Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#819510 - 02/01/13 03:27 AM Rod holder?
El hefe Offline
Fry

Loc: Kitsap County
So what's the hot external rod holder for a vehicle these day's? I'm a cheap motherf ucker so keep that in mind.

#819518 - 02/01/13 05:17 AM Re: Rod holder? [Re: El hefe]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

I think there was a thread in the past about them. I have heard alot of bad stories about rods getting damaged and even some of the magnetic holders flying off rigs. I don't trust them, but do a search. You might get some info from the archives.

#819540 - 02/01/13 11:40 AM Re: Rod holder? [Re: metaladdiction]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
The hot rod holder for me is breaking it down and putting it in my rig....
No love for the external rod holders.

#819614 - 02/01/13 03:22 PM Re: Rod holder? [Re: stonefish]
yarnballsdeep
Unregistered

If u have a pickup, those saddle deals that drape over the tailgate get it done. A whopping 10 bones or something.

#819683 - 02/01/13 07:38 PM Re: Rod holder? [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I'm with Stonefish and put my rods inside the rig. The cheapo external alternative that impresses me is the rod stuck under a windshield wiper blade. Nothing says bad ass like that!

Sg

#819690 - 02/01/13 07:47 PM Re: Rod holder? [Re: Salmo g.]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Yeah, but if you break your rod down and put it in your rig how do the fellow Ascoteers know to salute you or flip you off when you pass each other on the road along the river?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#819700 - 02/01/13 08:01 PM Re: Rod holder? [Re: Todd]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Todd
Yeah, but if you break your rod down and put it in your rig how do the fellow Ascoteers know to salute you or flip you off when you pass each other on the road along the river?

Fish on...

Todd

They would have to fly the official ascot flag from their antenna.
If none available, then an old school Kotex rag is acceptable.

#819702 - 02/01/13 08:06 PM Re: Rod holder? [Re: Direct-Drive]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

More seriously, though...well, a little more, at least.

Having your rod on the hood of your rig is unsafe, costs too much money, and saves you approximately four seconds of having to put it together when you stop...and that's only if you aren't walking thru the woods where you'll just have to take it off the holder and break it in half anyway.

My thoughts are that the main reason to have it is to show off what kind of rod or reel you are casting well with that day.

Fish on...

Todd

#819731 - 02/01/13 08:51 PM Re: Rod holder? [Re: Todd]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

I was gonna mention the Ascot credibility earlier, but already teased El Hefe a bit in the nymphing thread. I bet my 82 Toyota Turdcell would look BADAZZ with my Z Axis 8129 strapped to the hood, roof, trunk and sticking out both ends. Hey, ettiquetely speaking if you add one of these wink is that enough to let people know your just messing with them? Damn spey setup is worth 3 times what I initially paid for my beater banking transportation.

#819740 - 02/01/13 09:30 PM Re: Rod holder? [Re: metaladdiction]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I never thought about it Todd. I leave the worrying about ascots to you and Stam.

I've heard the hood and roof magnetic and suction rod holders are practical for fishing inland rivers like the Clearwater and Snake where you can drive along the road from pool to pool.

Metaladdiction,

Entering this sub-forum is defacto messing around. Any pretext of serious fly fishing vanished from here several years ago. Fortunately there's another forum for that.

Sg

#819753 - 02/01/13 09:55 PM Re: Rod holder? [Re: Salmo g.]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

I've heard the hood and roof magnetic and suction rod holders are practical for fishing inland rivers like the Clearwater and Snake where you can drive along the road from pool to pool.

For toodling along pool hopping, the magnet is supposed to be good.
If bugs are dyin' on the windshield, not so much.

(I'd still use some sort of backup tether)

#819805 - 02/02/13 12:52 AM Re: Rod holder? [Re: Direct-Drive]
El hefe Offline
Fry

Loc: Kitsap County
Dipsh its rum amuck up in here. Simple advice/awnsers seem the rarity.

#819811 - 02/02/13 01:14 AM Re: Rod holder? [Re: El hefe]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
I screwed a couple of those cheapo Berkeley rod holders into the roof rack on my cheapo SUV and don't mind the setup at all.

Never had them bounce off the roof doing 65+ on the highway. Very convenient for spot hopping and/or moving 8+ rods to and from the guide shack on a daily basis.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#819813 - 02/02/13 01:25 AM Re: Rod holder? [Re: El hefe]
yarnballsdeep
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: El hefe
Dipsh its rum amuck up in here. Simple advice/awnsers seem the rarity.

Says the dude who misspelled every other word...

Dig the setup Coley..A true fish tank.

#819819 - 02/02/13 01:40 AM Re: Rod holder? [Re: El hefe]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

El Hefe, you get what you pay for. I think you got some great advice from some guys that have been fishing for many years. Put your rods in the rig to keep them safe. Seems to be the consensus thus far. As far as a cheap external rod carrier I found a youtube video several weeks ago while searching out fly patterns. Some guy does a tutorial on building your own using magnets from speakers. If you build one, let us know how it works out.

Sg I hear ya. Fortunately there are some posters that give just enough educational input to make it worthwhile along with the entertainment factor. I have been lurking the other site you allude to for several years now, maybe its time for me to become more active since I seem to be splitting my fishing time about evenly between gear and fly rods and have much to learn. I truelly enjoy and respect the posts whether it be informational or friendly banter by many of the members of PP and hope that the recurring Ascot theme is just that.

That's a functional inexpensive rack Coley. Like that the rods are'nt angled up the windshield. How are you strapping over the top?

Btw Sg how did your trip go?

Edited by metaladdiction (02/02/13 01:50 AM)

#819836 - 02/02/13 02:38 AM Re: Rod holder? [Re: metaladdiction]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Originally Posted By: metaladdiction
How are you strapping over the top?

No need. They stay put just fine. Bounced em down many a gravel road and logged a lot of highway miles with no close calls or lost rods.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#820049 - 02/03/13 03:33 PM Re: Rod holder? [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Sorry you don't like the answers, Hefe...don't ask questions if you don't want answers, or if you have answers in mind just go with those and don't bother with anyone else's.

Charles, the "showing off your rod" part was T.I.C., bu if it were projection wouldn't you expect to see all the gear thugs with their fishing rods magnetized all over the hoods of their cars, too?

Mine are right next to my flyrods...broken down in half and in the back of the rig where they don't fall off, don't get hit by rocks, and don't require yet another piece of gear that I don't need wink

Fish on...

Todd

#820076 - 02/03/13 06:48 PM Re: Rod holder? [Re: ]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Jeep looks like a serious surf setup, but my favorite is the celica.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1023 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |