Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104818 - 12/01/05 02:33 AM Turkey Day Detox On The Sky
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
I had a chance to get out over the Turkey Fest holiday and use my new CPS rod on the Sky with a couple buds. Working out the kinks with a new rod is always fun eh? We started out high up and hit a couple spots on both forks first, looking for late summer steel. Nada. I even tried skating some dries but nothing wanted to play, so we went to a couple spots lower on the mainstem. laugh

First up was a silly little bull that wanted to maim, torture and execute my purple woolly bugger

Then after a celebratory corn dog and Foster's Bitter, the weather cleared and we were off to scout new spots.

A couple days later we were back at it, hitting some of my old haunts on the middle river. I got this feisty little silver on the ugliest damn scraggly brown bugger you ever saw in your life, this fly had been through the ringer and looked like it was crapped out the hind end of a goat!

A couple fishless hours later, I hooked up an indicator on a floating line and put on a pink bunny leech, dead drifting it on the current seams. After about 15 casts, the 'cator zipped under and rocketed out to midriver at lightning speed. I woke my sluggish arse up from a post-lunch "Guinness Waking Nap" to set the hook. He hit it hard! You can see he took it pretty deep in his piehole. Pretty rugged stuff for a late summer hatchery fish......some nice jumps too.

Then I had a surprise about two hours later. The day was winding down, I was swinging a huge black bugger on a 15' Rio type 6 head looped off my floater, and THWACK the rod buries while I'm yapping to my buds about having a cold brew back at my rig. Big, fat, mean and aggressive.....this old boy was obviously protecting his 'hood, so I landed him as quickly as I could, my already-buzzed pal snapped this quick, crappy, hazy shot and I let him go make more babies.

Not a bad way to spend a few days. Weird thing is......not ONE of us hooked any chum either day or even saw one caught! smile

#104819 - 12/01/05 02:45 AM Re: Turkey Day Detox On The Sky
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
The top picture looks like a spot on the N/F Sky that I know about.

Jim

#104820 - 12/01/05 03:20 PM Re: Turkey Day Detox On The Sky
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Mingo,

Keep your back cast up, and for criminy sakes, get some chest waders. . . . just funnin' ya'.

I went out the day after Thanksgiving, but wore my rain jacket the entire day. Obviously we were experiencing different weather systems.

When you toss the floating line, are you using a weighted bugger, or do you put split shot on your leader? I keep trying this off and on, but can't make myself stick with it, when swinging a sink tip is so much more pleasant. Some good spots just ain't made to swing, however.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#104821 - 12/01/05 05:40 PM Re: Turkey Day Detox On The Sky
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Man:
The top picture looks like a spot on the N/F Sky that I know about.

Jim
OLG MAN

You don't know any place that you can't drive too
laugh

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#104822 - 12/02/05 01:42 AM Re: Turkey Day Detox On The Sky
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmo g.:
Mingo, Keep your back cast up, and for criminy sakes, get some chest waders. . . . just funnin' ya'.I went out the day after Thanksgiving, but wore my rain jacket the entire day. Obviously we were experiencing different weather systems.When you toss the floating line, are you using a weighted bugger, or do you put split shot on your leader? I keep trying this off and on, but can't make myself stick with it, when swinging a sink tip is so much more pleasant. Some good spots just ain't made to swing, however.Sincerely,Salmo g.
rofl You should see the ugly barbell eyed beast I was flinging at the time.....I call it the Tiger Shark, it weighs about the same as an adult dachsund. Gives nice "backcast saggage". Casting those is more like swinging a pick than casting a flyrod...THWACK! THWACK! like a pendulum laugh

The jackets were on and off all day the first day and fleece city the 2nd day. I use weighted buggers with a floater and indicator a lot, personally I prefer to have the weight in the fly and not on the leader. My exception is egg patterns, then I'll use shot. But a lot of times I tie a dropper off a fairly heavy barbell bunny leech and put an egg pattern on that......kind of like serving up two desserts, it's fun to see which one they like. I also love swinging sink tips with unweighted flies. Casting is a lot more fun that way eh?

It's funny, I used to wear only chest waders. Now I absolutely hate them and haven't worn them in about three years. I have breathable waist-hi waders but I just don't like the feeling of being bound into a pair of fishing overalls all day long. Pain in the butt when you need to pee. I wear fleece lined snowboard pants over capilene thermals in the winter, and a lot of times I just stick with hip boots. Maybe it's a carryover from when I was a wee lad, or maybe I'm just a big dork. laugh

Jim, I'm sure you've fished that spot but have you been in there lately? the nasty flood last year brought in HUGE logs that block the trail so it's a rail pain going around the logjam and over the giant boulders to get in there now. Be careful if you try it, I slipped and smacked an elbow on a rock.

#104823 - 12/02/05 01:54 AM Re: Turkey Day Detox On The Sky
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Well I guess that it is a different spot. I only go to places that are easy to reach. Bad knees.

Jim

#104824 - 12/06/05 12:26 PM Re: Turkey Day Detox On The Sky
KerryS Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA
Quote:
rofl You should see the ugly barbell eyed beast I was flinging at the time.....I call it the Tiger Shark, it weighs about the same as an adult dachsund. Gives nice "backcast saggage". Casting those is more like swinging a pick than casting a flyrod...THWACK! THWACK! like a pendulum laugh
If it is that hard to cast, why fish it?

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1026 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645362 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |