Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102345 - 12/05/02 12:51 PM Hook choice for down & deep
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Similar subject has been covered many times, but I'm having a senior moment and cannot recall the details. What fly hook do you prefer for winter steelhead flies - and more importantly - why?

I'm partial to the Eagle Claw 1157B because they're a strong wire, hold fish well, take a good sharp point, and can roll over many a good sized river bottom stone before I have to re-sharpen. And they used to be pretty cheap. Last time I bought them, I didn't think they were a real bargain.

I tried Tiemco in size 2 and 2/0 and with the barbs pinched down, I kept losing fish. Maybe a coincidence, or maybe the hook, I'm not sure. And they were way overpriced to be fishing against the stones, meaning losing a box of 'em over a season.

Mustads used to seem good at holding fish and reasonably priced. But every time they swim near a rock, I have to re-sharpen them.

So tell me what you prefer, but the price of joining this thread is to give your reason(s) for your preference.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#102346 - 12/05/02 05:41 PM Re: Hook choice for down & deep
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Salmo,

I, too, like the EC 1157 (series) for their sharpest and staying power. They are a good "working" hook for the Skagit. Additionally, a sparsely tied fly gets down in a hurry on these hooks. Also, I like the gold and nickle plating on different patterns and they make a fairly good hook on tube flies. However, I take a disliking to the large wire diameter.

Ditto on Tiemco. Way too costly for the "rock fish" in Winter plus constant sharpening makes these hooks not worth the extra money. Targus is the same hook at a few bucks cheaper.

Mustad- I just plainly don't like them. I had more of these hooks break than I can count. Maybe the temper process has changed since I last used them (late 80's). Another problem I have found is with the eye. Either it is not fully closed or exposed with sharp edges. Maybe I am being a little abrasive towards these hooks, but I have had a lot of problems with them.

Dai-Ichi..??? Beautiful hooks- too brittle!

Gammie T10-6H? I like them, but they are a light hook. I can always add a little weight. Keeps a great point, stronger than normal. A little on the pricey side. Come in different colors (Red, Green, Blue, Black)- pleasing to the eye and pattern.

Partridge hooks are "soft" and require constant attention.

The Gammies get my overall vote. Followed by the EC 1157, Tiemco, and Dai-Ichi respectively.

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#102347 - 12/05/02 06:55 PM Re: Hook choice for down & deep
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
I use Gammies also,but as I'm also old I don't seem to have that senior problem. beathead

#102348 - 12/06/02 11:26 PM Re: Hook choice for down & deep
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
The Gammies are a great hook but a little too light of a wire for what I like.

The Alec Jackson Steelhead Iron has quickly become a favorite hooke of mine...it is a 1x short, 1x heavy and seems to hold fish better then the standard AJ Spey Hook.

They aren't cheap but they've been treating me well and because they are a heavy wire hook, they get down!!!

#102349 - 12/10/02 10:32 PM Re: Hook choice for down & deep
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I've always been partial to the gamis because they seem to hold their point sharpness well. They also seem to be a little more forgiving on those sloppy casts where you tick a rock behind you ... don't seem to snap them as much as others. Tick a rock ... yeah, I know rolleyes , but my fave spot has this big gravel bar behind me and I'm about nose deep wading at the top of the slot laugh

Has anyone tied much with the TMC 7931C??

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#102350 - 12/10/02 11:03 PM Re: Hook choice for down & deep
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob:
...but my fave spot has this big gravel bar behind me and I'm about nose deep wading at the top of the slot laugh
Time for the two-hander... wink

Bob-
Have you tied on the A. Jackson Steelhead Irons yet?? They take the abuse much better then the standard AJ's as well as the TMC's and get down like a rock...plus being a 1x short and stouter, they hold a fish much better then the TMC or standard AJ's...

Although I must say, the 7931 is one wicked hook!!!

#102351 - 12/20/02 12:04 AM Re: Hook choice for down & deep
fred evans Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: White City, Oregon
.02 cents worth here. Interesting to be called a "smolt" at age 60.

But back to topic: Summer, winter, etc., I'll stick with a thin wire hook. Yes, you'll get them handed back to you on occation shaped like the letter "L," but you'll consistently hook more fish.

So you loose a few more? How many fish do you remember that ended up in the stove at 375 degrees for one hour?
fae

#102352 - 12/20/02 12:21 AM Re: Hook choice for down & deep
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Fred-
I know you are a huge fan of tube flies (come to think of it, I have some X-Points I was going to send your way but totally spaced on)...but when you did fish traditional hooks....what were your favorites?

#102353 - 12/20/02 12:24 AM Re: Hook choice for down & deep
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by fred evans:
.02 cents worth here. Interesting to be called a "smolt" at age 60.
...at around 30 posts you will become a returning adult!...at 1000 you will become a carcass!

...and in no way was I insinuating 'anything' by bringing up the later!! laugh

#102354 - 12/20/02 01:15 PM Re: Hook choice for down & deep
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Welcome abord Fred. At 500 you become a Spawner. And at my age I'm way to old to do that. How's fishing down there. sleep

#102355 - 12/21/02 03:42 PM Re: Hook choice for down & deep
mattzoid Offline
Alevin

Loc: Everett, WA
Oldman, your everywhere. Alec Jackson Spey is my Choice for banging off the bottom.

Matt

#102356 - 12/21/02 05:05 PM Re: Hook choice for down & deep
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Not every where just on all the good sites. sleep

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |