Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102192 - 11/01/02 06:30 AM STH reels
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
does anyone on this board have experience with STH flyreels? i saw them promoted on OLN the other night.

im interested in opinions on the turbine drag and the cassette system, im not sure of the model number.

#102193 - 11/01/02 04:10 PM Re: STH reels
Scaly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA, USA
I've had an STH "IM-C1.5" model for 4 years and have been happy with it. I'm not sure what the "turbine" drag is, but mine has a disk drag that's very smooth. I've used it a lot for saltwater coho on a 5 wt. rod, and it's held up well. The cartridge system is handy if you have multiple lines.

#102194 - 11/02/02 01:28 AM Re: STH reels
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Stifler-
If you are looking for a reel in which you can load up on extra spools (cassettes) for all your lines, the STH/Cortland is an inexpensive way to go.

I have talked to many, like Scaly, who have had excellent luck with their STH's but I have a much differnt experience.

I have a post-Cortland STH (about 6 years or so ago, Cortland took over the final manufacturing and distribution of these reels) and although it has got its share of steelhead and salmon, it has cost me fish.

This reel has been back to Cortalnd once for warranty repair due to the spindle coming loose from the frame causing an awful rattle when a good fish runs.

At this point the reel comes out of the closet as a backup or so a freind or two can use it. My recommendation is to avoid these reels like the plague (although the pre-Cortland STH's are a damn fine reel) but there are those, like Scaly, who have had excellent luck with theirs.

btw-The turbine drag is a goofy disc contained with a clear plastic case filled with liquid. The turbine drag is suppose to create the lowest startup inertia of any reel on the market but in my opinion it is just a gimmick.

#102195 - 11/04/02 10:14 PM Re: STH reels
affis Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Bellevue WA
I have 5 STH reels and am very impressed with all the models except for the pop cassette model. It is a little too loose for my tastes, although a very serviceable reel. As to the reel with the turbine drag, it works exactly as advertised, and I have never had a moments problem with it. I can set the drag at the lightest setting and the drag will increase as the fish pulls harder. You only have to use the manual drag if you want to horse a fish out of the weeds. My reel which has the turbine drag is the saltwater model, all metal. Haven't tried the ones with the plastic turbine casing. STH/Cortland service is top flight.

#102196 - 11/08/02 01:51 PM Re: STH reels
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
I've had an STH reel since Jake Jordan hooked me up with a machined 5,6,7,8 cassette in the early 90's. I've tortured it, abused it, neglected it, and drug it from Montana to Alaska and everywhere in between. It's been back to the factory several times (including to Cortland lately) for "upgrades" and fixes. Overall, its not been a bad reel. I've caught everything from bluegill to 30 lb Kings on it. It is very servicable. A few years later I bought one of thier pressed models and it has performed about the same. They are not that fancy looking, smooth, or tight as better gear but they work.

Last Sat. I bought a new C-1 for 30 bucks (including spare spool) at Flaming Gorge Lodge in Utah. They were closing them out and it is about the same as my previous STH's. On a ground beef budget they are OK. There also was a nice machined Phos for 50% off (around 90-bucks and I shoulda bought it) that would make a great little steelhead reel.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1078 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645298 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |