Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102880 - 11/09/03 08:14 PM Casting in the wind
Flounder Pounder Offline
Parr

Loc: Olalla
I'm new to this board and also a new fly fisher. After fishing with terminal tackle for many years I have decided to try fly fishing for a new experience. I have not been fly fishing long and the times I have been out I have had a hard time with the wind. I realize the wind can be bothersome making it very hard to cast. Does anyone have any helpful hints or technics for casting in the wind that would be helpful. Thanks!

#102881 - 11/09/03 08:54 PM Re: Casting in the wind
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
When I am trying to fish when it is windy I'll see if there is a way I can cast with the wind. If there is not and my style of fishing permits, then I will use a weightd fly to give the cast a little more speed. Shooting head lines can also heald as dose a heavier rod.

#102882 - 11/09/03 11:30 PM Re: Casting in the wind
Flounder Pounder Offline
Parr

Thanks for the tips!!! Its kinda frustrating wearing your line every other cast because of a sneaky gust of wind but it sure makes you look styl'in... can't quite get use to that hook in my head though...

#102883 - 11/10/03 03:10 AM Re: Casting in the wind
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
With winds, a weighted fly really won't help you much, will actually hurt your cast. They throw off your cast in first place, losing rhythem. They won't flow like they should. Now, if you want to rocket sinktips, that will help the problem. You will want to stay away from bulky flies, keep it simply. Plus, even weighted, a good gusty wind will move that fly. More chances to get impaled by that fly since it has weight added to the pull (besides the line). Trust me, I've experienced it back in the days I' used weighted flies.

What you'll need to do is get to know your rod. If you have a moderate action rod, you may have a problem. Where a fast action rod will help you most. But you'll really want to load that rod with a strong double haul. Keep the line low. I normally will sidecast. You won't always be able to beat the wind. If anything, keep a spare spool loaded with windcutter line. It does hold it's name. Mostly because it's an extremely heavy grain head. Basically like a sinktip, just a floater instead. LOL. It helps out, especially the rookies out there. I haven't been flyfishing long, only about 23 years, so many out there with more experience and better techniques. It's what I've been told and shown how to do. It's worked good for me. Key is knowing your rod, and how it performs. I know casting a more limber loading rod will make it harder to make a strong cast against the wind. Sometimes it helps too, to move up a line weight or two rod.

Where are you at in Olalla? I used to be a UPS driver out there. May have seen me, depends on where you live. My route never went above Mullenix road. But delivered almost everything under it to the Gig Harbor line.

Northwest River Fisherman

#102884 - 11/10/03 04:08 AM Re: Casting in the wind
Flounder Pounder Offline
Parr

Boy, The error in my technic is becoming clearer. Thanks for alot of really helpful info Steelheader69. Fly fishing is a whole new ball of wax for me and the help is appreciated. I live on Nelson rd. I'm sure you delivered to my house a time or two. Thanks again!

#102885 - 11/10/03 11:44 AM Re: Casting in the wind
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
You weren't too specific about the problems that wind is causing you. There is no magic solution to casting directly into the wind; concentrating on technique is the best answer, keeping the cast low helps since the wind is usually a little less fierce right at the surface. When the wind is coming from your casting arm side, a side-arm cast is helpful, but when the wind is too strong for that, tilting the rod to move the rod tip to the downwind side of of your body is the best solution. That way the wind is always blowing the line, leader and fly away from you. It may seem difficult at first but, with practice, becomes second nature.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 172 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |