Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#665660 - 02/24/11 02:31 PM Nature Conservancy
Brant Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
They just bought 3,088 acres from Rayonier on the Clearwater. Part of the purpose is to restore habitat for salmon and steelhead. Whether you like the Nature Conservancy or not, this seems to be a good deal for fish.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2014314229_clearwater24m.html

#665665 - 02/24/11 02:48 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: Brant]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

That's awesome!

Though, it's just a drop in the bucket compaired to what's going on up there...

I can't tell you how awesome it is to be floating along in a perfect wilderness setting with the sound of chainsaws, trees crashing down, and logging trucks ripping around...

#665674 - 02/24/11 03:00 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: Driftfishnw]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Bravo!

#665902 - 02/24/11 11:38 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: Sky-Guy]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
applause
Thus far they have defined good stewardship.

Edited by Direct-Drive (02/24/11 11:39 PM)

#665908 - 02/24/11 11:44 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: Direct-Drive]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
Wow!!
I hope that's as good as it seems to be.
If I had lotsa bucks I would buy river drainages as well. But then I would be King and would guarantee myself C and R rights. And would end netting, and other things that harm our fishy friends.

#665926 - 02/25/11 12:01 AM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: Doctor Rick]
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
We can all send our appreciation by making a donation the Conservancy and thank them. http://my.nature.org/donate/donate-online.html?src=l2

#665946 - 02/25/11 12:31 AM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: Brant]
topwater Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rocky Mountain High
kudos to the conservancy. wonder how they'll feel when they realize that not many fish will be able to access that improved habitat with the current fishery on the lower queets. could be a good thing to have more people in the conservation world become aware of what is going on.

#666016 - 02/25/11 10:31 AM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: topwater]
fshwithnoeyes Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lewis Co via Bham
Purchasing and securing land in the watershed is arguably the best use of resourses, even if fish can't access it.

#666021 - 02/25/11 11:16 AM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: fshwithnoeyes]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I think the State should pick up the tab for lost revenue to the affected Counties, if the purchase is to become tax exempt. What's good for the fish is good for all.....if all pay for it.

#666027 - 02/25/11 11:36 AM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: ParaLeaks]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
Purchasing land or securing development rights is a very good idea when there is a clear and iminent threat to losing the habitat value it provides. Conversion of forestland to a housing development, for example. Purchase of riparian corridors along mainstem rivers already protected by Forest Practices regulations and state shoreline rules, maybe some benefit there. Buying up forestland "in the watershed even if fish can't access it" would be a pretty low priority for expenditire of scarce restoration dollars.

#666054 - 02/25/11 01:22 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: milt roe]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: milt roe
Purchasing land or securing development rights is a very good idea when there is a clear and iminent threat to losing the habitat value it provides. Conversion of forestland to a housing development, for example. Purchase of riparian corridors along mainstem rivers already protected by Forest Practices regulations and state shoreline rules, maybe some benefit there. Buying up forestland "in the watershed even if fish can't access it" would be a pretty low priority for expenditire of scarce restoration dollars.

+1

#666110 - 02/25/11 04:51 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: Salmo g.]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
They won't be cutting that timber along the river so maybe we will get over the 40 year cycle of clearcuts on one river........cost, if you have the money.......cheap compared to 40 years from now. I can go along with this sort of thing, kudo's to the conservancy but I will still question MPA's unless it can be shown to me that anglers are the cause of the problem....prefer use of proper seasons or limits that will actually allow stocks to rebuild

#666124 - 02/25/11 06:21 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: N W Panhandler]
fshwithnoeyes Offline
Returning Adult

Classified as "critical" habitat for spring Chinook on the Dept of Ecology's WRIA map, I would think that quanity and quality of water in the stream during critical migration timing would be positive benefit of reforestation, and continual forestation for springers...whether within stream protection corridor or not. Especially in a non-glacially fed stream.

I'm surprised Salmo.

I think we spend our scarse restoration dollars on some pretty stupid things, especially in urbanized, well degraded areas.

#666134 - 02/25/11 07:11 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: fshwithnoeyes]
Brant Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Speaking of scarce restoration dollars, I read something a while back that basically said we should give up on salmon restoration on many urban rivers like the Sky, Snoqulamie and Puyallup. The habitat is too degraded and the costs are too much given all the development that has occurred and would need to be compensated for to make the places truly work for fish. This article advocated spending money solely in places like the Peninsula or Skagit. Property is cheaper there. Development/problems are less there. There are fewer landowner's to compensate when you force them to change things. All around, the money is better spent on salmon restoration in these areas. It was an interesting point of view.

#666137 - 02/25/11 07:25 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: Brant]
fshwithnoeyes Offline
Returning Adult

Sounds like Salmon 2100.

#666152 - 02/25/11 08:07 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: fshwithnoeyes]
digdeep Offline
Alevin

Loc: Olympia, WA
Over the years I have spent alot of time exploring this drainage. Logging is not pretty it makes for an ugly landscape. I don't think that is has had a major effect on the fish runs of the system. The steady netting of the lower rivers is taking a devastaing toll on the runs that are trying to reach these protected waters. I agree this is a great way to keep the pristine environment. It will not help the runs.

#666160 - 02/25/11 08:31 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: digdeep]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Fshwithnoeyes,

I agreed with Milt's post because the CW is good habitat in the sense that already logged and actively managed forestland can be good fish habitat. I don't know that NC won't also log the land, although I expect that if they do, it will be kinder, gentler logging. And if NC didn't manage the land, Rayonier has to comply with today's much stricter Forest Practices Act (as amended) than previous logging. All but a small parcel of old growth in the CW watershed has been logged, so the habitat is anything but pristine. The state managed land (DNR), which is much if not most of it, will continue to be managed as active forestland, with continued logging, but as I said, under today's regulations, which are pretty good, if you're going to allow logging.

If there are spring chinook in the CW, that is news to me. There are springs, summers, and falls in the Queets, but I think there are only fall chinook in the CW. Someone will correct this if I'm wrong.

Water quality and temperature will improve under current forest practice regulations.

I'm not saying the purchase is stupid. I think there are higher priority habitat conservation and improvement opportunities than this purchase however, that would yield more results for the dollars spent.

Sg

#666169 - 02/25/11 09:37 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: Salmo g.]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

I havent dug into the purchase, but it would not surprise me if some of the money came from the State or Federal govt. Last year, a 77 million dollar parcel of land on the Stilly was bought and is being managed by the local tribe. They cannot sell it. I am curious in another matter whether that becomes part of the "reservation"

The dept that delt with that purchase has not seen budget cuts. Apparently CG has a major interest in it. A 77 million dollar piece of land on the Stillaguamish under the Governors program, is not more valuable than the Commission/WDFW structure, when you consider that any recovery of fish, is subject to surviving the tribal gill nets.

If Nature Conservancy has to buy the land to protect it, then WE need to change some laws. There is no way these organizations can own enough land along the rivers to protect fish on a state wide basis.
When they do, they have more leverage over the access than we do.

Edited by Lead Bouncer (02/25/11 09:38 PM)

#666173 - 02/25/11 10:01 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: Fast and Furious]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

The Nature Conservancy allows both hunting and fishing on many of their parcels.

#666175 - 02/25/11 10:11 PM Re: Nature Conservancy [Re: Illahee]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Good.

It would benefit anglers and hunter to have an open dialogue with NC simply because a few bad apples can ruin it for all of us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |