Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#524655 - 08/01/09 04:25 PM Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Old Man Parker is getting up there in his years and his health and ability to move around without pain and discomfort has really decreased. We kinda figured this would be his last trip up North so we attempted to set the stage in our favor. Last week in July for a shot at the big kings on the Kasilof! This year, the other two seats went to my fraternity brother who logs in here as Delbert and his 12 year old son, Peter. Delbert has fished with Bob both in Washington and in AK and was a veteran of the game. Peter, on the other hand, was looking at a 17" rainbow as his largest fish hooked and landed. This was his "initiation" with "the boys" as it was your classic Men's Fishing Trip up to Alaska. I'm sure Peter had huge expectations in his head that he was going to get large kings every day with the ease of a seasoned pro.

I hate to burst the kid's bubble at such a young age......... rofl

Got all settled in to Beluga Bill's and even though the Kenai was rip roaring and the highest I've ever seen it, I promptly flossed up a red or two...or er, I lose count.... Hit the sack by midnight. Gotta love Alaska!

Day 1:

Saw us up at 3:15am and out on the water by 4:30. By 4:45 or so, we were set up at The Traps waiting for The Game to begin. Delbert started things off pretty early with high teens fish that was promptly let go. We thought things were looking up. Nothing else really happened in The Traps so we moved on down to the Hog Trough and got the lines wet.

Peter's rod folded over. Game on! With only a little help getting the rod out of the holder and making sure that Bob's $700 rod/reel didn't go flying out in the river, Peter stuck with this fish all the way to the end. Both Peter and the fish was exhausted. Unfortunately, when we asked Peter if he wanted to shake this "football" off, he said no.

Peter and his 37 pound Kasilof King! Hell of a nice fish for one's very first king!!!!!

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. Due to the Kenai close to flooding, there was a ton of boat traffic on the Kasilof on all the days we were there. The normal "chess game" that is played on the Kasilof by all the veteran guides went out the door as it all broke down to a ton of boats racing each other to various spots, low holing, corking, and so on. We pretty much zigged when we should have zagged on this day. Never got any real brake during the day of fishing and it resulted in a pretty average day for a strong tide with a good push of fish coming in and out on the tide. I bounced up a small king with the fly rod and various other kings were caught and released. Nothing really to write home about.

Off the water by 1:00 or so. Stopped in to Trusty's for some vac-pack bags and safeway for some more supplies. The rest of the day(s) pretty much went something like get home, floss some reds, eat some dinner, floss some more reds until dark, process fish, and in bed by midnight.

Day 2:

Bob might have sort of hinted that he was off his A-Game the day before, so we got up at 3:00 to be on the water and in the Hog Trough by oh-dark-before-everyone else. If they wanted to race, well screw them! We would be where we needed to be first!

Newly Seasoned Veteran Pete promptly showed us that Kids really DO RULE on the Kasilof and hooked up in to a fish within the first 5 minutes of putting the lines out in the Trough! Not as mean or as big as his last fish, but we helped out as little as possible and when the fish finally came in, he punched out on this nice 28 pound fish!

Old Man Parker was out for Trophy Fish this last week, but in among the fish he was releasing, he finally decided to get some ink wet on his catch card and tagged out on this fine fish.

By this time, we had moved down river to Parker's Pink Hole. Don't ask and I won't tell and I sure as hell hope no photos end up here. wink Ok, maybe just this one - of my ass in waders! Again, don't ask, don't tell!

This one is for you Aunty! Men In Waders 2009 - April

But, ol' Pink Hole produced a fine fish for me on the heavy gear rod.

I managed to finally whack a small silver down at the Creek and Delbert was left with all 4 rods to get a fish. Sadly, other than a bunch of footballs, it wasn't his day.

Off the water by 2:00 but we invited the Ball's over for some same-day-sockeye. As soon as we got home and unpacked, I was instructed to go down to the dock and flip up some reds for dinner. That took about 5 minutes. Mission accomplished. The Ball's came over and we took some cracks at some reds on the dock.

Apparently one CAN sleep while standing up as they floss for reds. wink

The cutest ladies in Sterling show us boys how to floss up some reds!

We all ate well on a dinner of same-day-bbq'd-sockeye, two different pastas, ceasar salad, bread, and for those that consumed the evil stuff, IPA beer or margaritas. Afterwards some more flipping (of crap?) went on, the Balls had to go home, and after processing some more fish, I was in bed by midnight again.

Day 3 - Final Day frown

My goal of the week was to backbounce up some fish on Bob's 10 weight Ugly Stick Fly loaded up with 30 pound dacron. For some odd reason, out of the 30 or so boats and 100+ fisher people on the river on any given day, I was the only one bouncing the bottom with a fly rod. Those poor folks don't know what they are missing out on.

Up at 3:00 again and set up in the Trough by oh-dark-thirty. By the time it got light enough for the fish to pick up, 6 or so boats were with us and wondering why I was backbouncing with a fly rod. I got to warm up the crowd by loudly calling out a bite and set the hook and played in a large football and pretty much handed me my ass on that 10 weight. Undeterred, I let the fish go, re-baited and went back to work. Didn't really have time to call out the bite as the fish bit, and took off towards towards the open ocean. I was down to about 50 yards of line when Bob finally took mercy on me and decided it was time to pull anchor and chase the fish. Took a while to catch up on the fish with the 1:1 fly reel, but in the end, the fish lost.

Here's a 36 pound chromer on the bug rod. If I only had that cool new J&H jacket to match that awesome J&H hat....... wink

Here's the rod in the mouth shot that we were going for, but apparently someone forgot to show Delbert how to properly FRAME a shot. wink Damn, that's one DAMN FINE lucky J&H hat! Sure has heck beat up on the EAR hat! wink

Close to a good shot, but not quite......

Since we were there, we hit a slot that has always produced at least one fish for me every time it's been fished. Last year, I pulled out a 39 pound hen out of this slot. SInce I was already tagged out and Delbert hadn't really had a good fish yet, I promised him the fish on my rod. That reminds me of a story.......

I think the year was 2006. After fishing all day, Old Man Parker really wanted my seat/rod because it was getting bit all day. So, I said sure and switched seats with the Old Man. 5 minutes later he hooks and lands a 58 pounder.

Last year, CanyonMan gave handed me off a shot at a mercy fish and so after landing a fish or two, I said the next fish on my rod was his. That resulted in a 45 pound platinum buck for CanyonMan.

This year, we joked about that and I told Delbert he it was flat out guaranteed that my rod would hook up on a monster Kasilof fish.

Yeah, it did. It promptly kicked Delbert's butt and Bob didn't really feel like pulling anchor and helping out. So, we all laughed at poor Delbert as he got brutalized by this hand-off fish.

Most of the time, the scene looked like this:

Oh yeah, it came in at 43 pounds. A pound bigger than the largest fish I've landed on the Kasilof.

Uh oh, time for Men In Waders 2009- July

What about Peter? Was the kid done? Was he finally going to get humbled by the Mightly Kasilof and finally learn that one just doesn't show up and get a good king all the days they are on the water? Did that bubble get burst? Hell no!!! thumbs

Not much to say other than Sir King Peter bonked his 3rd and final king. wink I think this one was 28 or so.

The end of the day was marked by a group shot down at Coho Cove. Not a bad shot and haul to mark this trip by!

Got to meet Scott as he is one of the Minnersotera guys that hangs out with Hawk and crew. Great guy with a great family and they were having a blast up there as well! Thanks for the halibut, Scott! thumbs

Of course, none of us had any fun at all and it was flat out miserable the entire time. wink I don't think I really need to say (again) that Bob puts on one hell of a show and the Ball Family is Top Notch all the way around! It was an awesome trip! One that I will not soon forget!

#524657 - 08/01/09 04:30 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: The Moderator]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Wow great photo tutorial....

YOU BRING US HOME SOME EGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS? That big girl looks like she was loaded!

Keith thumbs

#524658 - 08/01/09 04:52 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: stlhdr1]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Hey Parker... looks like you've got that fNp pseudo-MEGA-hawg meathook pose down pat! Lookin' g-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-d!

Congrats to the entire party on some FINE fish.

Keith is right.... Delbert's (your?) MEGA hen looks like an overloaded egg-wagon. Better in the gravel, though, than in his curing jar. wink

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#524659 - 08/01/09 04:54 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: stlhdr1]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Awesome post. Very cool your bud and kid caught super nice fish.
Back to the Blue Angles though.

#524660 - 08/01/09 05:03 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: seastrike]
tjcarroll Offline
Union Dock Worker

Loc: Seattle - Union
Great post parker and good that all in the boat were hooken fish this week.
Just pulled in from Astoria, that's another story.

#524661 - 08/01/09 05:05 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: seastrike]
One Way Offline
Call me Sir

Loc: San Rafael, Ca. & Whidbey Isla...
Parker first posting mistake I have noticed you make( perhaps it was intentional) the caption said something about parkers pink hole and the next photo was you bent over in waders...ummm bothersome. looks like a GREAT Alaskan trip. congrats

#524663 - 08/01/09 05:09 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: One Way]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Tommy....still crappy down there?
I sent the GF up to Whidbey to put the kids on some pinks hopefully.
Chores for me today.

#524674 - 08/01/09 05:59 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: seastrike]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
brewer likes the spinglo fly on the fly rod.

#524675 - 08/01/09 06:01 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: seastrike]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great trip. thumbs

#524679 - 08/01/09 06:35 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: The Moderator]
SmellslikeTuna Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seabeck, WA
Been waiting for this report to hit the press. Thanks for sharing Parker! That looks like an awesome trip! As always, nice report and nice pics man.

#524684 - 08/01/09 07:44 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: Brewer]
floatinghat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Seattle
Originally Posted By: Brewer
brewer likes the spinglo fly on the fly rod.

+1

#524688 - 08/01/09 08:09 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: floatinghat]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Nice work parker! Looks like a good old time smile Might need to take them waders out a bit though! smile REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Cheers,
neal

#524717 - 08/01/09 09:51 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: Neal M]
tyeeterror Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Humboldt Nation
Great post, looks like you had an excellent time. Can't go wrong in Alaska. I gotta get back up there. Have not returned since 1996.

#524719 - 08/01/09 10:00 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: Neal M]
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Well, parker got most of 'em up that I had saved to throw up once I slept for about 16 hours of the last 24 smile

I have a few more though to add though:

Parker's silver

Rainey wondring if Dee is ever going to bring that fish back to the boat

One of Bill's fish comin' in

Part of the brutal life of a 964 on the Kasilof

Peter between bites ... wish I could have joined him abut this time of year!

Peter leanin' into one

With a second line in tow, time to chase this one!

Oh, I'm sure no one will right click on this one to use later on! Parker's Pink Hole

Rowing lessons for Dee

A full view of Parker's bouncing bugrod screamer

How you have to ride back if you still stink like Pink!

Wish we could have had a big finale for Bill's Swan song, but I guess I should be happy tht in a season of low king returns across the state, that a light net schedule at least gave us some mediocre fish numbers.

I fully expect a couple of hunks of smoked sockeye from the ones that I tossed into your bucket for ya guys!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#524733 - 08/01/09 10:37 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: Bob]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Bob
I fully expect a couple of hunks of smoked sockeye from the ones that I tossed into your bucket for ya guys!

This reminds me of two recent evenings.

Evening one is a tale of a guides client losing a $700 rod/reel combo in the Kenai while flipping for reds. We all laughed and wondered how someone could lose a rod/reel while flipping for reds.

Evening two is a tale of a guide...er.....well, let's just say Dan S. would have really appreciated it if he was there. I think he'd still be rolling on the dock laughing....

Oh, and if one were to listen to Corey, you've never flipped a red in your life! rofl I'm pretty sure Corey or Ro-Ro put those fish in that box. rofl

But, I'm sure some smoked up pinks^C^C^C^C^Csockeye will make it over to Forks this winter! wink

#524735 - 08/01/09 10:40 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: The Moderator]
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Stop, Drop & Roll!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#524736 - 08/01/09 10:42 PM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: The Moderator]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Great pics. Whadja' do with the humpy?

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#524754 - 08/02/09 12:23 AM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: RowVsWade]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
Great pics and report.

Dam I miss Alaska.

Rusty Bell

#524775 - 08/02/09 02:19 AM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: RowVsWade]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
Whadja' do with the humpy?

It probably went in the box, he'll smoke it and give it to Bob this fall. grin
Looks like a fun trip!

#524777 - 08/02/09 02:23 AM Re: Parker's Alaska 2009 Trip Report w/pics [Re: sykofish]
FASTWATER Offline
Spawner

Loc: Place's you only dream about
That Humpy will smoke up just fine, their I have said it. and Parker in that fly rod shot has that , SLEEPI don't need no stinking sleep look!!!PEACE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 433 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |