LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1004761 - 03/04/19 12:41 PM Different strokes for different folks...
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Interesting to see how they do it in the Great Lakes. Curious to read everyone's comments/critiques.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1004762 - 03/04/19 01:06 PM Re: Different strokes for different folks... [Re: eyeFISH]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Their chinook don't eat very good (my opinion, having lived their and fished on those stocks for some years), and there's a lot of concern for heavy metals and PCB's in their belly meat, so maybe that's why he's cutting away all the meat that would be the gravy in our PacNW fish. If that's not his rationale, then dang he sure wastes a lot of meat!

fb

#1004763 - 03/04/19 01:10 PM Re: Different strokes for different folks... [Re: eyeFISH]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
I used to live in the Great Lakes. Upstate NY and several places in Michigan. I’ve done this fishery numerous times. Lots of fun, particularly for those folks who aren’t used to fishing big water (not so much fun if you’re susceptible to seasickness, and the water is rough). The salmon are considerably leaner than those found in saltwater. The fish’s diet is mostly alewife and smelt. The meat is quite pale, sort of a dull pink, as you can see in the video.

The method of choice is trolling long, thin spoons, off a down-rigger. As I recall, they can use two lines per angler, so a party of three can have 6 lines out, which really increases the likelihood of a strike.

The max size is usually around 20lbs. They occasionally hit 30lbs, but that would be unusual. Almost all fish are hatchery raised, particularly in the Lower Great Lakes. The Upper Lakes have reasonably good spawning and rearing habitat, so if you’re fishing Lake Superior or Upper Lake Michigan, the chances of getting a wild fish are quite good.

There is a concern about toxics in the meat. But it's not a huge deal. Trim away the excess fat usually eliminates any toxics. That ensures than a lean fish is even leaner. But it doesn't stop them from enjoying salmon on the grill, like the rest of us.

#1004781 - 03/04/19 08:07 PM Re: Different strokes for different folks... [Re: eyeFISH]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
True, seeing a great lakes charter boat in action is really something, not uncommon to have 10 or more lines out in the trolling spread, absolute wall of death. The limit is either 3 rods or no limit per person (I forget), but when I set up, I'd troll six terminals for two of us in my boat. A decent fish would be a fire drill clearing the deck. Back then we almost never saw 20 lbers, but I have heard there are a couple these days. The fish were kind of trouty in the way they'd go on the bite right at gray light in the morning for a flurry, and then shut down til later in the day. No tide change bites to work. Just different fishing, different strokes, different folks, or some of the same,

fb

#1004785 - 03/05/19 07:31 AM Re: Different strokes for different folks... [Re: cohoangler]
RogueFanatic Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap Co.
Originally Posted By: cohoangler
Lots of fun, particularly for those folks who aren’t used to fishing big water (not so much fun if you’re susceptible to seasickness, and the water is rough).

I grew up fishing in Michigan City (oddly enough located in Indiana) and I can tell you that I have never been as smacked around as I was fishing out of there. No swell but 3 footers coming every 5-6 seconds is no damn fun at all. Lk. MI shallows up near shore and the wave period is too short for the boat to reset.

A fishery that is more fun than the kings is trolling for big brown trout off of the many warm-water discharges at the power plants. Hot action and fewer guys at least back in the 80s...
http://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/fishing_icefishing-fishing_in_0210_02/243168#

Edited by RogueFanatic (03/05/19 12:18 PM)

#1004831 - 03/06/19 05:59 AM Re: Different strokes for different folks... [Re: eyeFISH]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
I too fished Lake Michigan a lot back in my college days. The bigger fish are up north near Traverse and Charlevoix. We commonly caught fish up to 30 pounds, with some HUGE Lakers and Browns in the mix. They are dawn and dusk biters for certain. Spoons are the go to, but we also had good success on plugs. The action can be red hot when you find em'.

The fresh water discharge fisheries for big browns is a hoot and best fished in the dead of winter. It is soooooo cold. Milwaukee has a world class discharge fishery. On the Michigan side, all of the major river systems will hold world class browns in the fall. Until pretty recently, the Manistee held the world record at around 41 pounds. I'm convinced there's a 50 pounder in there somewhere.

On the weather front, all of the Great Lakes are generally pretty chill until the summer afternoon thunderstorms come rolling in. Then it can be super violent and deadly. Lighting, hail, tornados and big waves for smaller boats can make it real sporty in a hurry.

On a side note, I miss the debauchery that is late night smelt dipping. Lots of big smelt and lots of Canadian Club.

#1004887 - 03/06/19 04:05 PM Re: Different strokes for different folks... [Re: eyeFISH]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Nick - Your post reminded me of my college days. Smelt dipping was the first fishery of the year (early April), and a real blast. Northshore of Lake Michigan. The smelt would run at night, so we would build huge campfires along the rivers, drink enough beer to drown a horse, and wait with steel dip nets for the huge schools of smelt to charge upstream. You could catch a gallon in one scoop. Tradition says you had to bite the head off the first one you caught. I remember my GF at the time did that with considerable enthusiasm! How many women have you ever seen bite the head off a live fish....

Great times, great memories.

#1004891 - 03/06/19 05:22 PM Re: Different strokes for different folks... [Re: eyeFISH]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
That's exactly how I remember it. It was a party to be certain and jumbo smelt by the bucket loads. My GF bit the head off too. I shoulda kept her around.

#1010070 - 06/06/19 09:24 PM Re: Different strokes for different folks... [Re: eyeFISH]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Horrible waste!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 993 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |