Rate This Topic
#980460 - 10/10/17 09:23 AM Future Not Looking Good
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

#980470 - 10/10/17 01:09 PM Re: Future Not Looking Good [Re: RUNnGUN]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
It is kind of strange, because the Sound looks healthy then ever. I couldn't fish herring because I would have a smolt strip it every minute or so. The herring are every where, and the squid numbers look stronger than I have ever seen. Maybe some higher numbers of salmon are not migrating out, but I believe the squid do and they are still coming back in huge numbers. The herring numbers just look to be very high. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Edited by Krijack (10/10/17 01:11 PM)

#980472 - 10/10/17 02:26 PM Re: Future Not Looking Good [Re: RUNnGUN]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Lion's mane jellies down to the greater Johns Creek/ Bayshore area...

#980476 - 10/10/17 04:28 PM Re: Future Not Looking Good [Re: RUNnGUN]
SalishFish Offline
Alevin

Loc: Skagit
http://www.sightline.org/2013/03/29/the-...5-mar-28-16-49/

see if this link to Cherry Point hering works...Sightline Institute but data has to predate them by many years

#980482 - 10/10/17 07:14 PM Re: Future Not Looking Good [Re: RUNnGUN]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
The states last herring assessment they have published is from 2012. It shows the problems with the cherry point stock and some of the north sound and Canal stocks, but also shows a moderately healthy stock in the south sound. From what I can tell, the numbers the last few years are much higher than the 2012 numbers, with this years being the highest yet. They are supposed to do a analysis every 4 years but from this link paperwork they appear to be doing it every 2 years. They should have the numbers for 2014 out, since it appears to take 2 years to publish them, but I don't see anything newer on line. In any case, here are the 2012 stock numbers. http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01628/wdfw01628.pdf

#980488 - 10/10/17 10:32 PM Re: Future Not Looking Good [Re: RUNnGUN]
Piper
Unregistered

There's no bait, no shakers, no resident fish in puget sound... we didn't see massive schools of candle fish the last few years, and coho fishing in July and August hasn't been the best that I've seen in years, even though we cant fish when and where we used to because north hood canal is closed for all but gillnets

#980501 - 10/11/17 09:43 AM Re: Future Not Looking Good [Re: RUNnGUN]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Estuary baitfish are also abundant in the Columbia the last few years. So much so whales have come in to feed. Maybe the baitfish move out of the big blue during poor conditions and take refuge in places like that and in PS? If the baitfish move to places like that, the predators wouldn’t be far behind. Might explain the lack of catch by the researchers.

#980566 - 10/13/17 08:19 AM Re: Future Not Looking Good [Re: RUNnGUN]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The whole oceanic food chain, as it affects salmonids, seems to be collapsing. Diets have been forced to change out there and what they are eating is less nutritious. So, they are not as large. Also, at least up in AK, the lower quality of the food (calories per item is falling) means that an adult uses too much energy in metabolism in warmer water and dies because it can't eat enough to stay alive. They just disappear.

Restoration will require dealing with the whole food chain from bottom to top, accumulation of toxins, water conditions and changes in whole currents, the inside waters, and the terrestrial system. Together. We can't even deal well with single pieces of the puzzle.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |