Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1011206 - 06/30/19 11:05 AM WDFW Director Replies to our letter of Concern
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Director Susewind sent a reply to our letter of concern reference his appointment of Mr. Ron Warren to the newly created top level position of Director of Fish Policy.

You can read his letter and our response here:
Dir Susewind replies to letter of Concern ref: Ron Warren CLICK HERE

#1011207 - 06/30/19 11:47 AM Re: WDFW Director Replies to our letter of Concern [Re: Bay wolf]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Keep in mind staff drafts the letters 99% of the time. It is reviewed by many for input and the Director sometimes adds or subtracts portions. Seldom is a letter composed by the Director.

#1011208 - 06/30/19 11:55 AM Re: WDFW Director Replies to our letter of Concern [Re: Rivrguy]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Rivrguy

Keep in mind staff drafts the letters 99% of the time. It is reviewed by many for input and the Director sometimes adds or subtracts portions. Seldom is a letter composed by the Director.

True, but it has his signature, so he's accepted the content and is responsible for its message.

#1011209 - 06/30/19 02:05 PM Re: WDFW Director Replies to our letter of Concern [Re: Bay wolf]
Geoduck Offline
Returning Adult

Seems like he ended Unsworth's tenure. Maybe Suswind's too at the rate things are going and the dogged determination to maintain the status quo.

How much did Warren have to do with Anderson's departure? I can't remember.

NOF and chinook HMP aside, Warren was the chief architect of the WB chinook trainwreck too. The letter stating concerns about veracity seems a bit overly diplomatic IMHO.

Salmon management in this state is such an embarrassment . . .

#1011235 - 07/01/19 06:09 PM Re: WDFW Director Replies to our letter of Concern [Re: Bay wolf]
jgreen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Elma, WA
Oh look, another high level WDFW employee used the word “opportunity” again; I feel confident in the future for sure.

How much more condescending could he be? What a load. The very fact that Ron is considered the best persons for the job is telling. He’s going to make a good career and have a great retirement from being the tribes whipping boy at NOF. Goodbye fisheries. Wish I could have been around in the good old days.

Just smile and nod Ron, smile and nod.

#1011238 - 07/01/19 07:17 PM Re: WDFW Director Replies to our letter of Concern [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Here is a copy of our reply to Director Susewind:

Director Susewind,

I want to thank you for your personal reply to my letter of concern over Mr. Ron Warrens’s appointment, and for taking the time to address several other issues that were not raised in my correspondence.

You mentioned spending a year learning how complex the fisheries management is, and how difficult it is to balance the various dynamics involved. And in that year, I’m sure you’ve also realized that the Department has lost the confidence and trust of nearly its entire constituency, failed at a major budget battle and are now engaged in three major lawsuits, all surrounding the management practices that Mr. Warren oversee’s.

I’m disheartened you believe recreational fishermen judge success by harvest. Perhaps you’ve not gone into the crowd enough to meet the fine, hard working, intelligent people that I work with and know. Whose primary concern is NOT how much they get, but how best we can all work together to protect and to conserve.

It is somewhat naive to think that our campaign for open and transparent co-management is about increased recreational harvest. You see, we collectively cannot work together (Tribes, Rec’s and NT Commercials) without clear, open and transparent management. Your current policy of closed door meetings and non-public deals is exactly why the recreational community no longer trusts the department. Instead of creating a cohesive coalition, you have breed suspicion and distrust, which leads to animosity and anger.

We’ve explained this numerous times, in sessions with your predecessors, the Commission and hundreds of hours of testimony at public meetings. Unfortunately, it has fallen on deaf ears. You mention that you have not met me, nor seen me at any public forums. Please, ask Commission Chair Carpenter about his commitments to improved transparency due to our interactions with the Commission and the hours of public testimony. Ask Ron Warren about his promise of a letter to Northwest Indian Fish and Wildlife Commission Chair, Lorraine Loomis, which we had to finally publicly expose his failure to follow through, and how he sent it directly after giving his word we would see it prior. Ask Commissioner Barbra Baker and Joe Stohr about our meetings. Ask former Director Unsworth about our meetings. Ask the Commission about the crating of the Ten Year Chinook Harvest Management Plan, which was done in secret meetings, without any Commission input or knowledge, and how that faired with former Director Unsworth’s career.

It should be clear, the reason you have not met us, nor seen us at these “public” meetings is we realized they are not the best forum to effect real change in the current climate.

I’m aware any new Director has to rely on existing senior staff members to get acclimatized, just as the two previous Directors did. I didn’t bring my concerns of Mr. Warren to your attention based on our interactions with him on transparency. Rather, based on hundreds of conversations with your constituents, private conversations with Commissioners, staff members of WDFW and his performance and practices in the North of Falcon.

We are hoping you will be the leader who will create a coalition where all concerned parties are welcome and equal. Where information is freely shared in a spirit of cooperation. Where truth and integrity matter, and where the doors are open for all to participate fully in the decisions. Only then can we all work side by side for the greater good.

Sincerely,

Washington Citizen Sportsmen

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1011252 - 07/02/19 09:10 AM Re: WDFW Director Replies to our letter of Concern [Re: Bay wolf]
blenny Offline
Fry

Hilarious that he pulled a Donnie Trump move... "who are you? i haven't heard of you" our president is inspiring douchebag politics

#1011255 - 07/02/19 10:05 AM Re: WDFW Director Replies to our letter of Concern [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

What’s even more hilarious is that all we did was try and warn the guy. The last director put his career on the line betting on Ron Warren...

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1011258 - 07/02/19 11:15 AM Re: WDFW Director Replies to our letter of Concern [Re: Bay wolf]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

Obviously, Mr. Susewind does not have a clue about the great volunteer work that many sportsfishermen and groups do in trying to enhance and conserve the salmon runs. Depositing carcasses into the rivers for nutrient enhancement and feeding the salmon in net pens in the Sound being a couple of examples. Donating their time and energy to these endeavors. Sporties only interested in harvest? Really? Clueless.

#1011269 - 07/02/19 12:28 PM Re: WDFW Director Replies to our letter of Concern [Re: Lifter99]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Lifter99
Obviously, Mr. Susewind does not have a clue about the great volunteer work that many sportsfishermen and groups do in trying to enhance and conserve the salmon runs. Depositing carcasses into the rivers for nutrient enhancement and feeding the salmon in net pens in the Sound being a couple of examples. Donating their time and energy to these endeavors. Sporties only interested in harvest? Really? Clueless.

Also need to recognize the efforts of individuals and groups to remain engaged with the various agencies (State and Federal) starting with the Commission and including a myriad of Advisory Groups and the Legislature.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1011273 - 07/02/19 01:44 PM Re: WDFW Director Replies to our letter of Concern [Re: Bay wolf]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
"It should be clear, the reason you have not met us, nor seen us at these “public” meetings is we realized they are not the best forum to effect real change in the current climate."

This statement is more correct than you might realize.

All of us can ask for greater transparency, and seek more and better public involvement. But you won’t be any closer to where and how decisions are made.

Decisions are not made in public. They are not made in Commission meetings or public sessions or in any forum where you and I have access. Important decisions are made over the phone, in restaurants, in pubs and watering holes, over lunch, and in places where colleagues gather to discuss whatever issues they want to discuss. The purpose of these undisclosed (secret) discussions is to gauge the level of support from other Commissioners or agency leadership or from politicians or other folks whose opinion is considered important. The public meetings are for show. They are little more than theater to provide the appearance of transparency.

And I’m not just talking about natural resource management. It happens across the board. That includes the local school board, city council, board of directors, the legislature, and anywhere where important decisions are made by groups of people, including the F/W Commission.

By the time you and I get to the Commission meetings, all the decisions have been made. There may be opportunities to provide public input, but decisions are made when an individual member (Commission, Council, Board) convinces two of his/her colleagues to vote for whatever measure is being considered. That happens loooooong before the meeting has started.

I’m not saying public input is ignored. I’m saying that public input and participation only goes so far. The personal preferences of the individual Commission members, and their ability to convince other Commission members of their position is how decisions are made.

However, I will admit that NOF might be different. It’s possible that WDFW might not be able to work closely with the Tribal folks before NOF, given their historical animosity. So that when the NOF meetings start, nobody knows where the discussions will go, and where the disagreements will begin and end. It might get ugly. So there may be resistance, on both sides, to allow public participation when the outcome is highly uncertain.

But I encourage you to continue your quest, despite my somewhat jaded point of view.

Edited by cohoangler (07/02/19 02:28 PM)

#1011293 - 07/03/19 09:19 AM Re: WDFW Director Replies to our letter of Concern [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

As far as the North of Falcon: What you've described is the process's that are taken to make the decisions. And what the law requires is that there is a file that contains all such process's that went into the actual decisions, and that, by law is required to be available for the public (us) to review. There is NO file, NO way for the public to review and therefor, NO adherence to the law.

The law is clear, it does not say: "Unless the tribes don't want the information public." The North of Falcon is so inherently messed up, the senior leaders in the process have run rogue for sooo long that they now feel they are above the law.

Not going to play well in front of the Judge...

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |