging of worms. The launch and the Hatchery and Wilsons were both easy to get into and out of and the Road-Runner shuttle was easy to schedule and had my vehicle to the take out by 9 am. We launched at daylight and were off the water right at dark. That is a short run but your able to really pick it apart and take your time.

Reach out if anyone needs anymore information, I will be headed back the first of January so I will report back with updated success. All in all it was a great trip to learn another river in the area.

#1061238 - 12/14/22 01:12 PM Re: First Bogey Trip information needed [Re: SPCHURCH]
eddie Online   content
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Good report.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#1061242 - 12/15/22 09:17 AM Re: First Bogey Trip information needed [Re: eddie]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
The Bogey has changed course since I was last up there 2 years ago. Majority of flow goes around the island and the old main channel on the hatchery side is a ditch with some fish holding below the hatchery creek and more fish in the creek.

Saw several caught Monday and no bites for me. Tuesday it slowed and I fished up by the Calawah ponds only touched a smolt. Back to the Bogey Tuesday evening.

Got to the fast water early Wednesday first and missed hooking one thought I was snagged but saw the fish roll. Finally caught a buck on a float and soft bead half hour later. I only started this method last year. I'm an old school bait drifter but I learned a new method. Checked by the game warden Tuesday and Wednesday. Talked to Tom the fish checker both days. Haven't talked to him in years.

May be another shot of fresh fish if it rains. I used to catch brats from early November to March. I'll be preping and smoking some fish shortly.

Edited by Steelheadman (12/15/22 09:19 AM)

#1061247 - 12/15/22 05:26 PM Re: First Bogey Trip information needed [Re: SPCHURCH]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thanks for reporting. Tom still checking! That's been quite a carreer. I think I first met him in 1990. Must be enough water for the boaters to navigate since the launch is close to the creek mouth? I have'nt seen it in a few years, but the river there has been changing. Interesting? If all the of river water eventually go's the other way could change lots of things from boat navigation to fish access into the hatchery? Thoughts?

Edited by RUNnGUN (12/16/22 07:55 AM)

#1061248 - 12/16/22 09:07 AM Re: First Bogey Trip information needed [Re: SPCHURCH]
Thumbburner Offline
Alevin

At the current water level there’s very little to no water coming down the hatchery side.

All the boats I saw launch on Monday drove thru the hatchery channel up river and launched on the bar above the split. Lots of sand/silt at the bottom of the ramp.

To fish the hatchery channel the water needs to be up a good bit. Saturday's the river was very muddy although the flow on the hatchery side was good that day. Sunday was almost too low.

There were some nice fish around if you know where to look.

Edited by Thumbburner (12/16/22 09:09 AM)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (stonefish, eddie, 20 Gage), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645295 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |