Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1061488 - 02/08/23 10:56 AM RIP Bob Paulsen
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Bob worked for the State of Washington for 30 years; Washington Department of Game, Wildlife and Fish and Wildlife. He started as a fish culturist in the hatchery in Western Washington working in the Olympia office. He was a longtime manager of Aberdeen Hatchery for 24 years. While at Aberdeen, he started on of the first net pens culture operations in Lake Aberdeen using net pens from Norway. He also introduced the first summer run steelhead into the Wynoochee and Humptulips rivers. In addition, he started native enhancement Winter Run Steelhead programs on the Sol Duc, Humptulips, Wynoochee and Satsop rivers.

https://www.thedailyworld.com/obituaries/robert-ronald-paulsen/

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1061489 - 02/08/23 12:27 PM Re: RIP Bob Paulsen [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Thanks, Doc. I passed this on to my circle or (generally former) WDFW employees. I met Bob at Anerdeen in the late 70s.

#1061490 - 02/08/23 12:52 PM Re: RIP Bob Paulsen [Re: eyeFISH]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
One of the best hatchery managers WDG ever had and an avid sportsman. Did so much with so little from Nooch Summerrun to Chinook and had a huge volunteer base right with him.

And this he was one hell of a man in all ways one can think of.

Robert Ronald Paulsen
Robert Ronald Paulsen, age 78, died on Feb. 2, 2023, at his home in Ocean Shores.

Robert Ronald Paulsen, age 78, a longtime resident of Ocean Shores, died on Feb. 2, 2023, at his home in Ocean Shores. He was born on June 15, 1944, in Aberdeen to Clarence M. and Eileen T. (Foulds) Paulsen.

He graduated from Hoquiam High School in 1962. He then served in the U.S. Coast Guard from 1962 – 1966 in Astoria, Oregon aboard the CG Cutter, Yocona and at Coast guard Station Westport as Petty Officer 2nd Class Yeoman.

Robert married Betty Casey of Westport on July 8, 1965, at St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church in Westport. Betty and Bob were best friends for 59 years and enjoyed living, working and playing together all those years. They enjoyed working in their yard at Ocean Shores, traveling, friends and family. They watched many sunrises from their sunroom at their Ocean Shores home.

Bob worked for the State of Washington for 30 years; Washington Department of Game, Wildlife and Fish and Wildlife. He started as a fish culturist in the hatchery in Western Washington working in the Olympia office. He was a longtime manager of Aberdeen Hatchery for 24 years. While at Aberdeen, he started on of the first net pens culture operations in Lake Aberdeen using net pens from Norway. He also introduced the first summer run steelhead into the Wynoochee and Humptulips rivers. In addition, he started native enhancement Winter Run Steelhead programs on the Sol Duc, Humptulips, Wynoochee and Satsop rivers.

During the merger of the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries in 1994, he was instrumental in helping merge the hatchery division. The director stated that Bob was the glue that held the merger together. In 1990, he was awarded the Department of Wildlife employee of the year for his work in the fisheries enhancement and work ethics. He also received many awards for fishery programs from local sportsman organizations.

He retired at age 52 from the State of Washington and went to work as an investment advisor for AIG Valic. He and his wife Betty worked for many years together in their business helping people plan for their retirements. He was the top salesperson in a six-state area for sales one year.

Bob was an extreme outdoor enthusiast. He loved hunting and fishing, having done so in Alaska, B.C., Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Africa and New Zealand. He had hiked most of the trails in Olympic National Park with his father and had run several marathons. He climbed the major peaks in Washington and Oregon and climbed Mt. Denali in Alaska. He enjoyed clam digging, crab fishing and shrimp fishing. He ran a trapline for beaver, otter and bobcat, and his wife Betty has several fur coats he had made for her from some of his catch.

He had been a member of Trout Unlimited, Washington Trappers Association, Aberdeen Lions (Past President), Hoquiam Elks, Ocean Shores Kiwanis and Grays Harbor Bowmen. He was a Washington State University Master Gardener and a member of the Grays Harbor chapter. He enjoyed working and designing their garden home and it was on the garden tour. He loved to grow dahlias.

He was an active member of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in Aberdeen and served as Senior Warden and Junior Warden. He had also received the St. Andrew’s Cross.

Surviving relatives include his wife, Betty (Casey) Paulsen of Ocean Shores; a daughter and her husband, Lorene and Michael Roth of Kuna, Idaho; a grandson and his wife, Andrew Robert and Elizabeth Roth of Poulsbo; a granddaughter and her husband, Casey and Joshua Sindorf of Boise; great-grandchildren, Ashlyn and Brooks Sindorf, both of Boise; a sister and her husband, Peggy and John Tonan of Port Townsend and a brother, Larry Paulsen of Ocean Shores.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, Feb. 10, 2023, at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church with the Rev. Donald Maddux officiating.

Arrangements are by the Coleman Mortuary in Hoquiam.

Please take a few moments of reflection to record your thoughts for the family by signing the on-line register at: www.colemanmortuary.net.

Edited by Rivrguy (02/08/23 12:55 PM)

#1061493 - 02/08/23 02:12 PM Re: RIP Bob Paulsen [Re: eyeFISH]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Thanks Doc -
I met Bob in 1973. He was one of the good guys.

During the early 1970s any trip to the beach to dig clams a stop to see Bob and Betty was a must!

Rip

#1061494 - 02/08/23 09:14 PM Re: RIP Bob Paulsen [Re: eyeFISH]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
What a great guy he was.. Been a friend of mine many many years.

You will be missed,

fp

#1061495 - 02/09/23 12:09 PM Re: RIP Bob Paulsen [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
2/09/2023

RIP, like others on here, I knew Bob for many years.

The Grays Harbor steelhead fishery wouldn't be what is today without Bob as hatchery manager. Wynoochee Summer run steelhead, started about 1977-78, were introduced because of the work of Bob, and many others, after the success of the Wynoochee program, summerrun were also started in the Humptulips.

Bob, and his wife Betty were such special people.... Thanks, again for all you did as a super employee of WDFW and what you and Betty did for me in the VALIC business.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1061496 - 02/09/23 12:15 PM Re: RIP Bob Paulsen [Re: DrifterWA]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Thank you all for sharing, I will forward on to some of my WDFW acquaintances.

Sounds like a life well-lived.

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#1061565 - 02/16/23 05:02 PM Re: RIP Bob Paulsen [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Kinda wish we WDFW had more managers (now) like Bob. Years ago there was a lot of interesting stuff that went on at hatcheries. For example, sockeye were successfully raised to some size smolts, summer steelhead were raised with coho and produced a great return, chinook and coho were hybridized and produced a fish that ate fish, grew fast, and committed suicide on spoons. Plus, they cleaned out the Yellow Perch. Also, there was a nice grayling broodstock was working fine (in the lake) and would a have been a great source for high lakes specialty stocking. Planting Chinook and coho fry in lakes and getting lots of age-0 smolts.

I am sure there was other stuff but would be frowned upon now.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |