Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1042263 - 11/14/20 12:19 PM Deep cycle battery question
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

I'm thinking of buying a lithium deep cycle battery for my pontoon boat. Its like a fraction of the weight. Anyone have experience? They are pricey and I want to know if they are as good as I'm reading. I troll for stripers in this thing and the lighter weight and longer run time/faster charging intrigues me. Just curious what anyone else's experience/thoughts are on these?

#1042264 - 11/14/20 01:14 PM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: ]
bobrr
Unregistered

I would look at what kind of charger works best for these. Could be a pricey kind of thing seeing the diff. between lithium and traditional lead acid or other types. Could be that they are competitive in price since there are so many lithium applications going on.

#1042281 - 11/14/20 06:25 PM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: ]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Brother built a pontoon boat with that type of battery. The only problem is the batteries can fry the electric outboard. You have to match things correctly.

#1042282 - 11/14/20 06:28 PM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: Rivrguy]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

I plan on chatting with the folks at bass pro so I don't run that risk.

#1042285 - 11/14/20 06:37 PM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: ]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Lithium are a lot safer too. They have their built in Battery Management System so you can’t over charge or drain to 0 volts. They do have a little higher voltage rating, so make sure your motor and electronics can handle it. I think they would if designed for 12 volts system.

Battery chargers aren’t much more than a good charger for a SLA. They do charge at a higher voltage. There are chargers that will handle both types of batteries too.

Edited by SRoffe (11/14/20 06:37 PM)

#1042286 - 11/14/20 10:33 PM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: SRoffe]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Thank you . The more I research the more I'm sold on the lithium. I am reading on the safeguards of certain ah models and how they run the motors. I seldom run at full power. I love new technology. Makes life better IMO.

Yeah I am not worried so much about cost,I am divorced with no kids. See Divorce thread rofl

#1042289 - 11/15/20 08:40 AM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: ]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
My brothers pontoon party barge is for the lake he lives on so he wanted substantial power reserves. The only draw back was if he runs it wide open the electric outboard can get fried so he does not run it wide open on full charge.

#1042294 - 11/15/20 12:46 PM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: Rivrguy]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

I ended up settling on a Dakota Lithium 54AH battery,with an 11 year warranty and a free charger,and it being a USA based company,I took a gamble. I did my research and this will be compatible with my Endura Max 45. At 17 pounds and what I have found online I should be able to troll all day,cut down on weight and footprint,and get longer life out of my battery. Throwing that much into an inflatable pontoon may be hard to swallow,but this is my main hobby. Fishing. To me it's worth it. I will report back after a season with a review. By then the batteries will be a third of the price and I will have wasted hundreds!

#1042302 - 11/16/20 06:31 AM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: ]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Interesting company, thanks for sharing! Appears they're US made as well. Maybe they will have a Black Friday sale here in a week too?

I signed up for the emails, as I know I'll have to replace my (3) Group 30 AGM's down the road that power my 36volt Minn-Kota. That's close to $800 for AGM's, and if the LI's can come down another step in a year or so I'd be all over changing! Plus cutting the weight in half (or more, as I have 225#'s of batteries in the forward helm of my 24' NR, just seems silly!)

#1042311 - 11/16/20 11:15 AM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: ]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Damn for that price with an 11 year warranty that is pretty tempting!
I want to be a fisherman.

#1042312 - 11/16/20 11:46 AM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: GodLovesUgly]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

They shipped it today,I ordered on Saturday. Time will tell but so far I'm impressed with the responsiveness.

In a few years the technology will improve as well as cost,so maybe hold off re-powering the boat. It's a huge savings in weight and I read somewhere a bass guy with a 36 volt system fished 3 days without recharging.

I troll for striped bass in local lagoons here and I traditionally can get about a half a day from a battery,so I would swap them out at around lunch time. No biggie but the batteries are heavy as all get out. This battery will drastically cut down on weight and will give me a full day (if all goes according to the reviews on these things) before I need to charge. And they charge in 3.5 hours. I may get 2 and then I can cover more ground. Fun stuff.

I will post a photo of my pontoon upgrades,it's pretty slick. Stealth mode!

#1042318 - 11/16/20 01:29 PM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: ]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: ArvidBarker
They shipped it today,I ordered on Saturday. Time will tell but so far I'm impressed with the responsiveness.

In a few years the technology will improve as well as cost,so maybe hold off re-powering the boat. It's a huge savings in weight and I read somewhere a bass guy with a 36 volt system fished 3 days without recharging.

I troll for striped bass in local lagoons here and I traditionally can get about a half a day from a battery,so I would swap them out at around lunch time. No biggie but the batteries are heavy as all get out. This battery will drastically cut down on weight and will give me a full day (if all goes according to the reviews on these things) before I need to charge. And they charge in 3.5 hours. I may get 2 and then I can cover more ground. Fun stuff.

I will post a photo of my pontoon upgrades,it's pretty slick. Stealth mode!

I think you'll be pleased with that battery.

#1042319 - 11/16/20 01:34 PM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: SRoffe]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: SRoffe

I think you'll be pleased with that battery.
I do too. I never thought I would be so pumped about a stupid boat battery lol.

#1042857 - 11/30/20 08:13 AM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: ]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Wired the battery with 10 gauge marine wire with a 60 amp breaker.

The quick connectors make it slick to just connect the battery and motor in seconds. Rigged the charger to the quick connector as well.

Made good use of my dryft wader belt!

I will post reviews of this thing,waiting on a replacement bladder for my outcast.

#1042858 - 11/30/20 09:52 AM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: ]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Well Done!

Is there a fuse in the box? I know the BMS inside the battery will protect the batteries if there is a short, but, just wondering if you installed an inline fuse that's hidden from view.

#1042859 - 11/30/20 10:01 AM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Nice setup!

You shouldn't chew on your finger nails.

#1042873 - 11/30/20 02:21 PM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: SRoffe]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: SRoffe
Well Done!

Is there a fuse in the box?
Yes. It's velcro'd to the side of the battery. I'll snap a photo of it soon.

And NickV,I only chew my thumbnail. The rest I file into claws.

#1042874 - 11/30/20 02:23 PM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: ]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Is no one going to comment on my Samantha Fox laminated poster? It's almost as prized as my life sized cut out of Stone Cold Steve Austin.

#1042877 - 11/30/20 02:30 PM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: ]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Something I heard about deep cycle batteries came of some used on trains at Disneyland. They lasted years longer than the company thought and iy turns out that how they used them gave the long life. They always ran them way down before charging. For whatever reason, using (say) the top 25% and charging only that eventually mucks up the other 75%.

#1042881 - 11/30/20 02:33 PM Re: Deep cycle battery question [Re: Carcassman]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

I plan on running mine down to like 10%

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |