Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104195 - 12/27/04 11:11 PM US Youth Fly Fishing team
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I got this from another site.

"The US is planning on sending another team to the World Championships this year in Poland. Candidates need to be under the age of 18 as of December 31st 2004 and over the age of 15. If you know of "an tallented kids in your area please feel free to drop me an email.
We are looking for candidates who can meet the following criteria."
1. Have a fly fishing back ground, a diverse knowledge of the sport, and are physically capable of competiting.
2. Are responsible and can act in a manner that represents the USA in a positive manner.
3. Have the ability to be trained in the methods that are effective on the waters we will be fishing.
4. Have the ability to travel abroad at the end of the summer of 2005 for a period of roughly a month, with their parents permission.
5. Have the ability to make the training sessions that are to be held once this spring and once this summer.
6. Can provide a list of references, resume, and team questionaire.

We are also looking for sponsors interested in supporting the US Youth Team. So far the USA has participated in two comptitions. The first produced a tem Silver Medal and an individual Gold. In the second we placed 7th among the participating teams. With tallent and sponsors we have the ability to train very capable teams to represent the USA.

Interested candidates and sponsors can contact me at flyfishar@hotmail.com. I can also be contacted by the phone numbers listed on my website. I'll have further information in mid January regarding the specifics of the Championships.

John Wilson
Captain
US Youth Fly Fishing Team

#104196 - 12/28/04 07:52 PM Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team
First Light Offline
Smolt

I know John Wilson from Arkansas, heck of a nice fellow. Matter of fact we traded messages today. Hes giving some good old natured kidding again.

FL

#104197 - 12/29/04 01:18 PM Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Divers,

I think this is one of those "to each his own" kind of things. I like the idea of encouraging young people to take up fly fishing. However, I won't support anything that encourages competitive fly fishing. I'm enough of a traditionalist that I like to think of fly fishing as "the contemplative man's recreation." In my experience, competition isn't very contemplative, and often not all that recreational, so these are not a good mix for me.

I'm sure others see it differently, and I hope that's good for them.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#104198 - 01/02/05 11:26 AM Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team
First Light Offline
Smolt

Salmo G

Your like me " a traditionlist" if my past fly fishing mentors from 40 years ago seen what was going on now with this internet fly fishing and other new fly fishing areas such as competition I know what they would have to say.

Heck they used to chastise us youngsters for using nymphs back then on or near the Holy Waters. (No kill fly fish only etc)

Cheers

FL

#104199 - 01/04/05 12:10 AM Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I think I qualify for that although I don't believe I could have it take up that much of my time.

Allwell, I reather would enjoy working a run or stalking a beach all to myself.

#104200 - 01/04/05 11:42 AM Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
I think competition in flyfishing has only a destructive influence, i think it's bad in all it's forms threfore i think the idea of sending teams to compete is a stupid idea as is even holding a compatition.

#104201 - 01/04/05 01:28 PM Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
If it open the door for younger people to join the sport I'm all for it.

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#104202 - 01/07/05 08:07 PM Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team
First Light Offline
Smolt

FF comps. are very big in Europe. Maybe its a social event for them ?

FL

#104203 - 01/11/05 09:15 PM Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
im 17, i can fish dry's for trout pretty good, but am pretty unskilled when it comes to wet flies, except lake fishing.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1099 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645295 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |