Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#583341 - 02/22/10 11:51 PM Baking Halibut
iNofish Offline
Parr

Loc: Port Angeles Washington
I just cant seem to get it right. I guess I must just be over cooking, but it always seems to turn out too dry. Tonight I tried wrapping it in foil thinking that would help keep the moisture in. Cooked for right at 30min and............you guessed. Overdone again.

You guys got any secrets you'd be willing to share to ensure your halibut comes out moist and flakey like it should? I hate ruining good halibut.

#583346 - 02/23/10 12:06 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: iNofish]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
30 minutes at temperature is too long for any fish IMO.

I don't bake it, I grill it, and it turns out pretty damn good with this recipe.

1 clove garlic, minced
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 whole lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 (6 ounce) fillets halibut

1. In a stainless steel or glass bowl, combine garlic, olive oil, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and parsley.
2. Place the halibut filets in a ziplock bag, and pour the marinade over the fish. Cover or seal and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour, turning occasionally.
3. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate. Med-high on my grill....Set grate 4 inches from the heat.
4. Remove halibut filets from marinade and drain off the excess. Grill filets 5 minutes per side or until fish is done when easily flaked with a fork.

#583352 - 02/23/10 12:15 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: ]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Yep, that's the one! MReyns and B-Rad brought down a fresh PA 'butt , the whole thing...and we cooked it up over an open fire..
Doesnt get much better than that!

#583356 - 02/23/10 12:27 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: Sky-Guy]
Brad_tgl Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
Yep, that's the one! MReyns and B-Rad brought down a fresh PA 'butt , the whole thing...and we cooked it up over an open fire..
Doesnt get much better than that!

Best halibut ever!

#583359 - 02/23/10 12:33 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: Brad_tgl]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
droooooooolllllllllinnnnnnngggg

#583362 - 02/23/10 12:47 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
iNofish Offline
Parr

Loc: Port Angeles Washington
Thanks for the help Sky-guy & Chuck, 'preciate it!!

#583366 - 02/23/10 12:59 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: iNofish]
fish monger Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
It really doesn't matter what recipe you have. If you overcook it, it's pretty much ruined...which really goes for any fish. Fish (or any meat for that matter) will continue to cook after you take it out of the oven or off the grill, so I've found that if you wait until it's completely done, it's too late. Better if it's ever so slightly rare in the middle, then take it off the heat, cover with foil and wait 5 to 10 minutes to let it continue to cook through.

If all else fails...beer batter it and fry it.

#583368 - 02/23/10 01:03 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: iNofish]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Any fish worth putting on the barbeque, 10 minutes TOTAL cooking time per inch of thickness tops.

Pull it off the heat med rare, let rest for a few minutes, and it physiologically finishes cooking to a juicy medium.... just barely becoming opaque in the middle.

If the fish has been frozen, the cells are dead, and the meat will not readily "finish" as described... tends to stay underdone in the middle. If you cook the middle thoroughly the rest is overcooked. Just one of the unavoidable culinary perils of freezing perfectly good FRESH fish. Better to keep the pieces thinner so its easier to cook it more evenly full thickness.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#583377 - 02/23/10 01:27 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: eyeFISH]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
A couple of thoughts:

A chef at a lodge showed me a great method. He heats oven to 350, then breads the halibut , fries it VERY hot, waaaay to hot to allow complete cooking, when nicely browned on outside, but still not done toss in preheated oven till done. - About 145. Get an instant read thermometer to be certain of the temp.

Try my always great breading. Dip damp fish in seasoned flour, then in egg wash, then in well crumbled Tim's jalapeņo chips. Fry, enjoy. Simply marvelous.

To help keep breading from falling off while cooking, bread the fish an hour or so before cooking and store in fridge, it helps temper the breading.

#583379 - 02/23/10 01:37 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: Dave Vedder]
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
You guys hit the nail on the head, I constantly have to remind my guys to not overcook the fish. I actually like to start the fish on the broiler then, pop it in the steamer for a few minutes to finish it off. Keeps it extra moist. Of course we have a commercial steamer that cooks it fast.

If you want to bake it, try putting it in a marinade first, like Johnny's "Jamaica mistake", top that with a few sauteed onions and it make a great dinner.....with of course, white rice.
Damned Asians !

Steve

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#583398 - 02/23/10 03:34 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: FishNg1]
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
Originally Posted By: FishNg1
Damned Asians !

Damn right Mr. Ng. cool

DV. I'm gonna try Tim's Jalepeno Chips later this week. Sounds good. Will try the tempering the breading trick too. Thanks.

#583403 - 02/23/10 08:18 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: Jaydee]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
If your frozen fish aren't vacuum packed correctly it will dry out and poke a hole in the bag when you thaw the fish, that will keep the juices from being pulled out of the fish as it thaws.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#583418 - 02/23/10 10:13 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Please report back. I have doen this many times, and always get rave reviews.

#583442 - 02/23/10 11:34 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: Dave Vedder]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
I really like cedar-plankin the halibut on the grill too, I think it helps retain it's moisture and it's off when it gets to 145 degrees.....we just marinade the fish in olive oil, Johnny's Seafood seasoning, and a squirt of lime juice for a couple of hours first.

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#583448 - 02/23/10 11:49 AM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: NOFISH]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
the turkey and swiss I brought for lunch is not sounding so good all of a sudden.

#583474 - 02/23/10 12:41 PM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: fish4brains]
OPtoKenai Offline
Smolt

Loc: Aberdeen Wa
For baking use any seasoning you like. The recipe above looks like a good one!! For temp I go 400 for 15 min, uncovered. I lil chicken steak will just be done, thicker steaks will take a minute or 2 more. Just until the clear stripe in the center is gone, I now pull it off the heat and let it rest on top of the stove when I can still see a little stripe. It has taken plenty of less than perfect Hali dinners to get it down.

#583478 - 02/23/10 12:55 PM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: Dave Vedder]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder

Try my always great breading. Dip damp fish in seasoned flour, then in egg wash, then in well crumbled Tim's jalapeņo chips. Fry, enjoy. Simply marvelous.

Hey Dave, what would you say the chances are that this little trick of yours might work well with a batch of still-wiggling razor clams this weekend? We are highly motivated to try it, thanks! thumbs

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#583479 - 02/23/10 01:02 PM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: NOFISH]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Baking fish: 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. per inch of thickness. With fish, it's alwyas better to undercook by two minutes than to overcook by one.

Sg

#583481 - 02/23/10 01:07 PM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: Salmo g.]
Happy Birthday CHUBS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap county
I have tried Daves little trick with ritz crackers also and gives a great buttery flavor.

#583482 - 02/23/10 01:08 PM Re: Baking Halibut [Re: NOFISH]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Never did razors that way, but should be great. When's dinner. I will be in the area . . .

For salmon I would not do it unless its pink, chum or some salmon thats not primo. Otherwise I like salt pepper and butter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |