Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102886 - 11/10/03 04:29 PM Broken Rod
Fishingjunky15-2 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
While fishing the Hood Canal on Sunday, a chum broke by 8 weight right in half. I was suprised becaus I was using a 13# tippet. So, I think it is time to upgrade to a better rod, the broken one was "Three Forks" by Cabelas. I'm thinking about a Sage, St. Croix or even a Loomis. Any recomendations?

#102887 - 11/10/03 04:42 PM Re: Broken Rod
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
What's your price range? That's a good starting point when you're looking for a rod. If your spending limit is $250 then it wouldn't be worth your while to hear recomendations for most Sage, Winston, T&T's, etc.

#102888 - 11/10/03 04:56 PM Re: Broken Rod
Fishingjunky15-2 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Not quite sure yet. Got to see how much, if any, my dad will pay. I'm looking flr somewher between $100-200. I will have to looking into it more and try to shop around. If anybody is selling or knows of some deals I would not mind knowing....

#102889 - 11/10/03 05:02 PM Re: Broken Rod
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
Try eBay. I have found some awesome deals on fly fishing equipment there- with good replacement warranties!

#102890 - 11/10/03 07:17 PM Re: Broken Rod
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
find something that has a good guarantee. You might check what Cabela's has for a guarantee. Rod probably had a crack or scratch in it already.

#102891 - 11/10/03 08:36 PM Re: Broken Rod
Flounder Pounder Offline
Parr

Loc: Olalla
The St Croix rods are tough to beat for the money. Plus a unconditional life time warranty on all there flyrods. There are some great buys right now on new legend ultras on ebay also. smile

#102892 - 11/11/03 04:11 PM Re: Broken Rod
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
If you are planning on using the rod for steelhead/salmon in the rivers, I would highly suggest stepping up to a 9'6" over the standard 9'. The extra 6 inches makes all the differance in the world when you are waded deep, trying to hit the far seam or slot. It also offers you better line control and better roll casting capabalities.

But, finding a decent 9'6" in your price range can be difficult. It is much easier to track down a 9'er.

BUT, check out the Scott V2 9'6" #8. It is a sweet casting rod out to about 70', will throw larger flies and 'tips without a problem and offers a lifetime warranty (plus it is made in the States as well). It comes in at a little under $200. If you can go a few bucks over $200, you can not beat the 896 Sage DS2 which runs $225 (I believe).

Lastly, the best thing you can do, is stop by your favorite flyshop and cast various rods in your price range and see which one fits you best.

#102893 - 11/12/03 01:57 AM Re: Broken Rod
Rob Allen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver WA
First things first.. You broke your rod on a chum, The chum didn't "break your rod in half"

If you can get your dad to bring you down to Woodland you can usually get a good deal on a lamiglass second. a good rod for 70-150 bucks

#102894 - 11/12/03 10:08 PM Re: Broken Rod
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I realise that it was mostlikly my fault by not letting him run where he wanted to. I was hopping for the line to beak or for him to tire out because there was not much room to land him. My dad said he would spot me $50 because that was the cost for the one that broke. I'm looking into a 9'6" St Criox unless I find something else. Will try Sportco and The Morning Hatch this Saturday.

#102895 - 11/17/03 05:30 PM Re: Broken Rod
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

FJ,

Rob makes an important point. There's an educational opportunity for you here. What part of the breakage was not your fault? Using 13# tippet? How were you holding the rod? It may help you to know that even tarpon rods have only 8 or 10 pounds of raw lifting power. Exerting any greater force is likely to result in the rod snapping.

Personnally, I don't think there's anything wrong with Cabella's three forks rods that upgrading will solve. I'd hate to see you spend even more money without learning how to use the rod and then end up with a broken expensive rod (although generous warranties mean the angler doesn't have to learn how to handle his gear.).

Given where you're at on the experience and learning curve, I'd recommend replacing your broken rod with another like it. Cabella's may give you a break, so it could be very worthwhile to check that out first. That's what I would do.

I seem to write a lot of posts recommending against expensive tackle. It's not that I'm against the expensive stuff. I feel there needs to be a counter voice, demonstrating that the fish won't find you lacking if you don't try to spend your way to success. I fished for years with a 8 wt, 8 1/2' fiberglass flyrod I built for about $16. Caught hundreds of steelhead on it, and the fish never knew I wasn't using the most expensive Sage or Loomis available.

I believe it is important to have tackle that is well suited to the purpose. That seldom requires the most expensive stuff available. I have Hardy and Bogdan reels and split cane bamboo rods that are now embarassingly expensive, but I didn't buy them because I thought I might hook or land more fish. I bought them for their aesthetic value.

So unless your dad has nothing better to spend $ on than replacing your broken toys, I think you should see what Cabella's will do for you.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#102896 - 11/17/03 07:41 PM Re: Broken Rod
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Salmo:

I'm going to get the cabelas rod replaced, but it is going to take weeks to get it fixed while as I type this the Chum run is just starting to get good and steelies are just around the corner. I also realise that I handled the situation wrong; it's not good for the rod to try to unhook a 15 pound Chum in waist deep water when it is hooked in the back dorsal fin and it is not compleatly tired out yet. My mistake.

So I bought a St. Croix 9'6" 8# from Sportco for $105. I did this so that I would have a rod to fish with for the rest of the season (and from now on) and also for the life time warrenty. The cabelas rod had a one year warrenty, which I will use so either my dad can use it or so I have a backup rod, probably both.

I will say this though. After testing the new St. Croix on some Chum yesterday, I already found that it has a little more backbone, it casts/loads up better and it has better line control.

Again thanks for everyones imput.

#102897 - 11/18/03 02:46 AM Re: Broken Rod
Nymph Offline
Smolt

Loc: Oregon
I had heard a lot of good stuff about St. Croix, so I was feeling pretty content that I had three St. Croix rods. Well, that was before I broke one and had to call them to come to rescue. I found out that the rod I purchased several years ago is no longer made and that their limited warranty is pro-rated. Thus, I would get $90 toward a new rod. I paid $190 for it back then. I think it's the worst warranty program going among the top-tier manufacturers.

#102898 - 11/18/03 05:45 AM Re: Broken Rod
Dutchman Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma
About the warrenty. This is simply my opinion and you can take it for what it is worth. I spent nearly 600 for my 9 weight Sage 4 or 5 yrs. ago. My theory is I paid 600 for A 300 rod. See how that works? By the way 9 wt. is the only safe way to go when fishing for Chum. I am sure rod mfg.'s must have nightmares every year during Chum season. My Partner has broken two rods in the lst three weeks.First A brasnd new 8 wt RPLxi approx. $ 8oo. and then rather than takeing me up on my offer to use my 9 wt. He broke his 9' 9" GL3. He went to A gun fight with A pocket knife.

#102899 - 11/18/03 09:12 PM Re: Broken Rod
Flounder Pounder Offline
Parr

Some St Croix rods have lifetime warrantys others have a one year warranty. It is my understanding that all of St Croixs flyrods have lifetime warrantys ( Legend elite, Legend ultra, Avid, Premier, Pro graphite. This does not apply to some of there spinning and baitcast rods. By the way, the Pro graphite is being discontinued. A friend of mine busted a pro graphite an received a new Premeir series rod from St Croix which is a step up to the next model. smile

#102900 - 11/19/03 12:27 AM Re: Broken Rod
Nymph Offline
Smolt

Flounder Pounder,

Mine was a Legend model fly rod, under a "limited" lifetime warranty. My dissatisfaction with St. Croix is that they can use the same excuse in the future when they rename thier rods to deny full replacement service.

The "new" Premier rod is not an upgrade from Pro Graphite, but merely a new name with exactly the same components: SC II graphite blank, same reel seat, snake guides. Except for the NEW 2 year warranty, instead of the lifetime warranty. It's just a gimmick to deny the owner the lifetime warranty in the future.

#102901 - 11/19/03 02:19 AM Re: Broken Rod
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
Actually, depends on the rod company. I know my buddy broke one of his older Lamis I think it was. A model not made anymore. He paid I think $20 and they upgraded to what would be the next best model. Not bad for a rod that was like 20 years old. Just depends. I've never dealt with St. Croix, so can't say how they are. But most will back their product if there is a name change. Same thing happened to one of my RPL's. It was my fault, I let a hard running fish take me around boat and I tapped the tip against the gunnel. Didn't fail that day, but did fail a month later. Can't remember what the RPL is now (sure Rob would know lol). But I got my rod back, just paid the standard fee, no problems at all and good as new. Luckily for me, I don't pay top dollar for my sages (I buy them used) and still get same service and fraction of the cost.

Northwest River Fisherman

#102902 - 11/19/03 03:22 AM Re: Broken Rod
Flounder Pounder Offline
Parr

Nymph, You are correct about the premier rods. It was my mistake. My friend recevied a imperial not a premier when he broke his pro graphite. Its a sad day when a company thats been in business as long as St Croix starts trying mislead there consumers on what they are getting for warrantys on there rods. Sorry to here you have had bad dealings with them. I own 2 St Croix rods myself. I hope I do not have the same problem you experienced with them when I need a warranty service.

#102903 - 11/20/03 11:08 PM Re: Broken Rod
Steeliegreg Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
The St. Croix Avid series has served me well. Many, many steelies and salmon. And when they break, they fix them for free.

Can't say more.

#102904 - 12/03/03 05:07 PM Re: Broken Rod
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
That sounds like a rookie mistake!

Thought you NWA types weren't supposed to act like rookies, or is it just talk.

#102905 - 12/16/03 01:23 AM Re: Broken Rod
Nymph Offline
Smolt

You can rest assured until they drop your rod model and replace it with something else. Then when you break it, you're SOL! wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (DrifterWA, Tug 3), 112 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |