Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#564817 - 12/16/09 02:56 PM Hump gauge saved
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Daily world article

MONTESANO — The county commissioners approved a contract with the U.S. Geological Survey on Monday to save a popular river gauge on the Humptulips River used by fishermen, farmers and emergency services personnel.

But County Commissioner Terry Willis says the county still doesn’t know how it’ll pay for the gauge.

Willis says the federal government will continue operating the river gauge through the end of next year. The county must pay for it by December 2010.

“This makes sure the river gauge stays operational as we continue to look for funds,” she said.

The county is supposed to pay $8,870 to operate the river gauge, but the funding was cut off in the commissioner’s approved operational budget. The total cost to operate the river gauge is $16,870. The federal government chips in the other $8,000.

The river gauge, the only one on the Humptulips, is used by fishermen to determine the depth and flow of the water.

It’s also used by farmers to determine how much water is in the river in the summer time and helps give emergency services personnel a heads-up for possible flooding during storm months.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#564822 - 12/16/09 03:04 PM Re: Hump gauge saved [Re: Dogfish]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Good news.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#564824 - 12/16/09 03:09 PM Re: Hump gauge saved [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
good news

#564826 - 12/16/09 03:13 PM Re: Hump gauge saved [Re: fish4brains]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
God to hear. Hopefully the county will find funding to keep the gauge working.

#564836 - 12/16/09 03:47 PM Re: Hump gauge saved [Re: Streamer]
OPfisher Offline
The Golden Boy

Loc: wa/ak
sweet!

http://www.olympicpeninsulaoutfitters.net/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Olympic-Peninsula-Outfitters/

#564837 - 12/16/09 03:50 PM Re: Hump gauge saved [Re: OPfisher]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Abu will be happy. rofl

Edited by Sol Duc (12/16/09 03:50 PM)

- Albert Einstein.

#564902 - 12/16/09 06:46 PM Re: Hump gauge saved [Re: Sol Duc]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

i knew all my emails and bitching might help..

mainly region 6

#564904 - 12/16/09 07:00 PM Re: Hump gauge saved [Re: steely slammer]
Piper
Unregistered

If they charged an access fee to the site they could help defer the cost... I'm sure $20 per year isn't out of the question for someone that uses it quite a bit...

Hell It would only take a little over 400 subscribers to pay for it...

#564913 - 12/16/09 07:42 PM Re: Hump gauge saved [Re: ]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Piper
If they charged an access fee to the site they could help defer the cost... I'm sure $20 per year isn't out of the question for someone that uses it quite a bit...

On the other hand, we already pay taxes which, of all things, should fund something like this.....a govt. run monitoring station.

#564933 - 12/16/09 09:00 PM Re: Hump gauge saved [Re: Eric]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Originally Posted By: Eric

On the other hand, we already pay taxes which, of all things, should fund something like this.....a govt. run monitoring station.

I hardly use the site. Yesterday we saw like 1.75in rain here near Shelton. I'd be willing to contribute $20 to help fund the site.

The word, earlier was this had to come from the county? If the county has an account to accept fishers to help fund this site more people could contribute.

#564940 - 12/16/09 09:17 PM Re: Hump gauge saved [Re: slabhunter]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

I made the suggestion to the folks who run the guage, that we really only need from October thru March at the latest. That takes care of the flooding.

Im somewhat surprise, that noone has seen any correlation between the humtuplips and flooding of other rivers in the area. Its not the same area, but you can set your watch by the activities of the snoqualmie and the skykomish. They flood within hours of each other and one will clear up, one day sooner than the other. Alot like the Satsop and the Nooch.

The farmers that pull water out of it, can put in a stick guage and drive the tractor out to the gauage and look at it.

Or they can spend the money to run a pipe in from the sacramento river.

Edited by Lead Bouncer (12/16/09 09:25 PM)

#564963 - 12/16/09 10:17 PM Re: Hump gauge saved [Re: Eric]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Eric

True that! We pay federal taxes to fund USGS for exactly this type of public service. But these are extraordinary times, and many USGS gages are funded by the interests most affected by river elevations. Utilities that operate dams pay for the gages on rivers controlled by dams. Counties pay for a lot of gages primarily for flood warning purposes.

Sg

#564979 - 12/16/09 10:58 PM Re: Hump gauge saved [Re: Salmo g.]
Piper
Unregistered

The day is coming when alot of these fluff federal services will have to be funded by other sources or just flat out cut...

personally, I think we need to start pulling some of this back to the grass roots level where we actually care about it...

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |